Switch to full style
Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)
Post a reply

job hunting

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:33 pm

i'm currently on the job lookout. i've come to the conclusion i should get one but i'm slightly nervous at the prospect of an interview. from what i've been told, they like to give you quickfire questions and you lose points if you don't answer them immediately. i was wondering if any1 has any tips. thanks

Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:05 pm

I think it may depend heavily on the job. I've had a part-time job for several years, but I never had a 'proper' interview (they just asked me to stay on after I did some work experience) so I can't give you any tips on that. But from the people I work with, I severely doubt that my boss would be launching quick fire questions at people. I work in quite a small company - you might have more luck somewhere like that than a bigger one where the interview process is likely to be more systemised. I hope maybe a small bit of that rambling might be some use to you :)

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:06 pm

im currently job hunting as well and i have now had 2 interviews and i didnt get the jobs so i have now given up because i think the problem is with me is im not very confident and im shy and i find it hard to understand instruction and other things

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 am

I have always found interviews hell as I have a slight stutter and when I feel under pressure it is a lot more obvious, I always disclose all my conditions on appliciation forms and always tick the I have a disability box, as that way at least the employers can't say you haven't told them. In covering letters I always mention things as well, that way they are a little prepared. No tips as such from me other than GOOD LUCK, and don't give up, there is the right job out there for everyone.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:52 am

I find job hunting difficult as well. I perform poorly in interviews because I can't give eye contact to strangers and I have a tendency to fiddle with my hands when I get nervous too. The last time I went for a job, my friend helped prepare me for it before but the questions they asked she hadn't covered and my mind was just one big blank! They asked me to tell them some of my weaknesses-now, anyone who has ever met me for longer than 10 minutes will tell you that my self esteem really isn't good at all and I can reel off at least 2 sides of A4 with my weaknesses, both real and perceived, but because I wasn't expecting them to ask that question, I froze and couldn't answer which made me appear arrogant! I still don't have and never have had a paid job and, to be honest, the prospect of being jobless after I graduate is terrifying!

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:23 pm

sorry but I dont (want to be a blacksmith but I have no idea how I'm going to cope with the work at college)
Post a reply