Switch to full style
Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)
Post a reply

wood work!

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:21 pm

i had a wood work lesson today, it was very upseting, though i have wood work every wensday today was wors.

i hate the texture of wood unles it is very smoth. and i hate sand paper. though the wood work teacher was very understanding today im not shure hi knows im dyspraxic, and im not shore he knows what dyspraxia is.
normaly i can just about stand sanding. but today i was having a bad day. and someone was filleing, and the noise it makes is unbearible. i whent to a coner of the clasroom and sat down with my hands over my ears, the noise was making me want to cry run away and hudel up in a ball and sway.

the teacher was undrstandig, but i think he got the the impresion that i had my peeried :oops: . he asked if i wanted to go and read in the libery, thogh i would realy have liked to, the idia of dooing somthing that normaly dosent hapen scared me.

i was all panicy, and i had no idia how to cope with the situation. dose anyone have any advise?

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:34 pm

I don't think woodwork is a good idea for a student with your kind of difficulties, Amy. I think you and your parents should write a letter to the school asking for you to be excused. Some dyspraxic students - the ones without sensory integrative dysfunction - are able to cope with woodwork, providing they don't have to manipulate dangerous machinery. Students who are oversensitive to noise and touch can't survive in that kind of environment, especially as the panic triggered by SID can make it harder to co-ordinate your movements, putting you at risk. Some lessons can be modified to suit the pupil with certain dyspraxic problems - such as PE. (Yes, folks, in the right conditions PE is possible!) Woodwork is not one of those lessons. It's too dangerous.

If you were to go to the library every woodwork lesson, it would soon stop feeling strange. * Virtual hugs * In your letter, you and your parents need to explain about your sensory problems (describe how these affect you in the woodwork class), your memory weaknesses (describe how these hinder your ability to follow instructions), and your co-ordination difficulties. This should make it clear to the school that it isn't sensible to have you in the woodwork room on grounds of health and safety.

I hope you're feeling better now.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:20 pm

Woodwork?! I was terrified of the sanding machine, the vice, the drilling machine - basically anything that is a machine and moves.
My consecutive acrylic plastic snapping record is three.
My advice - get out of there!

Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:28 pm

Parnassus is right, infact I couldn't agree more, I picked Product Design for GCSE (Fancy words for wood work) and I couldn't regret it more. This is probbably a useless suggestion, but if you do do woodwork again, try this; get a big peice of sand paper, some scrap wood (Big enough to leave a handle, but thin enough for the sand paper to wrap round) then get a nail and hammer. I don't mean the big screws, just a small nail, they should have tons of them in their cupboards or where ever they keep their tools. Now, wrap the sand paper around the wood, move the nail to a positionwhere it hits both sides of sand paper and the scrap peice of wood. Nail it in, carefully, but don't nail it in too far (It can easily go through) once its in enough to keep the sand paper in place, hammer the nail sideways, so it lays against the wood. then you have a handle to use, like a hammer with sanding paper, it works far better than normal sanding paper and you don't have to touch the sand paper itself.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:28 pm

I cant send a leter, because iv been dooing wood work for nearly three years now, and dowing stuf diferently form other people makes me nervos(when i first got my lap top i nearly had a panic atak when it came to using it) i some times am ok dooing wood work, but at the moment im making a choping bord, wich involvels lots of sandin. also i dont think my mum would be wiling to send a leter, she would probably say that i never complained befor i got diognosed with dyspraxia, and she would say that i only have mield dyspraxia. my mum is very soportiv, she insisted that i got a lap to even thogh the school was completle aganst it, but she dosent undrestand that some noises made me nervos and upset, because i never mentioned it because ever since i was litle iv been triing to fit in, i invented a mountian of lies to discise and explane my dificultys.

in most of the wood work lesons people arnt using the fiele, so it dosent make the unbearible nois. i dont think writing a leter to the school is an option. i will have to bear it, thogh i hope the wood work teacher is as under standing next week.

:0

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:50 pm

Woodwork is not one of those lessons. It's too dangerous

I know, I usually had my ta to operate the machines, and i hate sandpaper, to she would do it on the sander for me. I also had a slighltly modified saw/wood holder thing.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:25 pm

You are very lucky to have such an understanding school, Ruby. If all schools were like that, we wouldn't see half the low self-esteem and the doubt and the unhappiness that so often appear on this website. I pray that all schools learn to be like yours.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Amy, if getting out of woodwork is not a possibility, here are some thins that may help.

1) Use sandpaper rather than a sanding machine. This will take longer and be less effective, BUT at least you get to keep your fingers!

2) Wear earplugs. You will need to take them out while the teacher is giving instructions, but you can wrear them the rest of the time.

3) Get your teacher to write down important safety instructions for you, so you don't forget them.

Good luck.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:09 pm

As you can't bear the feel of sandpaper, you could try wearing a pair of thin cotton gloves (they mustn't be too thick or they'll make you clumsier). This will make it easier to hold the sandpaper.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:15 pm

lukaly we dont use any machins, the sanding mashin is for the teachers use only.

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:44 am

I used to have big problems in woodwork but my teacher in first year was really great he used to see me struggling and he would stop the class to show how to do something like sanding or other and use my project as an example and voila mine was nearly finished (perfectly) no one in the class even noticed that the teacher had actually done most of mine. I dropped tech and Home economics for obvious reasons in third year. 8)

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:45 pm

I don't have problems with it but I seriously suck at it, just get your mother to write to the school about it.

sabnding

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:50 pm

You are very lucky to have such an understanding school, Ruby. If all schools were like that, we wouldn't see half the low self-esteem and the doubt and the unhappiness that so often appear on this website. I pray that all schools learn to be like yours.

I know...but it does has it's moments!

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:17 pm

had another wood work lesson today. the teacher said he was going to talk to my class teacher and ask if i could mis wood work, i dident even have to ask.
i feel a bit guilty. iv been dooing wood work for nearly three years now, and the last 2 lessons were the worst. bifor i knew what dyspraxia was i asumed that every one got pain from sounds and textures. i used to touch textures i hated to try and stop the pain, it never got any bete. i think im geting more sensative.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Dyspraxia doesn't get worse, Amy. I think now that you are aware that other people don't suffer from this pain you have decided that you don't want to put up with it unnecessarily for a minute longer. And I think you're right. Sometimes suffering is good for us, but it is ridiculous to go through it needlessly.
Post a reply