Are today's children pushed too hard?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Are today's children pushed too hard?

Postby Remus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:11 am

Today, I saw on the news they are talking about altering lessons for things like teaching five year olds fractions and kids being able to make computer programs and studying evolution and all these fancy things. I was wondering on what everyone opinions are on the modern education system and the curriculum and are kids being pushed too hard?

Personally, I think they are and we as a society are not letting kids be kids these days which the mass amount of studying they have to do. I saw the other day that some mental health charity (can't remember what it was called) says that there is a vast number of young people who are now suffering from depression or anxiety as a result of pressure from exams and coursework and all of that and that is just terrible.

Don't get me wrong, kids still need to learn and study but I think there is a risk of taking it too far.
Remus
Site Admin

Re: Are today's children pushed too hard?

Postby wadey » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 am

I agree with you remus. Don't think it fair that they going to expect 5 yr old to learn fractions when they still learning how to count
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:28 pm

They said on the news today, there is plans for 4 year olds to sit tests. That's ridiculous!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby wadey » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Yes I saw that in the newspaper while I was delivering papers. It is ridcouls.....personally I think the school starting age should change, like in.France pretty surr they don't start school until 7
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Dan D Lyons » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm

I agree with you. There is far too much emphasis on learning fifty-million things by the age of ten and growing up! I did my work experience in my primary school where they were doing this rather taxing project (which I did in primary school). Now, about this project, when my sister did it she was a year younger than when I did it and these kids were a year younger than her. That means that this project was started two years before I did it. I mean, most of the kids didn't even know what a method was (and that was very hard to explain when they didn't understand about recipes and I tried to explain it using making a cake as an example). Don't get me wrong, they were all bright kids, I just don't think its fair on them by doing that.
07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Firstly, hey Remus! Haven't been on here in years and you're site admin now, congrats!

Because every child is different, pressure works well for some and can crush others. I was always pretty relaxed about exams, which probably lead to my fairly unremarkable grades, but I know some people felt physically ill before exams, and this is not acceptable. Stress is a big risk factor for many late-life diseases, and if we're taught that stress is normal at a young age, we may grow with this problem and make it part of our lives.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:31 am

I think there's no doubt that today's children are pushed more than we were at school but it depends on individual schools and teachers too. My sister is a Year 2 teacher and she managed to get her class through the SATs and other tests this year without causing them any anxiety. She didn't make a big deal out of it-the only way they knew it was a test was that everything on the wall display that could have helped them was covered up. I think this sort of attitude is best as some teachers get really stressed and anxious about the whole thing due to league tables and this then gets transferred to the kids. Some kids will always put pressure on themselves to do well though. I was a lot like that at school-to me, academia was the only area in which I had strengths and so I felt that I had to prove myself.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey Dan, it's been a long time, it's good to see you, I hope you are well. Yeah, we had trouble with spammers taking over so Lucy, James and I volunteered.

Yeah, stress is becoming more of an issue and I really think something needs to be done about it and the balance needs to be rectified but I suppose it is difficult as every child has their own unique needs.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby wadey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 pm

at the school where i help out (an infant school), our beliefs was/still is that we don't put pressure on the children and tell them not to worry about it and we act like it just another piece of 'ordinary' work. However we now have a new headteacher which have changed things and putting pressure on the children telling them they must do well otherwise she wont be happy etc and also that they must know their individual targets at all times. These children are 4-7 years old, i understand it important for them to have a target but I think it really unfair that they must know it at all times and it not fair on them being told they must do well in the test.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Paddington » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:17 pm

I think this is wrong four year olds sitting tests? that is just wrong. children are being pushed to hard fractions at 5 I just about knew my numbers up to 10. School nowadays seems too testy there are tests left right and centre and what do they prove? I am one of those people who is top of the class in one thing but when I am tested come in the middle in my exam results. Do we realy want children to feel self disappointment at an early age?

putting stress on young children is not the way forward surely people get worse when they are stressed(forgetting what they know e.tc). Did the people in power get graded at an early age or lose sleep worrying about where they were ranked in the country. There argument is that they want children to be as well educated as people in Indonesia and India. But surely they could do it in a different way this is fundamentally wrong young children should not be pushed they should enjoy life as it is not be worried about exam results. save that for when they are teenagers and adults if at all.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Paddington wrote:I think this is wrong four year olds sitting tests? that is just wrong. children are being pushed to hard fractions at 5 I just about knew my numbers up to 10. School nowadays seems too testy there are tests left right and centre and what do they prove? I am one of those people who is top of the class in one thing but when I am tested come in the middle in my exam results. Do we realy want children to feel self disappointment at an early age?

putting stress on young children is not the way forward surely people get worse when they are stressed(forgetting what they know e.tc). Did the people in power get graded at an early age or lose sleep worrying about where they were ranked in the country. There argument is that they want children to be as well educated as people in Indonesia and India. But surely they could do it in a different way this is fundamentally wrong young children should not be pushed they should enjoy life as it is not be worried about exam results. save that for when they are teenagers and adults if at all.

when it comes to test for four years old, it not like a proper test. They have to write a letter so we can assess their spellings, grammer and puncunation etc
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Paddington » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 am

maybe but that still doesn't prove much especially in a 4 year old I am roughly top of my English class ( I think) and my spelling, grammar and punctuation are still appalling
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Paddington wrote:maybe but that still doesn't prove much especially in a 4 year old I am roughly top of my English class ( I think) and my spelling, grammar and punctuation are still appalling

It's not bad. English literature and English language both assess these things to different levels. If you understand a story and can write your own, then spelling, grammar and punctuation are not as relevant for English literature as they are for language.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Rodge1991 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Honestly some kids can learn quickly-like 2 year olds able to use DVD players. Children need to be pushed, but I think (even from 10-15 years ago) that expectations are too high in some cases and it should be tailored to childrens' needs.
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Rodge1991 wrote:Honestly some kids can learn quickly-like 2 year olds able to use DVD players. Children need to be pushed, but I think (even from 10-15 years ago) that expectations are too high in some cases and it should be tailored to childrens' needs.

should 2 years old be able to use a dvd player? In my opioin over the years parents have became lazier and prefer putting their kids in front of t.v or the computer, which is why these kids can use a computer & dvds player. At the age parents should be taking them out to parks helping them climb trees, and playing with them.
wadey
Site Admin

Next

Return to Debate Forum