Burglars breaking into your home - what would you do?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Burglars breaking into your home - what would you do?

Postby wm1995 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:14 am

Right now, I'd probably lock my door and barricade it, but if I ever own a house (I wish to own a small house somewhere in the countryside) I would make sure my house is near a stream (quite a small one), and make my house into an island in the middle, with a retractable bridge. Alternatively, I would just live in a remote place, and possibly put up an imposing fence.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby abi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:10 pm

if someone
- finds our house
- gets past the neibours without questions
- gets past the electric gates
- gets past the dog
- gets past the chicken run (lined with barbed wire)
i would go to the workshop, pick up powertools, and start using them (for perfectly innocent uses). the noise is enough to scare most off.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby bbsergeant » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 pm

acting on instinct i'd end up defending as i did many years martial arts training which now means in any confrontation my instinct is to defend myself, the people around me e.g. i've taken many blows stopping people being beaten up and property
bbsergeant
Advanced Member

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:23 pm

It depends entirely on the circumstances but I think it's important to stand up to the burglar but not use violence. If violence was used against me I would retaliate in a proportionate fashion. If I had children I would most certainly not get involved as their lives are more important than my stuff. I couldn't put them in danger. If violence was used against my children then I can't imagine what I'd do. (this is hypothetical of course).
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:19 pm

My blood would run cold :shock:
I would start to cry :cry:
I would call 999 (With my phone that is always by my bed incise of emergency's even though I'm only 12) :!:
hide until the police came to help :arrow:
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby AnandaThePanda » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Defend but not attack :) oh and panic
AnandaThePanda
Super Poster

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:00 pm

my best friend recentley had his house broken into.
TBH i'm sure what i would do. He said they stole a can of deodrant, a bottle of wine, a bottle of robinsons and a mobile phone. They also left a poo on his doorstep, which his mum tried to give in for forensics.
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby IngridLotus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:53 pm

I would find something to defend myself like a knife or a pair of scissors, ring 999 and hide. If they come anywhere near me they get stabbed.
IngridLotus

Postby Paddington » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:19 pm

I personaly would like to believe I would fight I mean I am fed up of cowering in fright of people I did enough of that in primary school, however things could turn violent, the best way to stop a burglary is to tell them to get out of the house in your best matronly voice, there is something in your brain that makes people do whatever a strong authoritative voice is telling them to do.

As for the guns thing discussed earlier I would not ever live in a country with guns. It is much harder to stab someone or hit someone than to shoot a gun in my opinion as you have to get closer to them and can see the actual person where as with guns you can shoot from far away, I heard a statistic ages ago and it said there was a higher rate of death from guns in Chicago than from the fighting during the afghan war.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby dyteen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 pm

hit the robber over the head with a baseball bat[color=#BF0040][/color]
dyteen

Previous

Return to Debate Forum