comunication

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby kitty_cute » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:31 pm

Thank you, David. I have several books on Body Lanuage.
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby meme » Thu May 18, 2006 5:50 pm

Vez wrote:Keep a balance with eye contact - not too much and not too little. I used to over compenstate and almost glare at people. Then one of my teachers said I was creeping him out! It's ok too look away sometimes, also it's easier to take in new information and answer questions if you aren't looking at something distracting like a human face.

I do this too, I either use too much (and it freaks fellow pupils at school out) or I use too little (and I end up having teachersshout at me cos they think I'm not paying attention). I find it really difficult to get a good balance and Im always worrying about it
meme
Advanced Member

Postby Bladen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:19 pm

my main problems are getting people to understand what I mean and simplifying things. I have alot of complicated words in vocabulary by instinct now. Let them know you're trying to say something, wait for a good time to start talking, don't go on talking too much.

Eye contact is my enemy....
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:45 am

Ooh, I hate eye contact too, but it's better if you do it. You get more positive results.

Watch some tv shows--dramas and sit coms work best. Watch the body language people use when they are angry, scared, happy, etc. Make note and then try to do that to convey how you feel. Notice how many times people use eye contact and how much they talk when conversing before letting other people talk.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:14 am

ths is tips that the speech lange theripis gave me for answering questions.

*self questioning - this is about questioing yourself about whether you understand the question or not. and about what the question is asking and what it means. if you dont understand then ask.

*anticipate errors - i cant remmeber what this is about.

*give enough information - this is about giviing enough information.

*check that quesions and anserws match and give as little information as possible. - this is about makeing sure that your answer answers the question.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby druchi » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:05 pm

ill need to keep these in mind wow i found them usefull :) thanks
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:09 am

In class sometimes I count how many times I've talked just to make sure that I give someone else a chance to speak. I can't always pick up on non-verbal cues, so I have a hard time knowing when to talk and when to be quiet. I usually just try to guess. Does anyone have any suggestions for this sort of thing? I apologize if you have already posted them and I just missed reading them.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips