Psychological debate of "Good" and "Evil"

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Psychological debate of "Good" and "Evil"

Postby Dan D Lyons » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:43 pm

A friend of mine showed me this picture , if you look at the white parts you see angels and if you look at the black parts you see demons. This made me think about the concept of good and evil. I live near and go to school in a town which can be quite rough, and I know a few guys who were very nice to me end up doing crimes e.c.t. So in my experience good and bad have a very fine line, this furthered my thinking and my research.

Before I post any of my opinions, I would like to ask you:
:?: Do you think that good and bad really exists?
:?: What do you class as good and bad?
:?: What do you think causes people to be bad?
:?: Are there just some people that are destined to be evil?

Thanks for taking the time to look :)
07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Re: Psychological debate of "Good" and "Evil"

Postby nathanw-j » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 am

surely is it subjective
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan D Lyons » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Thats why im asking!!!! ... and stop calling me Shirley...
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 am

Dan D Lyons wrote:A friend of mine showed me this picture , if you look at the white parts you see angels and if you look at the black parts you see demons. This made me think about the concept of good and evil. I live near and go to school in a town which can be quite rough, and I know a few guys who were very nice to me end up doing crimes e.c.t. So in my experience good and bad have a very fine line, this furthered my thinking and my research.

Before I post any of my opinions, I would like to ask you:
:?: Do you think that good and bad really exists?
:?: What do you class as good and bad?
:?: What do you think causes people to be bad?
:?: Are there just some people that are destined to be evil?

Thanks for taking the time to look :)

I love that pic, it really cool.
Personal I don't think that there is good and bad as such - people make mistakes but that is part of life. I don't think some people are destined to be evil, some people make bigger mistakes then others and some people make the same mistake over and over again, but the is properly a reason for it, for example did they have a good childhood? were there parents in and out of prison? - when you growing up and you seeing you parents/family members being in and out prison then you may grow up believing that it is right. I also think their psychological state of mind plays a big part, is there a condition which that person hasn't been diagnosed with and therefore not getting the help that their required.

Someone who I know younger brother has just been sent to jail for ABH but when you look at his life style - he older sister is often ill and in hospital, his younger brother is servely disabled, his mum has cancer and his dad is trying to look after them all but as he is 'normal' he often overlooked and left to his own things. - I not trying to say that because of his lifestyle is a excuse/acceptal reason for what he did I just think that someone should try and work out why these criminals do what their do and work with them to help them in the future
wadey
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm

i didnt call you shirley!!!!

and in my opnion:

1) they exist
2) bad is hateing on people other than whalers, yoloers and people who irritate the hell out of me, good being people i can stand and/or do good for humanity
3) i think some poeple choose to be bad and others are drawn to it against their will
4) nobody is destined to be evil, they just choose to be pricks to the world
Last edited by nathanw-j on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Awesome picture. :)

1 - Definitely, good and evil definitely exists in this world because to different degrees.

2 - I class good as just being a decent person, being kind, helping someone if they need, looking out for people. Evil and badness I find a lot more difficult to classify because there is so many acts in this world which you could class as evil. You've obviously got stuff like murder which is of course evil but I think it depends a lot on the circumstances. For example, if you planned and carried out a brutal murder, naturally that's evil and you totally deserve a one-way ticket to hell but would it be fair to call someone the same if they accidentally killed someone in self-defence or by some tragic accident. Evil has different strokes.

3 - I think there is a lot of reasons but I think it's important not to use it as an excuse in most cases. Most people know the different between right and wrong and ultimately if you do something bad, you should pay for it. The problem is some people's morals are just so way off course.

4 - Hard question but I would say yes, I think some people naturally are just bad people and always will be.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dan D Lyons » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 pm

nathanw-j wrote:i didnt call you shirley!!!!

It was just some punnage :P .

You have put some interesting points across. Wadey, your post reminds of social learning theory.

I always find morals a bit odd, I mean that I don't think that I am a horrible person but I don't exactly have a moral rule-book.

In my opinion, I think that things which would push people who are not mentally ill to be "evil" are a bad case on social learning theory (Bandura 1960s when the children copied an aggressive adult role model), abuse of power (Think Zimbardo in the 70s where normal Americans did bad things) and being manipulated by an authority figure (Milgram in the 1960/70s when people thought that they were electrocuting others because the person in a lab-coat told them too). I don't think that people are born bad, just changed by these variables.
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 am

I found a book about a person who researched about those who are likely to commit crimes, she went to twelve different prison across Scotland, London, east sussex and kent and interviewed lots of prisoner. Out of everyone she interviewed at least one prisoner experinced one of the following in their childhood

:!: Moved schools at least once a year
:!: Have a learning difficulty (mainly dyslexia) which meant they weren't able to achieve good grades
:!: Their parents split up while they were still at school
:!: Their parents took drugs/did crime in front of the child
:!: That they were bullied at school
:!: They were sexually or physically abused by their parents
:!: That their ended up doing an adult role by looking after younger siblings
:!: Teachers who were always telling them that they 'stupid, will never be able to do anything etc'
:!: Got exluced from school
wadey
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Dan D Lyons wrote:

punnage?
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Rodge1991 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 am

without evil there can be no good...and vice versa

if there was just evil then this would be classed as normal, the world needs a blend of good and evil without one the other will also cease to be.
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby nataliekirkland » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 pm

1-It does exist but we can do something to influence bad things in the world
2- Taking advantage of people, hurting people, child abuse
3- upbringing, their surroundings, who they know, if they don't know the difference between right and wrong, power hungry people
4- Disagree because there are so many outside influences that effect their lifestyle and the people who influence their choices, though we could try and get them to see what they are doing is wrong
nataliekirkland
Mega Poster

Postby Paddington » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:16 am

Firstly I think good an bad really dose exist.
Secondly I class anything that is bad as an action that deliberately hurts someone ( being cruel to be kind dose not apply).It also depends on the situation. Good is anything other than that.
Thirdly I think human nature/ bad experiences / up bringing / various other factors cause people to be bad.
Fourthly I don't believe in destinies therefore I don't believe that people are destined to be either good or evil.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Dan D Lyons » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 am

Another point is, do we think that some things are "evil" or bad just because our society has told us to do so?
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:11 pm

nathanw-j wrote:
Dan D Lyons wrote:

punnage?

It's a joke from the Leslie Nielsen film Airplane. Doesn't work as well when the word surely is typed though.

Good and evil is entirely a matter of perspective. Is a hound evil for chasing foxes and killing them? No, because the hound has no concept of what is 'right'. We like to think of ourselves as good or evil, but we're innately competitive and aggressive creatures. Millions were slaughtered during WWII, and many consider this to be evil, which it is in the classical sense of morality, but our significance is judged by us, and we are obviously impartial. There's not really any reason for anything in the universe, and we're just a minute part of the universe at any rate. If you believe in the multiverse theory, then every possible permutation of decisions and events is covered by an infinite number of other universes, and as such, even if we're hugely 'good' in this universe, there are many more where we're hugely 'evil'.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Paddington » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:56 pm

well yes. Nelson Mandela was considered a terrorist by most of the world at one point.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Return to Debate Forum