Kindness or cruelty?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Kindness or cruelty?

Postby Steph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASG6r9rhwcE&feature

I came across this link on another forum I use regularly. There is a debate among YouTube users who have commented on the video-some are full of praise for the woman while others are saying it's cruel to keep so many cats in such a cramped space on little money. I am not sure what to think-to her credit, the cats look clean and healthy and it has to be better than scavenging for scraps on the street but it does look far too cramped and surely they can't all be getting the same amount of food and attention. What do people on DT think?
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Kindness or cruelty?

Postby k9ruby » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Mixed feelings. In a way I admire the women for having such kindness, but I think it would be far better if she activiley looked for good homes for each of them, as her crowd is only going to get bigger if she continues adopting them. The conditions are not ideal, but neither are the streets- BUT I do agree wherever possible cats need access to outdoors (like dogs), and if they do have this access to have a wonder on occasion a couple of times a day, then I don't see the problem.

However, if they spend every day cooped up like this 24/7 or have any signs of health issues (bedsores/matted/ skin burns/infections from sitting in other cats feaces due to lack of space/ matted coats etc) then yes it would be cruel.

I also would be VERY worried if one of the cats contracted a potentially fatal disease- would she be able to quarantine a good significant part of the population? If she can't due to space requirements, if this were to happen she would be doing more harm than good.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby keegan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:27 pm

i undertsand why she is doing it, i mean i'd love to have that many cats but like, i've heard on tv that keeping more than 7 cats or something was considered cruel, the cats don't look ill or cruely treated but it may affext her health having that many cats, and yea i agree not all the cats must be getting the same amount off foods
keegan

Postby Remus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:35 pm

I think her heart and motive is in the right place but for me, no, it's just wrong to keep animals in conditions like that. Fair enough they do look quite healthy compared to other overcrowdness I've seen but a small apartment for a woman and 136 cats is just not on. Cats need freedom, they need to be in a wildlife centre where they can proper care and treatment and if it was over here, the RSPCA would just take those cats into their care without a second thought.

Those cats can't possibly be getting the right amount of food and water, it's crowded. I don't even want to think about where they all go to use the toilet. I bet none of those cats have been vaccinated or neutered so the risk of them getting FELV and FIV is extremely high. It would just spread like wildfire between all of them. In the video, there is also a lot of cats fighting which can lead to injure and unnecessary stress. Especially if it is two tomcats, they really go for it, they can be quite vicious and cause some damage. When she comes in with the bucket of food, it's just choas with all that cats jumping around and that is quite dangerous if there is any little kittens among that lot. If they are any pregnant queens in that lot, would she know what to do when it come to give birth?

I could probably go on but for me, it's just cruelty born from kindness.

I mean imagine what would happen if something happened to that woman and then those cats were stuck in that apartment without food and water.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby keegan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 pm

yeah it is cruel, but i don't think she sees it as being cruel so the animal welfare people in russia mustn't be as strong as they are in the UK or the USA, if i had my way i'd take the cats away to be properly re homed.
keegan

Postby Steph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:51 pm

The thing is a lot of people that get prosecuted in this country for keeping animals in overcrowded conditions do not keep them in those conditions out of cruelty. A lot of them have mental health problems or hoarding issues which extend to animals as well as material possessions. I'm not saying that this woman is ill but I think he kindness is misplaced.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby k9ruby » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Those cats can't possibly be getting the right amount of food and water, it's crowded. I don't even want to think about where they all go to use the toilet. I bet none of those cats have been vaccinated or neutered so the risk of them getting FELV and FIV is extremely high. It would just spread like wildfire between all of them. In the video, there is also a lot of cats fighting which can lead to injure and unnecessary stress. Especially if it is two tomcats, they really go for it, they can be quite vicious and cause some damage. When she comes in with the bucket of food, it's just choas with all that cats jumping around and that is quite dangerous if there is any little kittens among that lot. If they are any pregnant queens in that lot, would she know what to do when it come to give birth?

Same here. This is my primary concern. I don't think she means to be cruel, but I suspect she is in the process.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby keegan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:13 pm

yeah, also is her like actual health under risk because of all the cats?
keegan

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:35 pm

LMAO, Animal loving brought to the extreme by some woman.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm

I did find another news report on the same woman and it said that all the male cats had been neutered so that's something at least!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby k9ruby » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 pm

I did find another news report on the same woman and it said that all the male cats had been neutered so that's something at least!

Agreed. :mrgreen:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Well that's some good news at least!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby munizedward » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:30 am

I think its both feelings...if being like that it will brought more happy for that women s life.
munizedward

Postby Priyaluvv8 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm

kindness for wanting to rescue stray cats she should start a charity
Priyaluvv8
Super Poster

Return to Debate Forum