Religion????

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Religion????

Postby jjk3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 pm

What are your views on religion??? Personally I'm catholic and proud of the fact but I think each to their own on religion, whatever makes you happy :) :)
jjk3
Power Poster

Re: Religion????

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm salvation Army. But I won't have a go at anyone for their religion, or attack their religious beliefs/tell them they're wrong, except under certain circumstances. for example, if someone decided their belief involved murdering other people. Then I would say that's wrong. I wouldn't go up to a Hindu and tell them their faith is wrong, even though I believe it is, just like they believe mine is wrong. if that makes sense?

However I will talk about my faith to other people, and tell them what I believe, if they're interested. I will not force it down anyone's throat.

I do think it's silly when some people (Which I believe is the minority of extreme Christians. Key word: Minority)tell Atheists they're going to Hell for not believing. If someone doesn't believe in God/Hell, why would saying that make them believe? all it does is alienate them from the religion.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby safcjcp » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

im not religeous because no religion has solid proof and it can create a lot of trouble. but i always like to listen to why people have a religion as i want to know everything possible. i've yet to here anything with evidence to back it up. i am a agnostic as i haven't had anything to prove against a god but there has to be something what created the big bang. i have a christian friend and i talk to her about religion i also have a friend who is a jehovah's witness and i talk to him about it.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
safcjcp
Forum Master

Postby talbotthefox » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:38 pm

I don't believe, but think Atheism is too solid, and alot of the New-Atheism school are very bullyish and offensive.
talbotthefox

Postby adamdonaldadam » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:22 pm

The existence of God cannot be proved or disaproved, because there is no evidence that can support either notion.

But, it is clear that some peoples perception of god can be bad. If your catholic then you are supporting all the beliefs that catholicism holds, unfortunately including Homophobia, No to abortion, Not sympathetic towards those getting divorced, sex ONLY after marriage, sexism (will not appoint women as priests) and im unsure whether they now believe contraception is right or not (of course its right).

I can not comment on other religions as I do not know enough about their beliefs.

Whatever religion/belief you choose to follow reflects who you are and what you believe in.

Personally im 50% believe in God and 50% do not (as said in the top). I believe Catholicism and any other religions that hold such old-fashioned, ill-moral and confused beliefs must reform and change those views, why? Because I believe in morals, open-mindedness and understanding things to the fullest extent.

If you believe in God, that's great, but you don't have to believe in God from a catholic (or other religious) perspective if it goes against what you belive in. You don't have to follow any mainstream religion at all, you can just add you perception and your beliefs to the belief of God, and make your own religion!!!

From an ex-catholic.
adamdonaldadam
Power Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 pm

so would you call yourself agnostic? or would you say none of them match your beliefs? I once met someone who has views that sound similar to what you believe (I think. the way he said it was sounded complicated), who called it something else, not theist, nor agnostic.

I'm just curios. I like to learn about other peoples beliefs.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby liam666 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 pm

i personnel have no religious views but do understand y people have them to me its a way for people to justify there existence and give it meaning
Do we serve a purpose or purposely serve
liam666
Advanced Member

Postby wadey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Personally myself I have no religion. Obviously I do respect people who have their religions, in the end of the day we are different and we all have our own opinions about religion. There will be no way to find out on how we got on earth,some of us may be right or we all could be wrong. I do find it intresting on people views religion and views on how we got on earth ~ havent yet met someone who got the same view as me on how we got on earth!
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 am

What is your view on that then, Wadey? I am intrigued now :D

I was brought up in an Anglican background and attended church and Sunday school regularly until the age of ten. Now I would describe myself as confused-I guess I would be classified as an agnostic but I do actually believe there is a God-I just don't agree with organised religion of any form as I think it's divisive and causes a lot more issues than it solves. I do find it fascinating learning about different religions and their ways of life though-I loved RE at school and gained an A grade in it at GCSE.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby adamdonaldadam » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:so would you call yourself agnostic? or would you say none of them match your beliefs? I once met someone who has views that sound similar to what you believe (I think. the way he said it was sounded complicated), who called it something else, not theist, nor agnostic.

I'm just curios. I like to learn about other peoples beliefs.

thanks chocolatefudgecake, yes ive now realised that i am 'agnostic athiest'. and im proud of being it based on what research ive done on it so far. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism
adamdonaldadam
Power Poster

Postby wadey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Steph wrote:What is your view on that then, Wadey? I am intrigued now :D

I was brought up in an Anglican background and attended church and Sunday school regularly until the age of ten. Now I would describe myself as confused-I guess I would be classified as an agnostic but I do actually believe there is a God-I just don't agree with organised religion of any form as I think it's divisive and causes a lot more issues than it solves. I do find it fascinating learning about different religions and their ways of life though-I loved RE at school and gained an A grade in it at GCSE.

1000000 years ago, aliens (humans) crashed on earth. At that point we were able to transform into animals. But over the years we have lost the abilty to transfer into animals, and animals have lost the abilty to transfer back to humans.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby in_the_shadows » Wed May 30, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm kinda between Buddhist and Pagan.. but I don't believe in an actual God.
Last edited by in_the_shadows on Wed May 30, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Should probably warn you all; I tend to write in a kind of stream of conciousness... for which I am very sorry

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
~Oscar Wilde
in_the_shadows
Advanced Member

Postby galexy96 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:31 pm

I was brought up as christian but when I was about 11, I realized I have atheist views and am now an atheist. Although I do not believe or agree with religious views, I do respect most of them. Although I am atheist, I also enjoyed RE at school and am doing it at A-level as well.
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby magnificentjosh » Wed May 30, 2012 10:41 pm

I used to be of the view that religion, while seemingly obviously wrong, did no real damage to society and there was therefore no reason to set a definite antitheist view. Let them do their thing. I suppose you'd call that Agnosticism.

However, the year before last I took AS Philosophy and Ethics, which involved a lot of biblical study and study into the concept of a god. The more I read, the more I came round to the way of thinking held by Douglas Adams and Richard Dawkins, that the concept of a god is illogical, impossible to prove and probably impossible, and believers in such thing are equivalent to those who believe in any other unprovable, incredibly unlikely concept, such as Astrology, Karma or the Loch Ness Monster. A religion is nothing more than a philosophy with ceremony attached. To treat it as something "divine" and beyond scrutiny seems strange and backward to me.

But more importantly, I also came to the conclusion that religion as a concept was based on the idea that there is a certain point human knowledge can advance to and that everything beyond this point is labelled as God. In every major philosophy (excepting perhaps ones such as Paganism in which it is physical entities that are divine, rather than unseen forces) god is impossible for humans to understand. I found this abhorrent. Religion is a force that actively tells human beings not to expand their view on the universe. Originally, those who sought to find out what the stars were were called heretics and were forbidden from doing experiments to find this out. Then, in a couple of hundred years, there was enough evidence that to say that the stars revolved around the earth made you look like a crazy person and the frontier moved on. Now it was the people who tried to find out where human beings came from that were the heretics and then the people who tried to find how the universe got how it is. Different sections of knowledge have been labelled as "god" before they're known and then when we find answers, the frontier is moved. "God of the Gaps" as this process is known, is an actively destructive thing, restricting the growth of human knowledge.

Of course, my entire argument rests on the fact that there is no god, which, by my own standards, can only be true if the opposite is much less likely. If 2 theories would lead to the same result, then surely it is the simplest that must be assumed to be true. Yes, we could be being held to the earth by invisible angels, but the theory of gravity is much simpler. On this count, I see no dilemma. The problems caused by assuming God to be a fact far outnumber those to the contrary. The most popular argument these days seems to be the modern version of the cosmological argument, that is "Everything has a cause, so what caused the Big Bang?". To me, the obvious answer to that seems to be "If everything has a cause and God caused the Big Bang, what caused god?". The inclusion of god in this argument hasn't solved anything, just made the universe a lot more complicated (God as a space-time entity would need a major rewrite of everything we knew about the universe) and therefore less likely. Once we capitalise god and start talking a Judeo-Christian Omnipotent Omniscient Benevolent Creator God, things get even more complicated and unlikely. All sort of questions are posed by this idea, from the Euthyphro dilemma (can God be all powerful if he is incapable of being a dick?) to the inconsistent triad (God is all powerful, God is all loving, suffering exists) and the question of why people seem to see him doing stuff a lot less than he used to. Yes there are retorts to all of these, but the hoops of logic you need to jump through to justify them mount up so much that there being no God becomes a much simpler concept. Yes, God might be so wise and so loving that he has some sort of great master plan we could never understand, but it'd be less hassle if he just didn't exist.

So, I suppose I'm an antitheist now. I have done a lot of thinking on the subject and can now say "There is no God".

Of course, I could be wrong. But if we had to disprove every illogical and unlikely theory before denouncing it, we'd spend all day avoiding bumping into invisible unicorns.

tl;dr:
1. I used to not care
2. Now I think religion's nothing special, and should have no more protection than conspiracy theories
3. Religion is an active detriment to humanity's progress
4. "No God" is a simpler, and therefore more likely, state than "God"

(edit: To clarify, I have nothing against religious people, I just think they're wrong. It is religion that I am opposed to.)
magnificentjosh

Postby 07williamsdj » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:41 pm

I personaly think that people can have whatever veiws they like about religion, as long as they don't force it upon others or harm others with it.
07williamsdj

Next

Return to Debate Forum