Burglars breaking into your home - what would you do?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Burglars breaking into your home - what would you do?

Postby Remus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/1 ... -intruders

On the sanctuary (the radio show I listen to) tonight, they were debating about this article *pokes it* about where Myleene Klass was in her house on the night with her daughter upstairs and she saw two young suspicious youths in her garden looking through the window and she basically grabbed a knife as she was in the kitchen and basically waved it around to scare them off which obviously worked but now the police are saying she the one who acted illegally even so it was in her own home.

So they propose the scenario, what would you do in that situation? If someone was breaking in and you are on your own, what would you do? Hide? Escape? Defend?

They also added another fact to it later on, what would you do if you were alone in the house but you had kids upstairs sleeping?

I think for me, I would react differently in those two situations. For the first one, I don't care if this makes me a coward I would most likely do a runner or hide because personally, no item or material possession is worth a violent encounter with a burglar or something even worse.

If there was other people in the house especially kids for me, there would be only one option and that would be to defend yourself and your kids. I think I would just grab the nearest item I could use to whack someone with.

I think it's one of those situations where you are damned if you don't but damned if you do because the police are more likely to arrest you for defending yourself and your home but if you don't, dread to think what could happen.

One man came on and said he was burgled a few years ago where he was alone in his home and he heard someone at the front door trying to break in so he rushed to the phone and called the police. Halfway through explaining to the police, the three men got in and one took him into the kitchen and beated him severely whilst the other two load stuff up in their car. When the police eventually got there, the one guy who was beating him in the kitchen said he lived there and he had just fend off this guy (the real houseowner) and that he would like to check the house for other burglars. By the time, the police worked it out, the three guys had gone. Unbelieveable.

So um.. discuss!
Remus
Site Admin

Re: Burglars breaking into your home - what would you do?

Postby stamfordmax » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:47 am

I say I would stand up and defend my home though I would prbably run :? Though I think someone should be able to do whatever it takes to defend their home, it always makes me feel sick when I hear about someone who went to prison for assaulting a burgular. If somone breaks into your home you should be able to do what you want to them
stamfordmax

Postby madame_tigre » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:34 pm

I think it is very difficult to imagine what to do in this situation. I really struggle with any kind of assertiveness or confrontation and dread to think how I would cope. I am disgusted that Myleene was the one who got the 'telling off' though and I think the Police should do more to support those who have been at risk.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:33 pm

I realize there is a huge cultural difference between the US in general and the UK (there is even a huge difference between different regions of the US...here in Alabama, we are very self-reliant and place a high value on personal freedoms) and gun ownership here is extremely high. A lot of you are going to disagree with me on this, but I say lethal force is justifiable in home invasion robberies. If someone breaks into your house, you should have the right to do what you have to do to stop them. I'm not saying that killing them should be the first course of action you should take and you should not enjoy doing it, but you should be free to do so if they refuse to surrender or if they directly threaten you. The best course of action would be to get them into a corner and hold a gun on them until the police arrive, but you should also be ready to pull the trigger if you have no other choice. If thieves know they can be killed if you catch them robbing you, they may think twice before doing so.

Calling the police is all well and good, but their response time is often several minutes (optimistic estimate in rural locations) in a situation where every second counts. If you're defenseless, you could be dead by the time they get there. There is no instant response unless you live right next to a police station, so you have to be ready to protect yourself at all times.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:46 am

Page wrote:I realize there is a huge cultural difference between the US in general and the UK (there is even a huge difference between different regions of the US...here in Alabama, we are very self-reliant and place a high value on personal freedoms) and gun ownership here is extremely high.

Thank you, another poster has realised there is cultural differences.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:46 am

Aww, man... I just lost my entire post! Starts again...

I think for me, it is personally easy to imagine what I would do in that situation but if I was physically put into that situation, I think that would just go out the window with only like 10 seconds to react so I think would act purely on instinct.

I know, I think it is just shameful. She was in her house, mind her own business and I don't blame her for being scared and worried about two suspicious men being in her garden. At the end of the day, she saw them as a threat to her privacy and safety and she did what she thought was right at that time to get those men to leave and I don't blame her for waving a knife around if it gets the message across to them. She could of opened the door and asked what they were doing but that could potentially lead to a more dangerous situation. I think she did the right thing especially with a young child in the house. I don't get how the police can say waving a knife in your own home is illegal, I mean we all have knives in our kitchens and I'm sure we all waved them around at one point whether it be for cooking or to deter intruders.

I agree with you Page. When it comes to defend yourself or your family in your home, I have always preferred the American way to ours with the whole gun licenses and all. I think with the high gun ownership, that makes burglars think twice before actually doing the deed and breaking in and I think that must act as a bit of comfort for some people. I think your laws are a lot more relaxed and a lot more fairer and supportive of its citizens. Fair enough, killing should be a last resort. I would much prefer to disable the intruder by knocking him/her out or shooting them in the leg etc. But over here, I think if we defend ourselves, we're the ones who are more likely to face the prison sentence and be found guilty and then that's our and our family lives wrecked. But if you don't defend yourself, you could end up facing a very violent encounter with a burglar where you or your family could get hurt or even worse.

I think calling the police is great, that should be your first action out of anything but realistically, the police aren't going to get there straight away and come to your rescue so I do think you need to take up arms and get ready to defend yourself if needs be. A couple last night rang up on the show and said they phoned the police up first but then was attacked and tied up by these burglars and the police didn't show up for hours. Just awful.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:06 pm

I would eat them, to gain their courage.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby k9ruby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 pm

OK, here goes. :mrgreen:

Well, I consider myself very lucky at the moment, as at both home and uni, I have a police station/ HQ less than 50 metres away! :P

I am afraid to say I cannot realistically say I would fight anyone off, as I feel useless in confrontation- but like Remus said, I would act on instinct.

There is a fine line between self defense and risking being a criminal yourself. In this situation I think the women was purely within her rights to wave the knife, it was the nearest thing to hand, she didn't make contact with the intruder, and it was a spur in the moment thing to protect her family. Thats fine. The fact that she is being treated like a criminal is pretty bad, but I suspect it is something to do with the courts, as the police are not the ones 'choosing' the punishment if you like.

However, I still do not feel this makes it right to start to introduce guns and make them legal for people to own in the UK (Barring those used for shooting hobbies/hunting and are locked up at every other time).

Yes, they would think twice. But you have to remember:

A) If guns were made legal, they would probably just as obtainable for the criminal as compared to the victim.

B) If you have a weapon, it can be used against you as well as for defense- this is a important point that I wish to make very clear.

What I do think would be better, to protect people like this women would to use every means possible to defend themselves, family and property, and know you are fully within your rights to do so, as long as its not excessive- but then the criminal shouldn't be on your property in the first place.

I feel for the emergency services, really I do, they cannot seem to do right as the government just gives them so much unnecessary paperwork- my dads friend who's a cop had to fill out forms because someone asked the time! This takes up so much time filling it in, going back to the station, entering it onto the system etc.

I would however like to see a more American way of dealing with paperwork, separating policing and paperwork into different roles, and having different people to do the different jobs.

The public also want fast response times (Of course, a fast response would of been more appropriate in this situation!) but they also want to see local police on the beat, having a reassuring presence- fair enough and not unreasonable to ask, but you have to remember that if more police are in squad cars driving about the county on standby for a rapid response call (red call) these are the cars that are driving around FOR A REASON- SO THEY CAN GET TO PEOPLE LIKE THIS LADY ON TIME.

Just sadly, because the service is being taking advantage of and abused, community policing on foot patrol and rapid responses for red calls seem to be very hard to balance, if they are in squad cars, you have to remember their will be less on the beat, and if more are on foot patrol then less will be available for a rapid response for red calls. Not ideal I know!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Page » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm

k9ruby wrote: There is a fine line between self defense and risking being a criminal yourself.

While I agree there is a line, there's nothing unethical about wanting to protect yourself and your possessions. Of course, don't you trust in yourself enough to realize when you're approaching that line and then know better than to step over it? Personally, I would rather trust in myself than be completely reliant on the government to protect me.

However, I still do not feel this makes it right to start to introduce guns and make them legal for people to own in the UK (Barring those used for shooting hobbies/hunting and are locked up at every other time).

A) If guns were made legal, they would probably just as obtainable for the criminal as compared to the victim.

B) If you have a weapon, it can be used against you as well as for defense- this is a important point that I wish to make very clear.

Having a gun is like holding some of your freedom in your hand. It's a huge responsibility and a sobering experience because you realize you have the power to easily end someone's life with the slightest gesture. I've been there and recklessly shooting at anything that moves is something I would have never considered at that moment. People can say what they want about violent video games and movies influencing people but once you actually have held a real weapon in your hands all of that goes out the window. I would be more concerned if someone wasn't a little bit afraid of their loaded gun when they hold it. The first time you shoot a gun is one of those milestone events that change the way you view life. Even with the responsibility I would rather have a gun and not need it than need one and be without.

In the US, convicted felons cannot purchase or own firearms, so any weapons they do have they must gain illegally. (they either steal guns from law-abiding people or get ones that have been smuggled into the country somehow) Since felons are already criminals anyway, they don't care if they break a few more laws so that is hardly a deterrent. All gun control does is make it harder for decent people to defend themselves.

Your gun is less likely to be used against you if you keep it in a secure yet convenient place. I wouldn't store a loaded gun in plain sight but some of the lengths that some states make people go to to secure their guns are ridiculous. I feel that storing an unloaded gun and its ammo together in a box under your bed would probably be good enough in most situations. If you have children you should teach them to have a healthy respect for firearms as early as possible in a safe supervised setting. I feel that some parents can be far too overprotective of their weapons and children see that as some sort of forbidden fruit to play with with predictable results.

Just sadly, because the service is being taking advantage of and abused, community policing on foot patrol and rapid responses for red calls seem to be very hard to balance, if they are in squad cars, you have to remember their will be less on the beat, and if more are on foot patrol then less will be available for a rapid response for red calls. Not ideal I know!

Sounds like you guys need more cops and less government oversight.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby druchi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 pm

I wouldn't honestly care there's blugger all worth stealing in this house now.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:20 am

druchi wrote:I wouldn't honestly care there's blugger all worth stealing in this house now.

It's not just whether or not they get away with any of your possessions-the fact is it's a massive invasion of privacy. A lot of people who have been victims of burglaries report feeling more shaken by the fact that someone has rifled through their personal property than what was actually stolen.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby JamesStanley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:39 pm

I would stay and defend my home i might not b able to put up much of a fight but still i would stay
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby druchi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Well at least this guy has the courtesy to break into my home personally rather than just steal my internet using a pringle tube. Adds a personal touch.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 pm

If I was on my own I would definately hide and phone the police. If I was looking after somebodys kids I would probably grab something sharp and heavy to wave around threateningly.

I don't aprove of the use of physical threats, but for some reason I can't ever bring myself to be entirel level headed when it comes to children's safety. I'm not quite sure why.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 am

Invite them in for a cup of tea, ask what they want, and give it to them free.h
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Next

Return to Debate Forum