2012 + Doomsday 'predictions'

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: 2012 + Doomsday 'predictions'

Postby Piers1 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:46 pm

THE SACRED MAYAN CALENDAR
Many have a deeply felt intuitive sense that the Mayan calendar reflects a higher truth than the now dominating Gregorian calendar or any other calendar that is currently used in the world.

The Maya used several different calendars, calendars that were used for different purposes and different contexts. It is… more accurate to talk about the calendrical system of the Maya [than a single calendar], a system where many choices are available when characterizing a certain day.

Determining which [Mayan] calendars to study depends on the purpose for which they are to be used. Some of the calendars used by the Maya may in fact have no advantages compared to the calendars that are most commonly used today. Others, including some that for a long time have not been used by the Maya themselves, may become indispensable tools for the future and serve to bring about a total shift in the way we look at the world.

On a global scale these may contribute to a shift from the currently reigning materialist world view to a realization that the reality we live in is fundamentally spiritual in nature. On an individual level the use of a new calendar may make a person aware of her true purpose in life through the wider perspective of the world that this fosters.

If we have been blinded to these matters it is partly because calendars condition our way of thinking in a most insidious way. A calendar does not seem to be a philosophical statement… something that actively maintains a certain world view, and yet this is exactly what it does. It is to a large extent because of calendars that we are deluded into materialist illusions… The calendars that almost everyone uses today are founded on a view of time as primarily a physical phenomenon… we all seem to agree on how to measure a period of time, which is by counting the number of identical cyclical movements that it corresponds to.

[Yet] despite the fact that today … few people … in the industrialized world need a calendar to tell them when to sow or harvest, we are still stuck with calendars based on the physical year. In recent centuries, the original purpose and holy character of Anno Domini (in the Year of the Lord) in the Gregorian calendar has also largely been lost. Rather, this calendar has turned into a convention by means of which the wheels of industry may run smoothly by allowing people across the globe to coordinate their economic activities.

Maybe then something has been lost in the process of our accommodation to the physical calendars. The number of different calendars used by the ancient Maya, however, attests to a richness that is not limited to the physical, and it is in this that we may find a calendar for the future.

We should notice that there exists a very direct link between today’s materialist philosophy and the linear/cyclical concept of time that underpins our own present calendar. … our concept of time cannot accommodate the phenomena of evolution or creation. Inherent in our linear view of time is the notion that time is just an endless repetition of cycles with no beginning and no end. With such a linear view of time humanity does not seem to be going anywhere special, and life then does not seem to have any purpose, with all the consequences such an attitude has had for the environment of our planet.

I believe it is by the study and use of the tun-based calendrical system [of the Maya] that we may develop an awareness of consciousness, a meta-consciousness, which will allow us to understand the factors underlying the evolution of consciousness. … It is in order to find the path to the spiritual processes of evolution of the universe that we need to replace the materialist linear/cyclical view of time with the Mayan tun-based periods of creation.

(Composite excerpt from Solving the Greatest Mystery of Our Time: The Mayan Calendar, by Carl Johan Calleman, pp. 21-23.)
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Piers1
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Sarah Palin is meant to be running for president 2012.... Were buggered.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 am

druchi wrote:Sarah Palin is meant to be running for president 2012.... Were buggered.

Oh fiddle, I forgot about that. I guess there really is something in the doomsday idea then!
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 am

Oh my, if she gets in, we are all doomed! :lol:
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Sun May 23, 2010 4:19 pm

I watched 2012 last night for the first time and whilst it was an awesome film, really good special effects, it was dead depressing. All the deaths and everything, you felt like chucking yourself off a cliff after it. I'm so glad it has a bit of a happy ending though.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby wm1995 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Piers1 wrote:THE SACRED MAYAN CALENDAR

I once had to write a program to convert the Mayan date into a Gregorian Date. Here's an extract from the question (British Informatics Olympiad 2004 Round 1 Question 1):

The Mayan civilisation used three different calendars. In their long count calendar there were 20 days (called kins) in a uinal, 18 uinals in a tun, 20 tuns in a katun and 20 katuns in a baktun. In our calendar, we specify a date by giving the day, then month, and finally the year. The Maya specified dates in reverse, giving the baktun (1-20), then katun (1-20), then tun (1-20), then uinal (1-18) and finally the kin (1-20).

The Mayan date 13 20 7 16 3 corresponds to the date 1 January 2000 (which was a Saturday).
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby 07williamsdj » Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Here is something to think about, what if it isn't the end of the world, like exploding, death and whatever, but like the end of the world as we know it. A big change, maybe even for the better...
07williamsdj

Postby AnandaThePanda » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Macha wrote:On 1/1/2000, the calendar used by many computers rolled over, and people predicted the world would end. The calendar was used because programmers lacked the foresight to realise that the system would still be in use in 2000.

On 21/12/2012, the calendar used by the mayans will roll over, and people are predicting the world would end. The calendar was used because the 21/12/2012 was long after the conceivable lifespan of any mayan. Of course, being a superstitious lot, they attributed a load of prophecies to that date.

Likewise, there has been doomsday predictions for the year 1000, 1033 (1000 years after the death of Jesus), the entirety of the Cold War, and none of them have happened.

I'm not worried.

Yeah I've heard of nearly all of those failed predictions. In 1999, a load of Americans took out a about a million pounds each so that they could die in luxury in the year 2000 and they'd never have to pay it back...
AnandaThePanda
Super Poster

Postby Purple_Alpaca » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:07 am

Whilst I don‘t really believe the world wil end, the idea scares me a lot. I don‘t wanna die!
Smile, dance, laugh, live and don't take anything for granted. Being here is a gift.

“My advice to you is please don't ever sit in your room and lock yourself away because you don't think you're good enough.”

Hello(:I'm Holly.
Purple_Alpaca
Forum Master

Postby adamdonaldadam » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 pm

I dont believe in it either, i hope the world does not end this year as i still have much to experience in life. Such as losing my virginity!!! :)
adamdonaldadam
Power Poster

Postby Rodge1991 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:10 pm

I think that with the whole money crisis and wars the fabric of civilisation will be torn apart-riots will start, as we have already seen-eventually we will be split up into 'factions' surviving on what is left, eventually running out of supplies and die off
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby talbotthefox » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 am

While I doin't believe in any of the 'Doomsfay' crap and think its pretty racist, I do think that 2012 is the year where everything is going to change for the worse, like the NHS being scrapped, the destruction of the public services :/
talbotthefox

Postby Remus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Only a few days to go.... :wink:

I'm 90% sure nothing is going to happen but I'm not going to rule it out either completely. I have to admit I am going to be nervous throughout that day! :oops:
Remus
Site Admin

Postby galexy96 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah me too! My college is finished then too so I will just be at home on my own, although someone said it is meant to happen at 11 o clock so I will probably be asleep then to be honest :lol:
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 am

If the world ends, I want me, my best friends and my crush to be the last survivors XD
But seriously, all I can say is, I've been watching a lot of Resident Evil lately, and I just want there to be a zombie apocalypse, because I would really enjoy that :D
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum