2012 + Doomsday 'predictions'

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

2012 + Doomsday 'predictions'

Postby k9ruby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 am

2012 + Doomsday 'predictions'.

What does everyone think? I'm very cynical myself, and I highly doubt the film Sony have based on the theory is helping either! :roll:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: 2012 + Doomsday 'predictions'

Postby Remus » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:05 am

I lost my post again, man this place needs an auto recovery thingy! :evil: I hate doomsday predictions because they just scare the hell out of me! Usually my common sense takes over but on things like this, it just doesn't.

I think what scares me the most is that so many cultures/religions have pin pointed that exact year. What bugs me thought is that the Mayan Calendar predicts December 21 as the day to end all days. I mean if we going to snuff it, at least be after christmas, I want open my prezzies! :P

http://2012forum.com/forum/index.php

*pokes link* Apparently though, thousands of people are really frightened of it and have quit their jobs, joined survival groups and are stockpiling. I might join them if Pet Store Management keeps giving me problems though! :lol:

If you ask me, the world is going to end one day whether it is 2012 or 5034. Either way, that day is getting closer. Personally though if it does happen, I want something epic like a big tornado or something. At least go out in style!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:03 am

I don't know what to think really. I used to be very cynical but I recently watched an American documentary on Youtube that explained just how many cultures had predicted December 21st, 2012, as the end of the world and it did really make me stop and think. Some of the claims in the documentary were too wild to be believed but others sounded plausible and the cultures or psychics that had predicted them had been right about everything else they had predicted in the past. That documentary really opened my mind. If anyone's interested, it's called December 21 2012-End Of The World?" It's in 6 parts and makes very interesting viewing.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm quite cynical. There have already been lots of dates set where the World was expected to end and nothing happened. Even if the World does end on December 21st 2012, I don't want to worry too much as there is not much anyone can do about it!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cynamon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 am

It really scares me.
Cynamon

Postby bpcooper » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Cynamon wrote:It really scares me.

Cynamon... it is very unlikely anything will happen and I can't believe that everyone if freaking out over it just because the myan calendar ends.
The world could end any day without warning so worrying about something that is beyond your control is just going to get you worked up when all it is is rumours.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby druchi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 pm

If you think the world is goign to end by 2012 at least make the most of the last few weeks.

If as all logic and reason would like to point out, then you can excuse yourself farting in your bosses general direction.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I don't believe it either. There is a possibility that I could die in a traffic accident or a fire or a severe case of swine flue long before 2012 gets here, so if I wanted to worry about impending death, I would choose a more plausible method than a predicted apocalypse.

It makes me think of this poem by Michael Donaghy:

Shooting their horses and setting their houses alight,
The faithful struck out for a hillside in Sussex
To wait for the prophesied rapture to take them
At midnight, New Year’s Eve, 1899.

But they knelt in the slow, drifting snow singing hymns,
Hushing their children and watching the stars,
Until the sky brightened and the cold sun rose white
Over the plain where their houses still smouldered.

Some froze there all day, some straggled back sobbing
To salvage what little remained of their lives.
Others went mad and refused, ’til the end of their days,
To believe that the world was still there.

Here, ten seconds to midnight, they join in the count
Over tin horns squealing in the bright drunk rooms.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:34 pm

I will be so drunk / tired / hungover to even to care what happen's on that day. But I will be very happy in the early hours of that day and having a really good time.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby JamesStanley » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm

I doubt that the world will end in 2012 and even if it does the chances that it will be on that specific day 21st december is astronomically small.
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby stamfordmax » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 pm

It's a load of nonsense IMO What will happen is that the earth will shft into the age of Aquarious, for the last 2,000 years we have been in the age of pisces. That will happen on 21/12/2012 not the world ending
stamfordmax

Postby Remus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:44 pm

This made me giggle last night. :P
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:12 pm

The world could end on this day or not. Anyday the world could end and one day it will happen.

I was more worried the world would end in July 1999 and Septmeber 9th 1999. Also I was slighty worried what would happened on the 1st January 2000 when the clock struck midnight.
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby Macha » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:00 pm

On 1/1/2000, the calendar used by many computers rolled over, and people predicted the world would end. The calendar was used because programmers lacked the foresight to realise that the system would still be in use in 2000.

On 21/12/2012, the calendar used by the mayans will roll over, and people are predicting the world would end. The calendar was used because the 21/12/2012 was long after the conceivable lifespan of any mayan. Of course, being a superstitious lot, they attributed a load of prophecies to that date.

Likewise, there has been doomsday predictions for the year 1000, 1033 (1000 years after the death of Jesus), the entirety of the Cold War, and none of them have happened.

I'm not worried.
Macha
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:31 pm

If the world ends tommorow all that will concern me is that I didn't get to eat the pigeon in the freezer, that I haven't finished my brother's gloves, and I didn't take enough advanced options. It's not that I don't enjoy life and want it to end, I just don't see myself being particularly prepared for the end of the world if I did get any notice, I'd just panic, much better if it sneaks up on me.

As for the date for the end of the world. I have to see fairly concrete scientific evedence before seriously listening too doomsday predictions
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum