Forum guidelines - please read

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Forum guidelines - please read

Postby parnassus » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:08 pm

It's pretty remarkable that DT has existed for well over five years without any need to have guidelines in the debate forum. I'm a bit sad that we need them now. Hopefully they will help to preserve the old spirit and prevent threads from getting too heated/personal.

1.) Please don't forget that the main purpose of Dyspraxic Teens is to be a support forum. Most of the people who post in the debate forum have become friendly with each other on other parts of the board, which it makes it surprisingly difficult to be hot-tempered even if the issue being debated is very important to you personally. If you find yourself offending others, and you spend most of your time in this subforum, perhaps it would do you some good to become more active in other parts of the board before you post here. If we don't do this is gets easy to forget that there are actual people behind the usernames.

2.) People with a variety of congitive disabilities post here. Some of them have dyslexia or more profound language impairments that make it difficult for them to express their ideas clearly in writing. Don't assume that this makes you cleverer than they are. This attitude will inevitably show through in your posts, and it will upset people. There must have been times in your life when you felt patronised because of your difficulties. Don't do it to others.

3.) Where intelligence is concerned, there are DTers who have generalised learning disabilities (overall IQ of 70 or lower) and DTers with IQ scores that place them in the top 1% of the population. We're also educated to different levels. That doesn't matter here - or, more to the point, it shouldn't matter. Everybody is welcome to participate. Some of the most insightful posts that I've ever read on DT were made by one of the users with learning disabilities. If you can't appreciate that, perhaps this is not the right subforum for you.

4.) If you can't make your point politely and with kindness, your point isn't worth making.

5.) There are worse crimes that people could commit than disagreeing with you. If you find yourself getting angry with somebody, remind yourself of this and leave the computer for a while.

6.) Give people the benefit of the doubt if they offend you. Remember that a lot of users here have significant difficulty with communication and social skills, and they may not be aware of how their posts come across. Of course, it's possible that they fully intended to be rude. Give them the benefit of the doubt anyway. What have you got to lose by doing so?

7.) Remember that you are under no obligation to post here. If a thread is making you frustrated or upset, you're quite free to leave. (If your immediate reaction is, "But that's like letting the other person win the argument!" this is a definite sign that you need a break. ;))

8.) Do not be rude to other people even if they're rude to you. (If your immediate reaction is, "But that's like letting the other person win the argument!" this is a definite sign that you need to go and calm down with some hot chocolate and Bach's Cello Suite Number 1.)*

9.) Try and enjoy yourselves. I debate a lot with my friends in real life. It is always fun and there are rarely any teeth or bloodstains on the carpet after we have finished.

* The cello is non-obligatory, but comes highly recommended.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Re: Forum guidelines - please read

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:55 pm

You have inspired me to go and listen to the Cello Suite 1!

Good post too, hopefully it'll clear up things around here, I think I'm probably guilty of a few of the things posted here so will try to clear myself up in that regard. :)
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Sure thing boss. Well, I'll try to keep 2 in mind, at least.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Edited to add: Could you make the guidelines a sticky topic?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:47 pm

I've tried, but for some reason the option to make topics sticky doesn't seem to exist in the Debate Forum. :? I will ask Helen and Darren about it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 pm

OK. Thanks for trying.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to Debate Forum