Disney to introduce gay characters

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you think Disney should introduce gay characters in their films?

Yes
79%
No
11%
Not sure
11%

Total votes : 19

Disney to introduce gay characters

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:31 pm

First time posting a poll :?

Anyway, I read this article earlier and found it very interesting and thought-provoking.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/03/04/li ... ney-films/

This idea has been in my mind for a while now. My friend on Deviant Art posted a rant on the subject a few months ago, in which she said that ‘it can be handled tastefully and delicately’ and that it should be the concept of gay relationships ‘should be marketed for all ages’. And she is a mother of an 8/9/10 year old girl, who understands that ‘it doesn’t have to be a man and a woman getting married’. Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea to introduce the concept of homosexuality to children. Times are moving forward now, and society is becoming more and more accepting. It would also help children, especially those with gay people in their lives (friends, relatives, parents etc etc) understand that it’s OK to be gay and that it shouldn’t be frowned upon. I don’t know if this would happen, but it might also open their eyes to their own sexuality as they get older. I would definitely let my children learn about homosexuality and gay marriage at a younger age than I did. I really hope they’ll create at least one openly gay character one day.

But there are the cons. As everyone knows, Disney is known as a good wholesome company with traditional values, and this might be too much for them. They – and society – might not be ready for it yet. There are still parents out there, who think that it’s not right for children to know about these things at such a young age, who would be up in arms to stop this from happening. These people raise a good point; however, children are sometimes much smarter than adults think. Also, it might not be what Walt wanted. We don’t know – maybe he was homophobic, considering the time period he was raised in. In addition to this, the animator in this article is gay. He might just be saying what he, and the gay audience (among others :P) wants to hear. And this creates the debate. Should Disney go ahead with it? Do you agree with it? Do you not agree?
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Disney to introduce gay characters

Postby JamesStanley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:59 am

Yes otherwise kids could grow up thinking being gay is wrong
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:51 pm

I agree with as long as it is done with some sensitivity and it's not just right up in people's face.

Although, I always thought something up with Bugs Bunny, the amount of times he wears a dress! :P
Remus
Site Admin

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:34 pm

And all the times Elmer Fudd was attracted to him :lol: (Not that I watch Looney Tunes, that is!)
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby 07williamsdj » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:12 pm

I think its a good idea, as long as it is done in the right manner
07williamsdj

Postby Alice » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 pm

I have no objection to the concept. I do however, doubt that it will/would be done well. We'll either have limp wristed, lisping gay men and misandrous, extremely butch lesbians, or the whole thing will be so self conciously PC that you're forever reminded of some steriotyping or other that they've cut out. I honestly think the best we could expect is that they crudely tack on the trait of homosexuality to a character as an afterthought (so long as the select a comparatively normal one), just because then the point won't get over laboured.

That's not to say I don't think they should have gay characters, it's just the pesemist in me predicts watching and then wishing they hadn't. I hope to be proven wrong.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby babooshka2002 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:03 am

Alice wrote:I have no objection to the concept. I do however, doubt that it will/would be done well. We'll either have limp wristed, lisping gay men and misandrous, extremely butch lesbians, or the whole thing will be so self conciously PC that you're forever reminded of some steriotyping or other that they've cut out. I honestly think the best we could expect is that they crudely tack on the trait of homosexuality to a character as an afterthought (so long as the select a comparatively normal one), just because then the point won't get over laboured.

That's not to say I don't think they should have gay characters, it's just the pesemist in me predicts watching and then wishing they hadn't. I hope to be proven wrong.

Yeah, this.

Except that I wouldn't mind if they tacked homosexuality onto a character as an afterthought. Like... this character does this and that and has friends help him out in his tasks, and he just happens to also be gay, but unless it's relevant to the story it doesn't get mentioned a huge amount, only to the degree it would be with a heterosexual character. This might be better than... a lesbian princess rescuing another lesbian princess, for eg.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby talbotthefox » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm

This sounds intresting :) Bear in mind that alot of Disney films already have a big gay following and subtext, like The Little Mermaid for example, what isn't commonly known about that film is that Ursulla is based on a drag queen from the 70's called Divine. This has more info on it http://carlygoogles.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... deled.html
talbotthefox

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Apparently, this is to become a reality. In the past few days, there has been news of The Disney Channel introducing a gay couple, two mothers I believe, to one of their shows: "Good Luck, Charlie." I personally don't like what The Disney Channel is doing these days, I stopped watching it at 16. Their shows are awful now, even though I know that they are in process of making a brand new series of "classic" Mickey Mouse cartoons*. Despite that, though, I think it is wonderful that they're finally doing this.

:D

*The true Disney as it were.

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Paddington » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 pm

I think it would be a wonderful idea I think it would stop a lot of people from becoming prejudiced against gay/ lesbian couples if we can teach young children its ok then there might be les prejudice amongst people
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Maximus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:32 pm

I see no point whatsoever in Disney having gay characters, unless it is a new story in which a character happens to be gay in which so be it but Disney shouldn't do it for the sake of it.
Maximus
Advanced Member

Postby BethanyGillam » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Bad idea I am all for teaching acceptance of all sexualities but no need to so it on TV. That is just propaganda this isn't America in the 60s or Germany in.the 30s. Personally, still recovering front he Vietnam propaganda Disney used.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby lalacurf121 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:15 am

Times are moving forward now, and society is becoming more and more accepting. gclub online
lalacurf121
Super Poster

Postby Creative » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:40 pm

I think it's a great idea. If children grow up with gay characters it wont be seen as something different that we shouldn't talk about.
Creative
Forum God !

Return to Debate Forum