Books that are difficult

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

Books that are difficult

Postby Remus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Has anybody else ever found they bought a book and then found it difficult to get in to for whatever reasons.

I've just bought a new book called Seraphina, a fantasy book about dragons as I read the blurb and it sounded good and I sat down last night and start to read it but I found it quite difficult to read mainly because of the vocabulary, words I have never heard before like apropos and I had to look up quite a few of them which just made me feel stupid especially as it is targeted at teenagers! Plus, I've found it was quite philosophical and religious and I found myself drifting off to sleep reading it. I'm going to keep on reading though.
Remus
Site Admin

Re: Books that are difficult

Postby wadey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

I found overheard in a dream difficult, it took me ages to read it all!. I think the reason why I found it difficult was because of the voculbary and obvisoly my dyslexia.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby kat95 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm

I have found that with books before purely because of the vocabulary used usually then I will take absolutely ages to read the book! For example when I was reading the set texts for Classics The Odyssey and the Aeneid and even the greek tragedies I found them really difficult to read. I kept on rereading lines and forgetting what was said on the previous page! This is very unusual for me though and I found a way round it was to read the book aloud. Anyway that was a bit of a rambling answer.
kat95
Mega Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Happend to me lots. Two that stand out to me are. Catcher in the rye and if nobody speaks of remarkable things. Also, Atlas shrugged.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby nathanw-j » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 pm

i dont find books difficult
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan D Lyons » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I had a problem with Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde when I tried to read it because it is written in a very different way than what I am used to and it has an intersting volcabulary. It also had tiny handwriting in an odd font too, which I also found very bizzar. I should try to read it again, it is a classic after all.
07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Reading more of Seraphina, the next two chapters really improved actually and I found myself enjoying it. I think it might have just been first chapter nerves or something.

Dan D Lyons wrote:I had a problem with Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde when I tried to read it because it is written in a very different way than what I am used to and it has an intersting volcabulary. It also had tiny handwriting in an odd font too, which I also found very bizzar. I should try to read it again, it is a classic after all.

I love that book, one of my favourites! :D
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Rodge1991 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:56 pm

A few years ago I tried to read Northern Lights. The author was using made up stuff and didn't explain it very well. I hardly ever give up on a book but this one was too confusing.......
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 am

Rodge1991 wrote:A few years ago I tried to read Northern Lights. The author was using made up stuff and didn't explain it very well. I hardly ever give up on a book but this one was too confusing.......

Ah, I love that series although I have to admit I did find it confusing at first. Have you seen the film? That might help you understand it better. :)
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Rodge1991 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:12 pm

I actually haven't seen the film because I didn't like the book :lol: but I will give it a go and see if it makes it easier to understand the book
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Postby Paddington » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Remus wrote:Has anybody else ever found they bought a book and then found it difficult to get in to for whatever reasons.

I've just bought a new book called Seraphina, a fantasy book about dragons as I read the blurb and it sounded good and I sat down last night and start to read it but I found it quite difficult to read mainly because of the vocabulary, words I have never heard before like apropos and I had to look up quite a few of them which just made me feel stupid especially as it is targeted at teenagers! Plus, I've found it was quite philosophical and religious and I found myself drifting off to sleep reading it. I'm going to keep on reading though.

You cant NOT like seraphina- one of my favourite books of all time I cant wait for its sequel( dracomachia) to come out in February 2014. The book I am struggling with at the moment is Shakespeares hamlet I read the tempest with ease and really enjoyed it but then everyone made a fuss about hamlet and so I decided to start reading it is a bit boring but maybe 14 year olds arnt supposed to read it?
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Paddington wrote:
Remus wrote:Has anybody else ever found they bought a book and then found it difficult to get in to for whatever reasons.

You cant NOT like seraphina- one of my favourite books of all time I cant wait for its sequel( dracomachia) to come out in February 2014. The book I am struggling with at the moment is Shakespeares hamlet I read the tempest with ease and really enjoyed it but then everyone made a fuss about hamlet and so I decided to start reading it is a bit boring but maybe 14 year olds arnt supposed to read it?

I finished Seraphina and really enjoyed reading it! :) I just think the first two chapters were a bit rocky and it took awhile for me to get to grips with it. I love Seraphina and Kiggs! :D Can't wait for the next book.

With Shakespeare, I think it really depends on the play. I loved Romeo and Juliet but I hated Macbeth, I found it so dull.
Remus
Site Admin

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc