Twilight book Review

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

Twilight book Review

Postby _robyn_ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 am

Is absolutely Awful!

Sorry to Twilight fans, you may not like what I'm about to say but it is my opinion (usually I try not to be harsh with my opinion but this needs to be said.)

Ok so the twilight movies were ok, dragged on a bit and sometimes got boring, but they were still ok and there were the occasional good scene.

So I thought of reading the book- my friend lent me a copy, I read it. It is just....well...complete rubbish. I don't even know how it got published!

The plot is not even interesting, the characters are so withdrawn you can't connect to any of them and Bella....oh my gosh I don't want to get started on Bella. She is described as not the prettiest girl, yet she can get the fit dude and then she has no backbone- she spends hours weeping over Edward saying she will do anything for him and then when Edward tells her to do something she ignores him!

As for this version of...sparkling...fairies?? I'm not sure what they are but the Cullans are not vampires.
A) Even vegie vampires need to be scarier then them
B) They have no weakness! What happened to garlic and a cross, with these things you need to be able to tear them to shreds! (It is annoying having people who don't easily get destroyed, so if something dangerous is happening then it is like...well we all know they will survive...)
C) THEY SPARKLE!

Twilight has ruined the name of vampires!

Also, the most annoying thing (well it probably isn't) is that Bella and Edward don't even seem close to being "in love" Bella through out the whole book says one reason why she likes Edward- it is repeated alot, in many different ways every paragraph and that is that he looks good. The only reason Edward likes Bella is because he wants to eat her (oh she..."Smells good" is that meant to be romantic?) and while on the topic of romance, if I saw a person from school who said I smelt nice, who never came out in the sun and I saw them watching me sleeping, I would not think it was romantic. I would knock them out with a baseball bat and ask for a restraining order! (no matter how good looking they are)

My friend said the only reason i did not like the book was because of all the "big words" i did not understand it. Now, in every single descriptive paragraph it is like Stephenie Meyer used a thesaurus n every words and then added in a load of metaphors to thread it together.

Now, then my friend said well the plot was too sophisticated for me, the plot was boring. It only got good near the end then bella was knocked out for most of it.

I read a review of Twilight and in the review the guy sums up the whole twilight book in a few sentences-
First 200 pages:
"I like you, Edward!"
"You shouldn't! I'm dangerous!"
"I like you, Edward!"
"But I'm dangerous!"

Next 50 pages:
"I'm a vampire!"
"I like you, Edward!"
"But I'm a vampire! I'm dangerous!"
"I like you, Edward!"

Next 100 pages:
"I like you, Edward!"
"You smell good, Bella. I'm dangerous!"
"I like you, Edward!"
"Damn, you smell good."
"I like you, Edward!"
"Also, I glow in sunlight."

Next 50 pages:
A. VAMPIRE. BASEBALL. GAME.
(I wish I was kidding)

Last 100 pages:
"Help me, Edward! I'm being chased!"
"I'll save you!"
"Help me, Edward! I'm scared!"
"I'll save you!"
"Oh, Edward!"
"You smell good."

Finally-
The one thing that annoyed me most about this book is when people compare it to... Harry potter...
J.K Rowling is not the best author in the world, but she is very good and has written extremely good and popular books with amazing plots that is full of imagination that have become very good and even more popular movies (more people watch the movies then read the books) now it is a absolute disgrace and slap in the face to J.K Rowling to compare Twilight to Harry potter.
Not only are they nothing alike, Harry Potter is about wizards and adventure, Twilight is about vampires and romance but Harry potter is a legend and "There will not be a child in our world who will not know his name," (:D)
and twilight...well I have made my point how bad Twilight is.
Twilight-0.01 stars.
(please post your thoughts on Twilight and sorry for the long review but there was alot to complain about :mrgreen: )
_robyn_
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 am
Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Remus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Considering it has sold millions of copies worldwide, it clearly has done something right.
Image
User avatar
Remus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5395
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:16 pm
Location: Luxvia, Austria, The Machine, lol! :D

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby _robyn_ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Remus wrote:Considering it has sold millions of copies worldwide, it clearly has done something right.


Yeh,I'm still trying to figure out how that happened?
Sorry if I went on a bit of a rampage- the book just annoys me..

I just can't actually figure out why it is so popular?? I just didn't like it from start to finish...

I will admit that the thing I did like was it being read from bella's perspective so you only never know what she knows.

Apart from that- I hated it.
_robyn_
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 am
Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Creative » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I also tried to read it and didn't like it. I haven't seen the films.
I don't know why people like it so much! I prefer Harry Potter!
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby wadey » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Im glad i not the only one who doesnt like twilight :)
User avatar
wadey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5895
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:45 pm
Location: Thanet

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Creative » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Most of the staff at my local library hate it. However one of the staff enjoyed the books so much she couldn't put them down.
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Wolf Spirit » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 am

Most of my friends love it. I went to see the third movie with them and it was so outragesly dull. According to them the movies are awful in comparison to the books but I don't plan to churn through 500+ pages of boring nonsense. The only bits I liked in the movie was where the 'werewolves' were wolves.
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
User avatar
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:42 pm
Location: Ilko! :D

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Creative » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:57 pm

I've started reading it again and I'm enjoying it so far. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished it.
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby _robyn_ » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Wolf Spirit wrote:Most of my friends love it. I went to see the third movie with them and it was so outragesly dull. According to them the movies are awful in comparison to the books but I don't plan to churn through 500+ pages of boring nonsense. The only bits I liked in the movie was where the 'werewolves' were wolves.


The only character I liked was jacob. Bella was winey and annoying, Edward was the worst boyfriend in the world and he had no emotion.

But Jacob actually seemed like a alright character- then apparently in eclipse he turn just as rubbish as the rest.

All my friends told me to give the other books a chance, and eventually I agreed to read breaking dawn and - wow! wow in a bad way. Like I said about Jacob- every single bit of goodness about him was crushed. also, it was way to sciency- it was basically saying like "cause edward is 25 and bella is 23 that means the baby is 24 so its future can't be seen and also it is made because the numbers average out to a vampire."

I was like "huh?" it is a world of vampires and werewovles cant it just say "It was magic!" In one of the previous books it said a vampire can not be born, so if you are going to brake a rule at least make it a miracle.I gave up on the book half way through. -.-
_robyn_
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 am
Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby JamesStanley » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:57 am

I Hate twilight I hated the books and Im not a big fan of the films the only person in it I like is Jacob. I think vampires that sparkle in the sunlight are just stupid and hate robert pattinson.
User avatar
JamesStanley
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:58 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Liz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Debates on Twilight are great :D
I read the books a couple of months ago, I was just being curious because I couldn't think of a reason why those novels seld so much copies and why the author made a ton of money for writing such fiction. And I can see some reasons now, I guess.
I mean, it's twilight. It's being written for entertainment purposes , including elements such as love, romance ect. is just something most readers can identify with. Plus, structuring the plot in a certain way -- those quotes of Bella at the start wich turns the whole novel in a narrative redundancy -- clearly increases tension and the reader will probably all the other novels in order to find out what happens next.
So it's all about marketing?
I'm not really sure. I think the novels (and also the movies in some respect) work out pretty well, they represent a certain kind of entertainment, easy-going humour and stuff most people like reading, especially the relationship Bella and Edward are in. Plus, the way something "mysterious" (such as a vampire .. I know this sounds dull) and "ordinary" (Bella) are combined offer the illusion of escaping, of putting oneself in the shoes of Bella. Which is, in turn, surprisingly simple since there are a lot of character traits Bella represents a lot of people can relate to.

The only thing that I still find upsetting is the way Bella is portrayed in terms of being "stereotypical female". She cooks and cleans the house all the time, there is hardly any word about her father or glorious Edward helping her. I mean, what the hell?!
User avatar
Liz
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:12 pm

I really love twilight, but harry potter is my all time favorite.
Attachments
385px-Funny-twilight-and-harry-potter-pictures-harry-potter-vs-twilight-14685877-400-498-1-.gif
385px-Funny-twilight-and-harry-potter-pictures-harry-potter-vs-twilight-14685877-400-498-1-.gif (79.75 KiB) Viewed 676 times
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
User avatar
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:05 am
Location: Somewhere In Neverland

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby Creative » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:15 pm

I've just finished New Moon. It was awful. I didn't enjoy any of it although people kept telling me it got better at the end. Did it? I must have missed that! I've started Eclipse now. I hope that's better!
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:53 pm

_robyn_ wrote:Ok so the twilight movies were ok, dragged on a bit and sometimes got boring, but they were still ok and there were the occasional good scene.

So I thought of reading the book- my friend lent me a copy, I read it. It is just....well...complete rubbish. I don't even know how it got published!


I disagree. The films are boring. It was tourture to watch. the 1st was actually ok. they got worse from there. the last one I watched (I think it's the one before the one that has just been released) was soo boring, I wanted to turn it off halfway though. I only watched all of it was a present.

On the books, at least I could read them and not get bored. like the films, the first one was the best, and they went downhill from there (with a very dissappointing end to the last book), but I actually wanted to finish them.

I'm not a twi-hard, but I'm not a twi-hater either.

I do think it was a mistake to split the last book in to two films - it looks like anything that actually happens is in the 1st half, so even less will happen in part 2. unless they change the ending.

JamesStanley wrote:and hate robert pattinson.


Do you hate him because of twilight? or do you hate him for another reason?

If you hate him because he plaays edwardd, you should know that he hates edward, he doesn't like twilight, and aims to act as a character who hates himself.

Don't forget he was also in Harry Potter - he played Cedric first.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
User avatar
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Twilight book Review

Postby _robyn_ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:15 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:
_robyn_ wrote:Ok so the twilight movies were ok, dragged on a bit and sometimes got boring, but they were still ok and there were the occasional good scene.

So I thought of reading the book- my friend lent me a copy, I read it. It is just....well...complete rubbish. I don't even know how it got published!


I disagree. The films are boring. It was tourture to watch. the 1st was actually ok. they got worse from there. the last one I watched (I think it's the one before the one that has just been released) was soo boring, I wanted to turn it off halfway though. I only watched all of it was a present.

On the books, at least I could read them and not get bored. like the films, the first one was the best, and they went downhill from there (with a very dissappointing end to the last book), but I actually wanted to finish them.

I'm not a twi-hard, but I'm not a twi-hater either.

I do think it was a mistake to split the last book in to two films - it looks like anything that actually happens is in the 1st half, so even less will happen in part 2. unless they change the ending.

JamesStanley wrote:and hate robert pattinson.


Do you hate him because of twilight? or do you hate him for another reason?

If you hate him because he plaays edwardd, you should know that he hates edward, he doesn't like twilight, and aims to act as a character who hates himself.

Don't forget he was also in Harry Potter - he played Cedric first.


I did quite like the 1st film. The 2d film was alright. When I went to see the 3rd film I didn't really watch it because me and my friend were the only 2 in the whole cinema (school was closed) so we just had a popcorn fight during the whole film because we got really bored.....
I dont plan on going to see breaking dawn.
_robyn_
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 am
Location: I got 20% in geography- so even if I did know I bet it would be wrong.

Next

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron