Schoolgirl Suspended for Cancer Head Shave

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Schoolgirl Suspended for Cancer Head Shave

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm

A girl is suspended from school for shaving her hair off to raise money for cancer charities as her husband has leukemia.

What do you think?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/schoolgi ... -i6lr.html
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Schoolgirl Suspended for Cancer Head Shave

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:19 pm

I think it's ridiculous. I know schools have strict dress codes and all that but as she was raising money for a charity she should be congratulated and rewarded for her bravery. It did mention that there were other issues where she misbehaved but her father is terminally ill and she must be going through a lot of emotions right now and she needs support - it's good there is a facebook group supporting her.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm

It strikes me as extremely harsh and foolish.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Another stupid suspension for a reason blown out of proportion, i was suspended last year for having my eyebrow pierced and when i got beaten up the people in my school that didn't even get a detention, school's love handing down punishments for absolutely nothing these days.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Macha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 pm

My school is weird. They don't care about:

• Mobile Phones (as long as they are on silent)
  • Long/Very Short Hair (They probably would suspend you for completely shaving off your hair however, at least until it grows back.)

But they really really really hate hoodies.

I don't know if that's Department of Education policy, or just my school's principal.
Macha
Forum Master

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Macha wrote:My school is weird. They don't care about:

• Mobile Phones (as long as they are on silent)
  • Long/Very Short Hair (They probably would suspend you for completely shaving off your hair however, at least until it grows back.)

But they really really really hate hoodies.

I don't know if that's Department of Education policy, or just my school's principal.

School's principal and / or board of management. as far as i know the only thing the department of education have a say in school punishment in ireland is expulsion but their is only guidlines set out from them. Also there could be guidlines for suspension but i definitely know there is guidlines for expulsions that schools have to follow
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 am

I can sort of see the Headmaster's point of view as it may cause a little bit of a stir but as it is for charity, it's completely outrageous to suspend the girl and blow the situation completely out proportion.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby druchi » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:38 pm

Thankfully our headmaster tried to have a say in our appearance but a few of my friends parents got around and complained saying that he should have no right of say to what we do with our appearance (Didn't stop him from trying though.) As In school I had long hair and frequently dyed it the thought of getting it short was something I was not at all amused about especially because of my headteacher.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Return to Debate Forum