Tips on how not to get distracted so much

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Tips on how not to get distracted so much

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:05 pm

I have decided to give some tips and ask for some tips on how to not get distracted. I often get off on a tangent doing something and can't stop. Then, I don't get to my goals.

Here are some tips I am using to try and avoid this problem:

1. Keep a more cleanly workspace so my eyes won't wander to the clutter on my desk.

2. Use a timer and keep using my assignment notebook to help me with what I want to do that day and how much time to take to do it.

3. Making rewards for getting each thing done.

4. I have a sticker chart for how many times I get something done each week and then I get a reward for how many stickers I get.

5. Thinking positive.

6. Always trying to focus on what I'm supposed to do that moment so I won't be overwhelmed.

7. Taking short breaks throughout the day so I won't feel compelled to be distracted when I'm working. I can be distracted on my breaks.

If you have any more tips, please post them!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:29 pm

8. Avoid junk food, especially if it's high in sugar. Eat lots of foods that release energy slowly, like beans, lentils, turnips, parsnips, brown bread, potatoes, brown rice, wholemeal pasta and porridge.

9. Wear earplugs.

10. If you're woking on a computer, unplug the internet cable (unless yuou're doing internet reseach.) Then you won't be tempted to look at other stuff.

11. If you have a mobile phone, turn it off.

12. Have a set of goals before you start.

13. Move around during your breaks. Don't just sit still doing nothing.

14. If yu are reading a long, difficult book, look at the contents and any summaries first. If you have an overview of the main concepts you are less likely to feel "lost" in the text.

15. Sit in a comfortable chair. Make sure it is not too high, so you don't have to hunch over your desk and strain your back.

16. Make a list of all the books, worksheets and equipment you will need before you start and make sure you have them. Then you won't be distracted by having to look for things while you study.

17. Don't eat while you're studying. If you're hungry, have a snack in your breaks.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:24 pm

These are good ideas, thanks! :)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hazza » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:41 pm

if the distractions are media, turn any noise or movement off and concentrate on the task in hand
David Tennants leaving in 2010! :o:o
Hazza
Advanced Member

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips