The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time

Postby Creative » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Have you read The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time by mark haddon? It's about a boy who has aspergers syndrome and he solves a mystery. It's very good. :D
Creative
Forum God !

Re: The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time

Postby Steph » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes I read this when it first came out. I like it but I would say Chris doesn't resemble anyone with Aspergers Syndrome I have ever met (and this is a topic of much debate in the AS community online). I think he is a lot more like someone with severe autism-he reminds me a lot of some of the students I work with.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:16 pm

I read it in school when I was about fourteen. Loved it. I must read it again sometime. And I must agree with Steph. The main character seemed to be a cardboard cut-out rather than an actual person.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:48 pm

I agree with both of you about Christopher. I think he's more like someone with severe autism.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby wadey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm

I have read it and think it a really good book.

As for the autism/AS thing when I went on training we got told told that the only difference between those two is to do when you first start to speak and not the servirty and I know that they is a discussion going on about getting rid of diagnosing people with AS to stop confusion.
as for myself i have never been too sure about the difference between autism and AS (even though i have worked with people with AS and autism since i was 13!) and it would be intresting on how you lot would describe the different and what you think about if they stop diagnosing people with AS
wadey
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:03 pm

It is true that there are a lot of similarities between AS and autism. I would add that, apart from the age at which someone learns to speak, the other main difference is that most people with autism (around 70%) also have severe learning disabilities whilst the majority of people with Aspergers score average or above in IQ tests and academically (although not all of them) and this is what I thought the book represented. I know Chris is good at maths and is capable of reading but the way he acted in other situations was remniscient of somebody with severe learning disabilities to me. I personally had no issues with how Mark Haddon described his book as about someone with Aspergers Syndrome but I do know some people with AS who got very wound up about the whole thing and declared very bluntly that Chris had severe autism and that was that. I do think there is a lot of snobbery in the AS community-some people with AS say they would prefer AS to be classed as more similar to dyslexia than autism. For some reason, this seems to be more prevalent in Americans with Aspergers Syndrome from my personal observations-I don't see anywhere near as much of it over here.

Regarding the AS being removed from the DSM, I agree with this in so far as I believe it will gain the support from Social Services that comes with a diagnosis of autism but is dismissed as not necessary when someone has a diagnosis of AS. I do think it will put all the undiagnosed adults with AS off going for diagnosis due to the snobbery I have already mentioned. During one autism training I attended, the man giving the training said that a lot of adults welcomed the AS diagnosis as they rejected the idea of autism as they didn't self stimulate in the obvious ways that some people on the autistic spectrum do but, once AS was explained to them, agreed that this was them.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm

I hope my above post did not offend anyone-I would like to make it clear that this is not how I think but how some people in the AS community think.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby nathanw-j » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:39 pm

i thought that AS was on th high end of the autistic spectrum
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 pm

nathanw-h wrote:i thought that AS was on th high end of the autistic spectrum

Yes it is but a lot of people with AS don't like to be associated with the word autism as they see their intelligence level as too high for someone with autism. Again I'm not saying that I think like that or even that any of my friends with AS think that but it is a view I've seen expressed by a certain vocal minority in the AS community.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:25 pm

This is a bit of topic but i wondered if you'd read For the Love of Ann by James Coupland, Steph. It's the true story of an autistic girl. I'd be interested to know what you thought if you've read it.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:55 pm

I have heard of that book but have not got round to reading it yet. When I do, I will let you know what I think of it.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby nathanw-j » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Steph wrote:
nathanw-h wrote:i thought that AS was on th high end of the autistic spectrum

Yes it is but a lot of people with AS don't like to be associated with the word autism as they see their intelligence level as too high for someone with autism. Again I'm not saying that I think like that or even that any of my friends with AS think that but it is a view I've seen expressed by a certain vocal minority in the AS community.

i dont get : a lot of people with AS don't like to be associated with the word autism as they see their intelligence level as too high for someone with autism

i dont get this can you please explain this to me :?:
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Basically, in the past, autism was always seen as related to severe learning disabilities (what was rather nastily referred to as educationally subnormal-luckily society has moved on since then!) Therefore the average person with Aspergers Syndrome (although you have to bear in mind that it wasn't a diagnosis until 1994 so they would have just been viewed as highly eccentric), who may have had a university degree and be in a very high paying job would be very unlikely to see themselves as associated with autism in any way. Indeed, a lot of men with Aspergers were diagnosed when their wives noticed that they were behaving in the same way as their autistic children but in a much more subtle way and, when this diagnosis was put to them, would claim that they were not autistic at all. How could they be? They could hold business meetings and graduate from university with a First Class degree. It took a long, long time for people in the Aspergers community to accept that the condition was a form of autism because they were so used to seeing autism as something people in institutions had (again, you have to remember the historical context of how autism has been treated to understand this prejudice from people with Aspergers) Now a lot of people with Aspergers can accept their condition as being part of the autistic spectrum but there is still a tendency with some people with Aspergers to hold these views still.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby nathanw-j » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:19 am

thank you for explaning i now understand :D
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc