Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby nathanw-j » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:37 pm

who?
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:49 pm
Location: Seaton, Devon, England, UK

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby monkey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 am

that was not what I was meanign.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 am

monkey wrote:that was not what I was meanign.



Sorry, I misunderstood, obviously.

What did you mean? :)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby monkey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 pm

I am nto going to belive somthign. even if most peopel do. Just becuase they do. It does nto make sence to me. natural selection I can see workign. evolution I can not see working.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 pm

monkey wrote:I am nto going to belive somthign. even if most peopel do. Just becuase they do. It does nto make sence to me. natural selection I can see workign. evolution I can not see working.



Fair enough, then I shan't press you any further on it.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby monkey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:10 am

do you belive in evolution?
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby Elessar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 am

monkey wrote:do you belive in evolution?



At the moment (my mind is open on all things and as new theories and evidence emerges all my opinions are subject to change), I consider evolution to be a proven fact. Organisms change over massively long periods of time. This is either through one-off mutations caused by background radiation, or the organism changing itself through a change of environment (such as humans dropping pigmentation in their skin, after a mass move northward into Europe).
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby monkey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:38 pm

I think that skin color change is mroe about natral selction.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:00 am

monkey wrote:I think that skin color change is mroe about natral selction.



Fair enough. In that case, I believe that the royal family are in fact semi-extraterrestrial hybrids from an ancient race called the Annunaki who drink blood, ritually sacrifice and play a part in a worldwide conspiracy of thought control.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby monkey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 am

I do not understadn what you are sayign.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby Elessar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 pm

monkey wrote:I do not understadn what you are sayign.



Kind of the point. I was being.... silly. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby monkey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:33 pm

that is funny :) :) :)
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Elessar wrote:
monkey wrote:do you belive in evolution?



At the moment (my mind is open on all things and as new theories and evidence emerges all my opinions are subject to change), I consider evolution to be a proven fact.


I'm going to disagree with you there. I see evolution as an interpretation of the evidence, not a proven fact. But then, I've stopped believing in actual facts, and think there are things I think are facts, but aren't actually, and things other people believe as facts, but aren't actually - what if this world does not exist at all, and is all in my head. then everything I see as a fact, (for example, Ginger being my Hair colour) could be completely wrong. I don't believe the world is all in my head, but the possibility is out there.

russells_teapot wrote:I think we can all agree that the theory of creationism is, to put it bluntly, wrong. Though feel free to argue with me.


Never assume people will agree with you on something like that.

Personally, I don't believe evolution could possibly happen if there were not a God. I don't think any sort of life/consciousness could have happened without God. To me, us being here today, discussing this, proves there is a God.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
User avatar
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:
Elessar wrote:
monkey wrote:do you belive in evolution?



At the moment (my mind is open on all things and as new theories and evidence emerges all my opinions are subject to change), I consider evolution to be a proven fact.


I'm going to disagree with you there. I see evolution as an interpretation of the evidence, not a proven fact. But then, I've stopped believing in actual facts, and think there are things I think are facts, but aren't actually, and things other people believe as facts, but aren't actually - what if this world does not exist at all, and is all in my head. then everything I see as a fact, (for example, Ginger being my Hair colour) could be completely wrong. I don't believe the world is all in my head, but the possibility is out there.



Okay, perhaps if we're going to bandy semantics, you could put it like that. How about if I rephrase it as, "I consider it to be the most likely, near certain probably, taking into account all proven facts, circumstantial evidence and the possibilities suggested by pseudo-science"? Long-winded perhaps, but less likely to be ambiguous.

The world being in your head is actually what I believe. My observations of the universe around me has led me to believe that we all have both an individual and a collective conscious. All taken together effectively write a software programme that becomes reality. People struggled for decades to break the four minute mile, then once Roger Bannister did it three or four others did it within the next twelve months. The belief and knowledge that it was possible created the reality. The power of positive thinking, eh?

Reminds me of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows actually.

Originally said by Professor Dumbledore

Of course this is happening in your head Harry. But why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Richard Dawkins is underrated as a scientist

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Elessar wrote:Reminds me of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows actually.

Originally said by Professor Dumbledore

Of course this is happening in your head Harry. But why on earth should that mean that it is not real?


I LOVE that quote.
It's one of the two Quotes I have as my Facebook cover Photo.
along with

[i]Also originally said by Professor Dumbledore

To the well-organised mind, Death is but the next great adventure
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
User avatar
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Hampshire, England

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest