Tuition Fees

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Remus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:33 pm

bpcooper wrote:Also I'm a bit confused by what you guys are saying about that you "won't be able to afford it".
The tuition fee's are given to you as a loan which you only need to pay back after you are earning 22k (and it gets taken out of your account so you wouldn't even realise it)


It may be a loan but at the end of the day, it is still a massive amount of debt to be under. For me, if it means not getting a degree, then fine because I would not place myself under all that debt and stress, it's not healthy. Plus I may have other things I need to pay for such as bills, food, family etc.

I hate this government! :evil: It's like all they care about is the rich.
Image
User avatar
Remus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5395
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:16 pm
Location: Luxvia, Austria, The Machine, lol! :D

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby bpcooper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Remus wrote:
bpcooper wrote:Also I'm a bit confused by what you guys are saying about that you "won't be able to afford it".
The tuition fee's are given to you as a loan which you only need to pay back after you are earning 22k (and it gets taken out of your account so you wouldn't even realise it)


It may be a loan but at the end of the day, it is still a massive amount of debt to be under. For me, if it means not getting a degree, then fine because I would not place myself under all that debt and stress, it's not healthy. Plus I may have other things I need to pay for such as bills, food, family etc.

I hate this government! :evil: It's like all they care about is the rich.


As such tuition fee's should be scraped but the increase affects nothing really as you'll still be paying back the same amount until you have paid it off if not less.

The old rate was 5% of the money which was over 15k so if you earned 20k it'd be 5% of 5k

so let's work this out:
30k job - 5% of 15k in old way, 9% of 8k in new way
£750 for old way, £720 new

100k job - 5% of 85k, 9% of 78k in new way
£4250 old way, £7020 new

Which just show's that if anything the ones that get really high jobs will pay it off alot quicker as well as those who are rich.
bpcooper
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:15 pm

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby wm1995 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 pm

bpcooper wrote:Which just show's that if anything the ones that get really high jobs will pay it off alot quicker as well as those who are rich.


What if you want to go on to an interesting job with just enough pay to get by? also, it is an awful lot of debt to have to start out with. If you think it through, assuming that you are able to support yourself during university so that only the fees are left over, you start out with (assuming 6k per year) 18k of debt. This is more than if you had paid just 3k per year, even if you had done a four year course instead of a three year course. I understand that the government have to make cuts, but couldn't they cut some of the less necessary degrees instead?

It's a bit pointless arguing over it anyway; they'd probably already made up their minds months before, and I doubt they'll change now.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Alice » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Remus wrote:I hate this government! :evil: It's like all they care about is the rich.


That's a little unfair. My family probably count as rich by most peoples standards, I don't think it's fair that they threatened to increace my Dad's taxes despite the fact that with the percentage of the polpulation that had to pay it it would make no difference to the budget (and anyone who's loaded can usually weasle out of it anyway), I know that was the last government, but it was just mean spireted.

I think the issue here is we're not talking about people who've worked hard for their money like my parents, we're talking about people like me who happen to have been born into well off families. I didn't do anything to deserve a better education than my peers, but if I had been a little younger I would be able to get a better one than some people who are smarter but poorer.

People who are from less well off backgrounds tend to be more frightened by debt, apparently, so even as a lone such a huge price is going to cut off many people's chances.
User avatar
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby wm1995 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Alice wrote:My family probably count as rich by most peoples standards

Alice wrote:People who are from less well off backgrounds tend to be more frightened by debt, apparently, so even as a lone such a huge price is going to cut off many people's chances.


I'm not sure where my family falls on a wealth spectrum, since I think we give the illusion of having more money than we actually have, which I have never quite understood. Still, the thing that frightens me most about this is being lumped with more debt than I can pay off, just because I want to learn about something. My hope of getting a car at 17 is looking less likely by the day. (I want a specific sort of car, which I would need up to six thousand pounds for; I've saved nearly three thousand, I think)
wm1995
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:19 am

bpcooper wrote:Think about this though guys, as the government is making huge cuts to the education system as a whole the uni's need to get the money from somewhere and the only way which they can is by tuition fee rises.


did you know that scottish students still get to go to unis (or at least the one's in scotland) for free? if they can, why can't we? and the government had the money to bail out the banks and have money to bail out Irish banks.

bpcooper wrote:Also I'm a bit confused by what you guys are saying about that you "won't be able to afford it".
The tuition fee's are given to you as a loan which you only need to pay back after you are earning 22k (and it gets taken out of your account so you wouldn't even realise it)


but you've also got to consider that they don't take into accout morgages, bills and the expenses of having a family. If you only just earn the 22k, have to have a car or pay for train tickets to get to work, have to pay the morgage, have to feed your family, have to pay electricity bills, gas bills etc and then on top of that pay back, it really doesn't leave you that well off. before the rises, we were already worse off than previous generations, as they got to go for free - my mums atudent loan was to pay for childcare.
And students may also stuggle to get loans and stuff in the future because of it.

Also, students will be in debt for longer because they have more to pay, start paying it later, and will be paying less per month, so while short term they may be slightly better off, in the run, they'll be worse off.

some people won't go to uni because the prospect of all that debt will put them off.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
User avatar
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Dizzy D » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 am

Personally I think it'd DISGRACEFUL If they want to makes cuts or make more money Cut the foot ballers pay! not education! I'm probably not going to be able to go to university now and if I do I'll be thousands of pounds over det because I'll cut to the chase. I don't have much money and my older sister wants to go to university to. It's ridiculous! :evil:
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Sunderlad

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:37 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:
did you know that scottish students still get to go to unis (or at least the one's in scotland) for free? if they can, why can't we? and the government had the money to bail out the banks and have money to bail out Irish banks.


Hang on a second. You elected the Conservatives who are right wing arseholes into government. Complain if you want to but you elected one of the biggest pacts of muppets in the world to be your government.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Brian wrote:
chocolatefudgecake wrote:
did you know that scottish students still get to go to unis (or at least the one's in scotland) for free? if they can, why can't we? and the government had the money to bail out the banks and have money to bail out Irish banks.


Hang on a second. You elected the Conservatives who are right wing arseholes into government. Complain if you want to but you elected one of the biggest pacts of muppets in the world to be your government.


Sorry, But I DIDN'T Vote Conservative. My vote didn't do anything because whilst I DIDN'T vote conservative (but I did vote), the conservative candidate in my area got in. Therefore I DID NOT vote this government in, therefore I have EVERY RIGHT to complaint.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
User avatar
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:43 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:
Brian wrote:
chocolatefudgecake wrote:
did you know that scottish students still get to go to unis (or at least the one's in scotland) for free? if they can, why can't we? and the government had the money to bail out the banks and have money to bail out Irish banks.


Hang on a second. You elected the Conservatives who are right wing arseholes into government. Complain if you want to but you elected one of the biggest pacts of muppets in the world to be your government.


Sorry, But I DIDN'T Vote Conservative. My vote didn't do anything because whilst I DIDN'T vote conservative (but I did vote), the conservative candidate in my area got in. Therefore I DID NOT vote this government in, therefore I have EVERY RIGHT to complaint.


That was aimed not at you but at the British people who were eligible to vote.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Dizzy D » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 pm

one of the biggest pacts of muppets in the world to be your government.
To the T
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Sunderlad

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby 07williamsdj » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Im now very confused. As you know im welsh and I watch BBC wales. on there they said that this university somewhere near cardiff will not increase their fees if more people came to the university, and when I mean more, I mean more than just people living wales. BUT if more people came to that university surly the university would have to buy more resources to be able to teach them, therefore have alot more money coming out of the university. :? so they'll have to raise it more!
07williamsdj
 

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Elessar » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:26 pm

My view on tuition fees is that they should not happen, although the latest incarnation of repaying them has somewhat soothed my outrage at them.

The problem is that they have been made inevitable by the changing views on university. University always was a place where the elite minds trained at elite subjects. I'm not defending class restrictions here: I always was someone who loved the ideas of scholarships and the sons and daughters of bin men and dockworkers being able to train to be doctors and engineers if they were brainy enough.

But now with every numpty and his uncle wanting a paper degree in everything from media studies, convinced they're going to get to be a film director - to David Beckham's hairstyles down the ages, its no wonder the state can't support university free for all comers any more.

I don't think university should ever have been anything but academically elite, but its irreversibly become something that's increasingly mediocre and thought of as part of standard education.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby Maximus » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:04 pm

I think it is important to remember that University is not what it was for most of our parents or at least previous generations.

Years ago, very few people went on to Higher Education and the only ones that did, did so to persue generally academic careers and undertook worthwhile degree courses such as History, English, Mathematics or one of the sciences. Those who didn't take this path went to work or gained an apprenticeship.

The problem today is that in 2001 the Labour Government decided that 50% of young people should go to university the sum result of which means that many graduate with worthless or irrelevent qualifications (like Media Studies for example) which no employer will look twice at.

If higher tutition fees encourage less academic students to undertake a more vocational course and gain something that will actually lead somewhere then that can only be good.
Maximus
Super Poster
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:36 am
Location: London

Previous

Return to Debate Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron