Dream Interpretation

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Dream Interpretation

Postby Remus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Do you ever think your dreams ever mean something, subliminal or not? I ask because the other day I had the most strangest dream which I will tell you about later. Do dreams hold real meanings behind them for us or are they completely random and meaningless?
Remus
Site Admin

Re: Dream Interpretation

Postby Paddington » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Interesting Idea but generaly dreams have no meaning ( or that is my opinion) on average you have about 7 dreams a night. In a week that's 49 dreams and that's 196 dreams a month. Normally we don't consciously remember these dreams but when people say "I dreamt this was going to happen" its highly unlikely that its a subconscious message or a prediction of the future its just your brain has seen it (or something similar) before and lets face it the brain has on average 2352 dreams a year which it can select a visions that might relate to something you are experiencing/have experienced. Your brain will just bring up the memory of having that particular dream. There are also other factors like what you have seen i.e if you have fallen asleep with a cat on your head you have an increased chance of dreaming about cats as your brain processes what it has seen throughout the day and indeed at the time you fell asleep .

I once had a dream that some people at my primary school were bullying my rabbit. Many people arguing against my point would grasp this idea and say ah but as the rabbit was yours then surely it links to you and the people who were bullying the rabbit later bullied you and this is therefore a prediction of the future. Now how does this link into my argument?

Well the brain is an extraordinary thing that even now we don't understand but when trying to prove the hypothesis that dreams mean something our brain will be actively engaged to seek out random events that could possibly link to one another when it could just be a coincidence or it may just be I had felt excluded since I was young and something that made me feel especially excluded had happened the previous day and my brain was simply processing this information when it was in the stage of sleep in which our brains process emotions and I was having this dream in that stage of sleep.

Summing up my argument:
I know that most people wont have time to read the above or will get annoyed at my rambling/ lack of spelling and grammar so here is a sum up.
Dreams have no meaning our brains will just select dreams ( of which we have on average 2352 a year) which are relevant to the event and thus you get the " I dreamt that would happen" experience
People arguing for the idea that dreams mean something's brains will pick up random dreams that you have had and experiences (see my rabbit dream analogy above)
Dreams do not mean something they are just a by product of what our brains do at night like moving short term memories and experience form the day to long term memories.

If you want to dispute my evidence or are interested in the science of dreaming and sleep, I recommend you check out ASAP science on YouTube- Be warned it will be tricky to stop watching these videos once you have started.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby wadey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 am

Sometimes I think they do mean something. For an example I had a dream about a year ago that my neighbour was being burglared, I woke up and woke my friend up to tell them i just going to check on my neighbour house (they were on hoilday so I was in charge) luckily they weren't being burgarld but the co-op which is just down my road was!

There also been times that I have dreamt that a loved one or animal has died, and the next morning, we get that dreadred phone call or I have found that animal has died.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby _robyn_ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 am

I don't think dreams mean anything in terms of predictions. However I do think dreams can reflect current stuff or emotions. Such as (just a random example) I was really excited about school for many reasons and I had a dream my school built a roller coaster. Obviously that did not happen but it could have been my brain saying "Oh you are excited for school. You also get excited on roller coasters! boom!" So sometimes (definitely not all the time) a dream could be kind of your brain just reminding you of current stuff in really weird ways- I always have crazy dreams, at least the ones I remember.
_robyn_
Mega Poster

Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Postby Remus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree on dreams not mean anything when it comes to prediction, I was referring more to inner, subconscious feelings. For example, I had a dream I was being held hostage at a gunpoint in a supermarket, really weird and whilst chances of that happening are very slim :P, the dream could have been reflecting my own inner feelings about feeling threatened/trapped at that particular time etc and I think it could be the same for many other people.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby CharlieKnill » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Dreams will send you omens, tell you the future, good luck or bad luck and avise you of each coming event!
CharlieKnill
Advanced Member

Return to Debate Forum