Tuition Fees

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Tuition Fees

Postby Remus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:04 am

As you have probably seen in the press recently, with the current economic climate and everything, the government has given the Universities the go ahead to rise tuition fees up even more in 2012 with the possibility of them charging up to £9000 a year. I was just wondering what you guys thinking about it, students or not?

Personally I think it is outrageous they want us to pay even more. There goes my top-up to degree out the window! :lol: My mind boggles at the fees now let alone the ones they want to implement. I just don't get how poorer students are going to afford to go to Uni. Me and my fellow classmates were discussing it and we agreed, the only people who are going to be able to afford it and get the really high jobs are going to be rich people. Charlie is considering go over to Norway to do further studying where the fees would be a lot cheaper

I totally agreed with the protests the other day about it, I don't mind people expressing their views in a peaceful, creative manner. However, I think those riots the other day were just out of order. The behaviour from those individuals was just disgusting and it is doesn't little for the cause and paints us students in a poor light. I was especially shocked at the idiot who threw the fire extinguisher off the roof, he could have easily killed someone.
Remus
Site Admin

Re: Tuition Fees

Postby JamesStanley » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 am

I agree Remus i dont think i will be able to afford university now
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby 07williamsdj » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:09 pm

They shouldn't be aloud to raise it that much, Its INSANE
07williamsdj

Postby wm1995 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:43 pm

It is both worrying and terrible (the fees rise). I don't understand why everyone is so mad at the Lib Dems, because it isn't like they are in a position to do much. Many are saying they have reneged on their promises, but those promises were based on the fact that they could make it into government with a majority and not a coalition. My personal views are that they should scrap the fees entirely, because education is a very important part of society.

The riots were an example of appalling behaviour and I am glad that they are prosecuting the person responsible for the fire extinguisher. I agree completely with you, Remus: the idea of the protest was good, the actual carrying out wasn't.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:39 pm

I think the fee rise is awful. It just cuts such a huge section of society out from the possibility of higher education and that is in no way fair.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby galexy96 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Yes I agree, I would love to go to Uni but I don't know if I can now. Its unfair that only richer people can go and not anyone. It should be about intelligence, not the amount of money you have. Its also a shame that I will miss out on getting EMA.
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:51 pm

I think they should scrap fees instead of raising them. I considered going to that protest (my uni took a couple of coaches up) but didn't coz I had an assignment to do.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby JamesStanley » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Ive seen that they have now agreed to increase the fees despite a number of votes against the increase from the liberal democrats and heavy protests all over the country. and they say its going to be better for students to pay almost £30K to go to uni.

I Hate the Coalition Government :evil:

I didnt approve of the students violence to agree with however i have started to understand why quite a few people have turned violent as only a few members of the govermnent seemed to listen to the students anyway
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:07 pm

I think with the violence, it started off as a smallish group of people constantly throwing things at the police, the police reacted and charged causing more people to become violent.

JamesStanley wrote:and they say its going to be better for students to pay almost £30K to go to uni.

Apparently now the plan is that if your family is 'poor' you get the 1st 2 years free. which is o.k for those who fall into the bracket that they decide - they'll end up with the debt they would have had if it hadn't been passed.
however for those who aren't poor enough to get that, but aren't rich enough to pay upfront, they'll be much worse off.
of course, the rich'll be fine, suprise, suprise.

they also recon we'll be better off because we'll be paying less back per month. what they fail to realise is that it'll make it harder to get a house etc when we're older.

I cant believe a difference of 21 people is enough to get it through.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wm1995 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:00 am

chocolatefudgecake wrote: it'll make it harder to get a house etc when we're older.

I've heard that house prices are much higher adjusted for inflation than they were ten or twenty years ago, and it's not going to be easy to get a loan for a while.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:30 pm

[quote="chocolatefudgecake"they also recon we'll be better off because we'll be paying less back per month.[/quote]

More money, and smaller instalments...
Doesn't that mean people are going to be in debt for a huge chunk of their lives?
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wm1995 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Alice wrote:Doesn't that mean people are going to be in debt for a huge chunk of their lives?

The way I understood it, and I could have easily not understood, is that they give you this debt to pay off over thirty years, and then I think they write the rest off. The payments are fixed to your salary.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby JamesStanley » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:42 am

Yeah i think they write it off after about 30 years

I saw they are now protesting to try and stop EMA being cut
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby bpcooper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Think about this though guys, as the government is making huge cuts to the education system as a whole the uni's need to get the money from somewhere and the only way which they can is by tuition fee rises.

Also I'm a bit confused by what you guys are saying about that you "won't be able to afford it".
The tuition fee's are given to you as a loan which you only need to pay back after you are earning 22k (and it gets taken out of your account so you wouldn't even realise it)
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby bpcooper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Also remember that the 9k amount will only be for Uni's like Cambridge and Oxford
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Debate Forum