Switch to full style
Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)
Post a reply

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:40 am

I also keep a planner pad (those pads of a4 ish paper that have a calendar and grafetti space on them) on my pc desk so I can write down thiings that maybe important, I also have a paper day to day planner... what I really could do with is a PDA but I cant aford one :(

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:03 pm

I have a copy of my timetable of lessons on my wall in my bedroom, so i can read it as i get ready, 1 on a small 'record card' in my pencil case, so that i can look at it while i'm in uni (as i've often forgot my timetable by then), i also have it written in my diary, and its on the pc too. So i generally find that i always have something which tells me what time and where my lessons are supposed to be. I have a paper tray or something like that i think its called anyway, in my room, and as i get problem sheets on a4 pieces of paper, i write the deadline on the top, put them in plastic wallets and put them in the tray. with the one that has to be handed in soonest at the top. then as i do the work i take it out of the tray, then put the work in the plastic wallet when i'm done, then in my bag. It keeps me knowing what hwk i have. and finished hwk is in my bag. so i dont forget to take it.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:46 pm

Here are my ideas!

. Make a diary, putting dates,telephone numbers,homework dates
and important times.

. Put a board and pins in your room,pinning up tasks,and homeworks.

. Put a 'school' and /or 'home' timetable on your board,writing in bedtimes,dinners and daily routines.

. Pack your bag the night before,using a checklist to tick it off as you put it in your bag.

.Always follow a strict routine,so that you don't get mixed up or organised.

.In your bag,always keep essentials for school in case you need them.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:44 pm

I need tips on tidying my room, i always end up finding something and being distracted by it, my room hasn't been spotless for over a year now

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi, Cookie Monster here are some brilliant ideas for keeping your room extra clean.

. Buy a couple of plastic boxes with lids (you can buy them quite cheaply)
. Get some sticky labels
. Put different things into your boxes such as; school stuff,home stuff,and every essentials.
.Label the boxes in clear,large writing so your remember what boxes are which.

Keep the boxes under your bed or some places where people wont trip over them!

Stuff that you need often,put in a small box in a drawer that you can easily find.

Each 6 months have a large clear-out to see if you need anything thrown out.Take to a charity shop or throw away.

As for clearing up those clothes and toys quickly,clear up and have a break so that you don't get to tired and fed up and get someone to help if you find it difficult.

Remember keep work and school things seperate to subject and home and leisure things in type.Keep a small bin in your room so that you don't leave rubbish lying for days on end.

Hoover and dust your room weekly to keep the dirt at bay.If your in your room most of the day I recommend you hoover and dust daily.

Once the tiding up is done,leave it like that.Put it back once you have used it and I hope these methods are as good for you as they have been for me over the years.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 am

Dear all,

As part of my PhD I did a day course on work and time management. Here is a strategy that has been useful to me.

At the start of each working day make a list of all the appointments you have, and make a list of every task you currently have to do with it's deadline, even if it is not urgent.

The next step is to rank every task you have to do. The ranking system you use is as follows:

(1) Urgent and Important
(2) Urgent and Unimportant
(3) Not Urgent and Important
(4) Not Urgent and Unimportant

Save this list with the rankings on your computer or put it in a prominent place on your desk or behind your desk.

During the day do all tasks ranked (1) first, then do tasks ranked (2), then do tasks ranked (3), then do tasks ranked (4). When you complete a task score it out.

If during the day you are given new work to do, or remember work that you have forgotten about, add it to the list with it's deadline and rank it using the scheme above.

The next day make a list of appointments for that day. Then use the previous days list of things to do to make a new list of things to do and the deadline for completion. Rank all your tasks again as some may have changed ranking over night, for example a task that was not urgent yesterday may now be urgent. Then follow the same strategy. Start of by doing tasks ranked (1), then (2), then (3), then (4).

If you can keep to this strategy, tasks will not be forgotten about and there is a far better chance that tasks will be completed on time.

-----

A second strategy I find useful is if I am given a deadline for an important piece of work, I set myself a deadline a few days before the official daedline, and work to my earlier deadline. In this way if things go wrong it is not the end of the world.

-----

I hope this is helpful.

Gordon

Memory

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:26 pm

My short term memory is terrible i can forget where something is 2 seconds after i put it down. Even worse than that is i have things in my hands and forget they are there. I have to use the tip from earlier because i lose any notepads i have or forget to look in them so writing on my hands is the only option for me

anyone got any tips that dont involve me plastering myself in ink lol

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:02 am

Take notecards and write what you have to do on each of them. Color code them according to when you have to get them done. Write the rewards for getting each thing done on the back. Then, tape them to your desk or wall or whatever so you'll be reminded of them until you get everything done. :) It worked for me.
Post a reply