Learning to drive?

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Learning to drive?

Postby November Rain » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:14 am

Anyone else learning to drive atm? I've been doing so since July and although I am gradually making progress (more so than I thought I would), I'm finding it quite hard to get the hang of it all. I'm often making stupid mistakes or not fully concentrating or confusing my left with my right when turning. I think it's still gonna be a while yet before I get my licence so I just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me or how long it took you to learn to drive? Feel free to share any other driving stories.
November Rain

Postby parnassus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:18 am

I am not allowed to learn to drive myself, but there are quite a few people on here who are taking lessons at the moment. Most of them have been learning for much longer than is normal. Keep trying - you will get there eventually.

Did you have a special assessment to find out your main problems? These can be pretty helpful for disabled drivers, as they allow you to find out about the best adaptations for your car - extra mirrors, raised steering wheels, etc.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby November Rain » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:31 am

parnassus wrote:I am not allowed to learn to drive myself, but there are quite a few people on here who are taking lessons at the moment. Most of them have been learning for much longer than is normal. Keep trying - you will get there eventually.

Given how my family have paid for most of my lessons I think I'm more determined than I would be if I'd paid for them all myself. I don't want to call it quits if I fail my driving test a couple of times because I'd just feel as if I'd wasted their money, which would pain me more than wasting my own money. On the other hand, I'm afraid of costing us a bomb due to taking forever to learn.

Did you have a special assessment to find out your main problems? These can be pretty helpful for disabled drivers, as they allow you to find out about the best adaptations for your car - extra mirrors, raised steering wheels, etc.

No, I'll have to look into that. Thankyou.
November Rain

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:39 am

My best friend is severely dyspraxic, she had lesson after lesson, took 6 tests and failed them all, then her dad said 'why don't you learn in a automatic car' she had a few lessons took a test and passed first time. She says that automatic cars are so much better to learn to drive with.

When I go to the states in December my friend Becky is detmined to try teach me the basics, - watch this space - Iv warned her she is crazy to think it
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Something that miht help with the left/right confusion problems is to have a wristband or something on onehand so you know which is which.

You might also find it easier to learn to drive in an automatic car.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Rosie-posie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:59 pm

Im on my 6th lesson and she says im doing ok its just my steering she says i wander especially if im trying to steer and change gear at the same time its better than i thought it would be though
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:20 am

25th lesson, having to start thinking for myself and make several mistakes, like only glancing at mirrors instead of observing and timing for routines of stopping, starting and turning.

I didn't get the assessment, I was told I'm supposed to ask the BMF or something if I'm fit to learn to drive due to disability. I knew nothing about it and got my provisional licence fine though. Must have been bollocks.

I'm learning in a manual car.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:47 pm

I started learning in a place that isn't on a road earlier this year so I won't kill anyone when I start learning on the road in february. My instructer says I'm doing suprisingly well.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Syrons » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 pm

I can stir the car okish, i could go fast easily without realizing and looking at how fast i was going! i drive fine in country roads where i do not have to slow down to much.

I cannot drive for life know when i have to slow down.

My mind got very bored and thinking too much as usual.

If i drive and learn, i think i could be a very good driver, as things i do will just be natural. Like people who use a computer just as much as me, still have to look at the keyboard and think which button they hitting. With me its just automatic, I don't think about it and i am very fast, downside i cannot spell very well or think very well but if i didn't have that i do not know how slow i would be.

If i drive it will take me a year no doubt but i am heavy on myself.

The only worry i do have is i get tired a lot in the afternoon, i can't see how my brain would drive me home, when i cannot talk very much and jutst want to be leave alone and not think about anything set for sleep.

My instructor used to ring my mum, as he knew my mum and my brother. He be like "what is thinking inside that head of his" "he thinks too much" "He concentrates to much on the road, that he not being aware of what he doing".

I will drive a automatic probably, as i got no enjoyment out of Manuel. I would like to drive a car, which has got gears on the steering wheel. I hated putting my hand off the steering wheel all the time.

I did enjoy driving when it come to country roads, as i could go a bit faster. I hated driving in the town.

I will try to learn again when i am either 19 or 20. I have matured a lot since the last time i learn. I was just a kid behind the wheel, now i feel maturer to worry about other things.
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby Keeko » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:45 pm

i've been learning to drive since July and i think i picked it up quite easily considering. the only problem i have is i tend to lose concentration of the road after a while. or i am so determined to remember to use my mirrors that i forget other things.

all my friends passed after around 20 - 30 lessons but i have had around 30 lessons now and still haven't passed. i haven't even done my theory because i am dreading that bit.

my instructor doesn't seem too worried though, she just says if i kept both hands on the wheel and didn't speed i would be fine.

to other people learning to drive in a manual car do your instructors know you dyspraxic? if they do, how did you tell them? and if they didn't know what it was, how did you explain it?

i was just wondering because i mentioned it to my instructor and she didn't know what it was and then i couldn't explain it.
Keeko
Super Poster

Postby Rosie-posie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:30 pm

I havent told mine i dont know whether i should..
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Henri » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:34 pm

I started to learn to drive, around a year ago. I had around 30 lessons in total, some of which went well, others miserably. By the end, it was unbearable; I wasn't a proficient driver, and had the most intolerant, bigoted instructor you could find.

I cut off contact with this instructor, and I'm not too positive over finding another. Seems like a real waste, both of money and time.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby C » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:17 pm

I have been learning to drive for just over two years now. I learnt in a manual car for just under two years. Then I went for an assessment at an assessment centre. I was really concerned that it just wasn't safe for me to drive. They reccommended an automatic car and the man who assessed me said he'd take me on and give me driving lessons. the improvement is massive... I find so much more confident and more comfortable and it's only been a few months.

My driving instructor is taking me on really complicated routes and roundabouts etc. I do worry because sometimes I'm still making quite dangerous mistakes. I panic and just get overloaded with information. My instructor is brilliant (although my previous one was also very patient considering he'd had hardly any experience of dyspraxia before) and says he thinks he can get me to test standard. I trust him (he has had to tell people he doesn't think they can drive before and he has taught someone with more severe dyspraxia than me) but I still worry sometimes...
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:37 pm

I'll learn to drive an automatic when I'm old enough. I don't want to end up like my uncle. He's 43 and still can't drive. I feel sorry for his wife.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

:)

Postby k9ruby » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:56 pm

I'm unsure whats going to happen to me.

My parents and my OT seem pretty convinced that I will not be able to drive as I get overloaded if I try and do 2 or more things at the same time, plus my reactions are very poor. My sense of direction isn't the best either.

me personally? I would like to have a go at least. If I can't, I can't and I will accept it. :)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips