Maths!? oh no

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Maths?

NO!
4%
I love maths
22%
it's not that bad.
25%
KILL IT, kill it, kill it, kill it, KILL IT!!!!!!!!
49%

Total votes : 79

Postby Lucy_Rush » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm

I'm doing a degree in maths. hence i like maths. it just makes sense to me. things are right or wrong. theres methods to work things out. and best of all, less essays. Although i often get to the end of a problem wondering why i come to the conclusion that the answer is 'impossible', only to find that i copied the question out wrong in the first place. doh.

Although on the other hand, even though i'm half way through a maths degree i still cant do trigonometry or long division! My brain just refuses to understand it completely. I've managed so far though, so it can't be that crucial a thing to understand i hope!
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Bladen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:03 pm

I was always told my ways of working things out were too time consuming and hard to figure out. But I liked my ways of working things out much better than what i was taught, what i was taught was what I had to use in the exam. I failed it so I have the right to say "owned" to my teacher. My friend, good friend, Matthew (also dyspraxic) came from a big school where he was aiming for an A*, he was working at that level no problem but when he came he wasn't doing well, he wasn't getting on well with the teacher, deja vu. I told him "The exact same thing happened to me. The same techniques have been forced down our throats and we have no choice but to use them to rid them." He then replied "Exactly but in my opinion, that is a very crap way of teaching." He says if I had a better teacher I could of been much better but his end result was a B 2 grades below what he was aiming for. Same with me. I was never brilliant at GCSE maths but I can do basic key skill maths very well.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:44 pm

Are you going to re-take maths, Bladen?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Bladen » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:40 pm

I got no choice, if I'm going to get a job in the archaeology department then I got to. When? I don't know, maybes next year. Hope I get a good teacher.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:18 pm

I hate math. I really don't want to take it next year, but I think I will have to because I think it is a requirement at my school.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:10 pm

I have a friend who is doing a Maths degree. Maybe he could help some of you.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Bladen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:58 am

If he's good at explaining things. I wont bother with it until I'm resitting the course.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:21 pm

It's not that bad,although I do prefer other subjects.Why not talk to your

teacher if your having a problem. If your teacher is understanding they

will help you in the best way possible.After moving up to secondary

school my confidence in maths has improved.I put not to bad you could

do a lot worse!
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:50 pm

After some reading and talking with the lecturers at college I've decided that I'm not going to bother resitting maths now, I don't care if it's essential for my future I would rather pursue other interests next year than waste my time doing something I hate. I've been told with the current courses I'm taking I wont need a maths qualification at all. Out of an entire class of 12 only one person passed Maths in my year though.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Chinagirl » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:37 pm

i hate maths. KILL IT!!!!! i cant do anything to do with numbers :!: :evil: :evil:
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:11 pm

Bladen, if you decide to take maths the year after next I will put you in touch with the friend who helped me to pass my own GCSE. His methods aren't typical, but he's extremely good at explaining things.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby bpcooper » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:47 pm

i like maths but i hate the geometry part of it as i can't use a compass
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Charmbracelets » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:12 pm

I voted "kill it!" I could not stand Maths at school-my ceiling of ability was reached when I was 13 or so it seemed-I had to retake my Maths GCSE 3 times unti I got the C I needed to get into my university-I was so relieved when I finally got my C that I was crying!My short term memory is actually not that bad for a dyspraxic person and I never had any problems with basic maths or timetables-anything beyond that and I was absolutely lost!
Charmbracelets

Postby Lawzy » Wed May 09, 2007 7:18 pm

a maths sum to me is like double dutch i just dont get it.
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:30 pm

I'm alright at maths but find somethings really confusing
Brian
Splendiferous Member

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips