Anyone else get mad about this?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Anyone else get mad about this?

Postby Steph » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Am I the only one who gets mad when defence barristers use a client's neurological condition to try and justify why they have committed a crime? Most people with these conditions are law abiding, thoroughly decent people who would never commit such offences but people who don't know anyone with these conditions assume that we are all like this! I know some people with conditions such as Aspergers and ADHD do commit crime but this is mainly through frustration or other factors rather than the fact that they happened to be born with a neurological condition. I just think it's frustrating enough trying to live in a world that doesn't understand us very well and sometimes has no interest in doing so and this sort of thing makes everything 10 times harder! I know these barristers are just doing their job but it really gets to me. I am very sensitive at the moment anyway due to other issues that have been going on that have affected my confidence but knowing that people are happy to let these conditions become a scapegoat to justify why they have turned to crime really annoys me! What does everyone else think?
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Anyone else get mad about this?

Postby Remus » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 pm

I feel the same. I think there is very few conditions which should be allow to justify someone's actions. I remember seeing a documentary where a woman with a brain tumour (she didn't know she had it) murdered this man and the tumour had severely altered her behaviour and it was used as her defence in court whilst she also underwent treatment. There is also stuff like sleepwalking where a real genuine case, I think would be fair. And of course, one of the more known case was Gary McKinnon and him hacking into the USA's system.

I agree though, there is a lot of conditions where I don't think it can be justified. ADHD for example, I hear a lot about people with that having bad behaviour but I know there is also people with it who are perfectly good and friendly so I don't think it is an excuse.

It really peeves me off when they use that whole crime is in my genetics so I'm more liking to a commit a crime excuse. At the end of the day, condition or not, good, moral people know what is right and what is wrong and make their decisions accordingly.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Justsomeone761 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Yeah, but turn it around for a moment. But what if you could chose between using this excuse or going through some terrible punishment. What would you do?
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore
Justsomeone761
Advanced Member

Postby Steph » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:38 pm

They get the same sentence anyway though-it's just used as a reason for why they committed the crime.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby _robyn_ » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:08 am

hmmmmmm, right now I'm not 100% sure what you mean.
I completely agree that if someone is getting the same sentence that they would do regardless of their neurological condition then there is no way they should be excusing themselves because of it.
but what if (just random example) someone was having a sensory meltdown when someone else just like touched their arm to see if they were okay when the person having the meltdown naturally freaked out and hit them quite hard away. Then lets say the victim of this crime reported them for assault. See I think that would be okay for someone to say "well I have a neurological condition and was in the middle of a meltdown" but then of course they would probably not be criminally charged or there would be leniency.
I'm not sure, I might have this all wrong, I have been watching way too much law and order recently.

Also in terms of everyone assuming we are all criminals because of a few people I think that is more just in general people's fault. Neurological conditions affect people in so many different ways it seems almost stupid to think "well that person committed a crime because they have ADHD so all people with ADHD are criminals"

But I do get extremely annoyed when people blame things they can control on their neurological condition. I remember one boy use to fling rubber bands a me and then say "sorry I have ADHD i get bored" and I would just be so annoyed. "no but you have the mental capacity to fling those rubber bands at a poster on the wall and not a human being"
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Return to Debate Forum