The Eurovision Song Contest

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

The Eurovision Song Contest

Postby Steph » Sat May 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Who else will be watching it tonight? I watch it every year. I don't take it seriously as the voting is so political but I do find it funny to watch.
Steph
Forum God !

Re: The Eurovision Song Contest

Postby galexy96 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 pm

I am currently watching it. We are awful, We will not win with Englebert. The song is also very boring with no tune. But I also enjoy watching the other countries songs, I loved the Russian grannies :mrgreen:
galexy96
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Remus » Sat May 26, 2012 10:34 pm

I watch it every year loyally. I am gutted for Englebert, personally, sure whilst it's not the most exciting song ever, I really liked it and thought it was decent compared to the usual crap we serve up and we definitely didn't deserve to be right near the bottom as there were much worse songs.

Personally, I voted for Iceland and Greece as I really adored their songs! I loved Russia as well.

How Albania got all those points is beyond me, it was by far the worst entry in my eyes, it was like three minutes of just shouting, terrible. Deserved to be at the bottom, not poor Norway! :evil:

As for the winner, Sweden, I didn't like it at first but I think it is one of those songs that you need to listen to again and let it grow on you.

We had a BBQ and had quite an enjoyable night though, very fun! I loved the Crystal Hall, it was beautiful! :D
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Sun May 27, 2012 10:35 am

I didn't wath it but I am curious to know how Jedward got on??
Creative
Forum God !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 pm

I didn't watch it - I was at my uncle's wedding reception. not that I watch it anyway, but I couldn't watch it yesterday.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun May 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Jedward did quite well-they were in the bottom half of the board but had 51 points overall. I agree about the Albanian entry, Remus-her voice actually made my cat wince and hold his ears back! Just goes to show how talent has nothing to do with it and it's all about voting for your neighbours.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Philip » Mon May 28, 2012 7:21 pm

I saw some of the Eurovision song contest, flicking backwards and forwards between the football. I did not watch the beginning as we had decided to out for a meal at one of favorite local resturants, most of the day we were putting the 2nd part of the greenhouse together in our garden (my job was to carry the empty buckets down) we had help from our neighbours.

I mainly watch it for the voting part, also for the songs. over the years there have been at least one song from each contest which I have enjoyed listing to.

The concrete has set nicely, we make sure that no pets or animals had made footprints.
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Thu May 31, 2012 4:59 pm

Steph wrote:Jedward did quite well-they were in the bottom half of the board but had 51 points overall. I agree about the Albanian entry, Remus-her voice actually made my cat wince and hold his ears back! Just goes to show how talent has nothing to do with it and it's all about voting for your neighbours.

Exactly. I usually love a good piece of music of that genre but urgh, it was not good. I'm really gutted Iceland didn't too well, that song was the winning song for me, it deserved much higher!

I really think they need to introduce some new rule or something to stop neighbour voting because it's really bad, it's not fair to the countries with good songs that then end up near the bottom.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:07 am

I agree that something should be done about neighbour voting-it's become even more blatant-the news presenters from each country will even admit it now!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby haemopath_bro » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 am

i'm exited for this years contest because there's a large possibility that yohio will represent sweeden.

who is yohio
yohio is the lead guitarist for the Swedish visual kei band seremedy who has recenly started a solo project in japan.

if he gets to represent sweeden, it would be a huge thing for gaijin VK and the popularity of VK in general.

http://youtu.be/8C49hM_2aOM this is the live version of his song heartbreak hotel

http://youtu.be/BbTAMzgC7uU his role in seremedy as the "female" (its a common thing for hetero, cisgender guys to crossdress in visual kei. in fact, until 2003 there were no actual females in the music scene)

isn't he perf
marukaite chikyuu marukaite chikyuu marukaite chikyuu boku hetalia
haemopath_bro
Mega Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 pm

It goes on longer than a thomas hardy novel.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Remus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 pm

I look forward to it every year, hopefully Bonnie Tyler can get the UK some points.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 pm

I think Bonnie Tyler will be good for us this year.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Bladen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Oh man, is it that time of year AGAIN? Really? Seriously? :?

I saw Bonnie Tyler's video of her song and while she has a fabulous voice that song does nothing to bring it out. Its a really generic ballad with no substance to it. There's nothing to give it flair, flamboyance, power and that's what you need to get far in Eurovision. That or just be plain weird.
RUSSIAN GRANNIES
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 pm

With Eurovision, ballads tend to either really good or really bad. As long as we do better than last year, I'll be happy.
Remus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc