Movies you should watch list

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

Movies you should watch list

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:19 pm

The "books you should read list" was a good idea and, being a movie-a-holic, I thought I'd start a list of "movies you should watch". These can be funny, thought provoking, crazy, adventurous, animated, action, family, any kind of movie you want...just reccomend it here:

for the dramatic and thought provoking here's 2 I'd reccommend:

Forrest Gump-academy award winning story about a man with an IQ that is below average, his best friend, Jenny, and his views on the world as he lives life in a country that is always changing. Tom Hanks won best Actor for this film and the film also won best director and best picture in 1994.

Crash-one of my favorites of all time. I will give you a head's up, this movie will blow your mind! It is a movie that most everyone can relate to in some way shape or form. It's about racism in LA, but it might as well be about racism everywhere. It is also a little about se*ism too. I watched this movie and then I thought about it for DAYS afterward. Every person in this film is a good actor. Every person plays the part well and makes the film and its characters very real. It has hit home for everyone I have talked to who has watched it. It's not about the "Remember the Titans" type racism that's blatant, but it's more about the subtle, racial/se*ist remarks and attitudes that the world faces. Winner of Best Picture, Best Director (Paul Haggis), and best original screenplay, Crash is a knockout. It stars many people so I'll just name a few: Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon (who was nominated for Best Supporting actor for his role), Brendan Frasier, Thandie Newton, Don Cheadle (from Hotel Rwanda), Terrence Howard (Hustle and Flow), Ludacris, Micheal Pena, Jennifer Esposito (Related, Law and Order SVU), and Ryan Phillippe.

ON the funnier side of things:

THe Cutting Edge (the original not the sequel). Starring D.B. Sweeney (Roommates, 8 Men Out) and Moira Kelly (The West Wing, The Lion King). This is my favorite film of all time I would have to say. It's about a hockey player who, when he finds out he can't play anymore, decides to become a pairs figure skater. It becomes really funny when he is paired up with a girl that is totally opposite of him. There are many funny lines in the film.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:41 am

One of my definite favorite movies is based on a steven king novel "the body" though the movie changed the title to "Stand by me" because they thought it might put viewers off and it's not acutally a horror! LOL.
"little nicky" for laughs
"lord of the rings"
"Phone both" and "panic room"- suspence!
"Amadeus"- Mozarts life.
"interview with a vampire" "Lost boys" "the last vampire= (this is cheese)" and "underworld" for you vampire peeps!!!
"cabin fever"- Grosse stuff directed by Eli Roth!
"the ring" and "the grudge" for the horror icon girl with long black hair climbing up and down wells and stairs.
"signs"- aliens???]
"I-robot" is wicked.
"rat race" "the italien job"
really moving and horrible tense and let's- leave- the- room- it's-to-emotional movie: "shindlers list" "the last samarie" and "the gladiator"
and or course all the muppet movies and the occasional disney (pirates of the carribean). meh...can't think of anymore, lol. Keep u posted! :D
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:28 pm

I liked Gladiator too. Also The Last Samurai was good.

For the funny side:
I like Bruce Almighty, The Princess Diaries, The Princess Bride, I like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Family Stone, Return to Me, While You Were Sleeping, Ferris Bueller's Day off

Drama: Seabiscuit,Pirates of the Caribbean, , Footloose, Jerry Maguire, Top Gun, , Signs, Where the Heart Is, Harry Potter (all, but mostly 3 and 4),Polly (not the old Haley Mills one but rather the newer one that had Keisha Knight Pulliam from the Cosby Show on it. It was only on TV and has never been released to DVD, much to my dismay) and Hook.

Pride and Prejudice (with Keira Knightley),

Sports:
Bend it Like Beckham, The Sandlot,A league of Their Own,

Animated: Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Anastasia, Aladdin, Toy Story 2, Ice Age, Shrek 2, Tarzan, The Prince of Egypt
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:24 pm

im a media student who wants to progress into film class. give me a while and i could make an awesome list.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:56 pm

intowiz wrote:im a media student who wants to progress into film class. give me a while and i could make an awesome list.

I think if I keep on staying on here forever, this list could become very very long! I've seen so many good movies. I have actually started a new goal for this year: Watch 100 movies that I have never seen in 1 year! Here's the 1st 13 that I watched. I started on December 26th (so technically last year, but it will go until December 26th of this year):

1. Walk the Line (With Joaquin Pheonix and Reese Witherspoon)
2. The Family Stone (with Sarah Jessica Parker, Luke Wilson, Craig T. Nelson, and Rachel McAdams)
3. Forrest Gump (with Tom Hanks and Robyn Wright Penn)
4. Win a Date With Tad Hamilton! (with Topher Grace (That 70s Show), Kate Bosworth, and Josh Duhamel (Las Vegas)
5. Crash (with Matt Dillon, Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, and Ryan Phillippe, among many others)
6. The Second Chance (with Michael W. Smith)
7. Failure to Launch (with Matthew McCaunaghey and Sarah Jessica Parker)
8. Cinderella Man (with Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger, and Paul Giammatti (Sideways))
9. The Pianist (with Adrien Brody, among many other German and Polish actors I didn't know)
10. Superman (with Christopher Reeve)
11. Superman 2 (with Christopher Reeve)
12. Risky Business (with Tom Cruise)
13. The Constant Gardener (with Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Wiesz)

Of those, the really great ones were numbers 1-5, 8-9, and 13. The okay ones were numbers 6-7 and 10-11. I didn't like Risky Business.

For a good laugh:
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!, Superman 1 and 2 (b/c you can laugh at the lines and special effects), The Family Stone (which has already been previously mentioned), as well as others like Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Elf, Wedding Crashers, Mean Girls, Failure to Launch,Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, Old School, Big Daddy, Runaway Bride, Pretty Woman, Mrs. Doubtfire, 13 Going on 30, The Princess Diaries, and Zoolander.

For a good dramatic presentation that may or may not make you cry: Crash, Walk the Line, Cinderella Man, Forrest Gump, The Constant Gardener, The Pianist, Cold Mountain, Gattaca, Erin Brockovich, Patch Adams, Bicentennial Man, The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, Field of Dreams, Remember the Titans, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Cider House Rules, Pay it Forward, Secondhand Lions, and The Sixth Sense. The last three (and Forrest Gump) have Haley Joel Osment in them. In the last three he has a starring role.

For if you want a movie with a good message: Any of the above dramatic movies and The Second Chance.

For a good girlpower movie: Bend it Like Beckham, Where the Heart Is, Erin Brockovich, Mulan, Anastasia, Mean Girls, Fly Away Home, The Princess Diaries.

Fun and Adventure: Any of the LOTR or Harry Potter films will due. Anything that has to do with Peter Pan or Star Wars or Pirates.

Musicals: Chicago, Rent, Grease, Moulin Rouge (who knew Nicole Kidman could sing b4 this movie?), and Footloose.

Sci-fi: Gattaca (Starring Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Jude Law) (a great futuristic thriller), Star Wars.

Family: The Wizard of Oz, Shirley Temple films, The 1994 Miracle on 34th street (with Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott, and Mara Wilson), Matilda, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Grinch (old or newer one), pretty much any of the traditionally animated Disney films up through Tarzan. Although Atlantis and The Emporer's New Groove are good too. Pixar films (all of them, except A Bug's Life). THe Prince of Egypt, Anastasia, Polly, Fly Away Home. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I am definitely sure I will post more later! 8)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby cookie-monster » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:24 pm

Mean Girls
Lilo and stitch (1 and 2)
cookie-monster
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Didn't like Lilo and Stitch too much. I guess it was because I expected it to be happier than it was...

I think after Tarzan, which was the last great Disney movie, Disney began its decline. Emporer's New Groove and Atlantis were good, but not great. Now it seems only the Pixar films are good. I am looking forward to seeing Cars (new Pixar film) and The Wild (new Disney film that actually looks good!). 8)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkwine » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Cast Away
The Boure Supremacy
The Boure Identity
Catch me if you can

Also, as far as TV dramas go i'd reccomend you get Lost and Lost 2 (i've already watched a lot of lost 2 because i download it as each episode is released in America)
"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."

- Napoleon Bonaparte
pinkwine

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:56 pm

Gattaca (a realistic sci-fi thriller with Ethan Hawke, Jude Law, and Uma Thurman) 8)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:35 pm

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV series. I'm renting it on DVD now, and it's much better than the film. There's just so much to it, and it's hard to take everything in- there's so much going on the screen.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Schindler's List

La Gloire de mon Pere (French)

Kingdom of Heaven

Lagaan (Hindi)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:37 pm

mmm...

Donnie Darko (weird cult classic)
Brokeback Mountain
The Notebook
A Walk To Remember
This Old Cub
(a movie about Ron Santo, the Chicago Cub that played his whole career with juvenile (Type 1) diabetes. THey didn't even have much treatment back when he played and it's about his courageous battles against diabetes. He has two prosthetic legs and is still going strong. He is now an announcer for the Cubs.)
The Sandlot
The Mighty Ducks
Star Wars s*xtet
(I reccommend watching the 1970s/80s movies first, then the newer ones).
Mona Lisa Smile
Erin Brockovich
(a movie about how one woman fought against a water treatment plant that was sending cancerous poisons into drinking water. Based on a true story.) Julia Roberts won the much deserved Oscar for this movie.
Good Will Hunting (about a genius Harvard University janitor (Matt Damon) who figures out the solution to the hardest math problem in the world. Then the professor demands that he tell how he figured it out and he is sent to a psychologist (played by Robin Williams) so that they can figure out why he is not enrolled at the school. Will (the janitor) and the psychologist develop a relationship that changes both of their lives. Robin Williams won best supporting actor and Matt Damon and Ben Affleck won Oscars for their writing of this movie. They wrote it when they were in their junior year in college. 8) Just to warn you, if you don't like hearing people swear every ten seconds, don't watch this movie. It also stars Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck, and Minnie Driver. One of my top 30 movies of all time.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc