Book Covers

Chat here about your favourite music, books, films, TV programmes etc.

Book Covers

Postby Remus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I know people say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but when it comes to actual books, I'm really bad for doing this. Anyone else the same?

A nice, attractive cover is the first thing that catches my eye although naturally, I won't buy it if I read the blurb and it's boring. I've just bought Divergent which apparently the next Hunger Games but I bought the US cover because I thought ours, the UK cover was really dull in comparison. Plus with series, I have to have matching covers, I can't have mismatching covers, it's a bit of a bug for me.
Remus
Site Admin

Re: Book Covers

Postby Paddington » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:20 pm

admittedly I do this quite a lot if I decide to treat myself to a new book the first thing I will look at is the cover art take for instance the throne of glass series. The cover art is very eye catching and made me want to see what was inside. But often the cover of a book is a representation of what is inside and so I judge the book ( by extent) on its contents. a romance novel is hardly likely to have a giant warship on its cover is it?

But if not the book cover what are we supposed to judge the book on exactly? as much as I would like to I am not going to spend all day reading each book blurb in the shop. I just don't have time. Books are judged by their covers but not unfairly as the saying may seem. The author who has a large input into the design is going to aim it at people for whatever genre the book is in and so people who like that genre will generally pick it up. but yes I almoast always judge a book by its cover. The throne of glass uk cover was so popular that they had to change the us cover to a similar one.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Return to Movie, music, books, theatre etc