chinese cinderella/ falling leaves

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

chinese cinderella/ falling leaves

Postby Joss1991 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:57 pm

hey anyone red chinese cindrella or falling leaves i have read both of them chinese cindrella is the childrens version which i have read twenty times and falling leaves (the adult version) twice.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:11 pm

My friend has read Chinese Cinderella but I haven't read it - from what I've heard it's too sad.
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:21 pm

I've read both Chinese Cinderella and Falling Leaves. Do you know that Adeline Yen Mah has written more books? Her latest one is an adventure novel, Chinese Cinderella and the Secret Dragon Society, which is based on the short stories she used to write to keep her occupied when she was being bullied by Niang. She has also published two books about Chinese history, language, custom and culture: Watching the Tree and A Thousand Pieces of Gold.

I thought Adeline came across as quite self-pitying in both her autobiographical works. That's not to be wondered at, given the abuse she suffered, but I think the books would have been still more poignant if she had just stuck to raw unvarnished facts without repeatedly imploring the reader to pity her. Aside from that, I was absorbed by them both, and deeply touched by her love for her YeYe and Aunt Baba.

www.adelineyenmah.com
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:25 pm

P.S. Joss, if you enjoy Adeline Yen Mah, you will love Jamila Gavin. I recommend her Surya trilogy. The three books are called The Wheel of Surya, The Eye of the Horse, and The Track of the Wind. The story opens in India in 1947, when the country was in the grip of much chaos and bloodshed. A brother and a sister, Jaspal and Marvinder, are forced to leave their home because of the fighting and they resolve to travel to England to try and find their father. Only when they get there, everything is not as they imagined.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Joss1991 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:44 pm

thanks for the book name i have read chinese cindrella and the secret dragon society but i didnt enjoy it as much.
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby Goldenhamster » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:49 pm

I know what you mean about her coming across as self-pitying, Vicky, but you can hardly blame her given what she went through. Interestingly, she seemed to be more upset by her father's indifference to her than Niang's open dislike of her.

I have read both Falling Leaves and Chinese Cinderella and I loved both of them. Ye Ye and Aunt Baba are what relatives should be: kind, supportive and wise.

Speaking of Chinese books, has anybody read Wild Swans? It is also an autobiographical work, but it is historical as well. Using her grandmother's, mother's and her own story she has describe 20th century China right from the days of the Warlords, to the Japanese invasion, the Communist takeover and Chairman Mao's ruthless campaigns. The history and Politics are made interesting by a lively and exciting family tale.
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:38 pm

I have read Wild Swans and I was spellbound by it. Jung Chang has become the face of China in transition.

Other excellent books by Chinese writers include:

Bound Feet and Western Dress by Pang-Mei Natasha Chang

Red Azalea by Anchee Min

Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

The Good Women of China by Xinran

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (fictional, but so good).

Homesick by Jean Fritz (a children's book that tells the story of the author's childhood in a China seething with the desire for revolution).
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Joss1991 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:45 pm

thanks for all the book name si see i have a lot of books to read (which is a good thing i have been looking for good books)
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby monkey » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:46 pm

ive read chiness cinderalla and chines cinderalla and the secret drangon socienty. i enjoyed them.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Goldenhamster » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Well that's certainly broadened my reading list a bit.

Another interesting thing I read was a modern author's sequel to Daphne Du Maurier's 'Rebecca.' I did not agree entirely with the author's viewpoint on the novel, especially on the character of Rebecca, but found it very interesting a well written all the same.

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby Goldenhamster » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:56 pm

P.S. I'm going to look for Chinese Cinderella and the Secret Dragon Society now, it sounds really good!

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby Joss1991 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:01 pm

good its a really great book but it is very upsetting as it is all true so some bits may make you cry (i hope im not the only one who started crying)
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:51 pm

The Dragon Society isn't true, Joss. That is fiction based on fact.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Joss1991 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:16 pm

yeh i know i meant the 1st book
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby sumer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:10 pm

i ve read chinise cinderrella i think its brilliant i want to get falling leaves but i cant find it any where :cry:
sumer
Forum Master

Next

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc