Switch to full style
Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)
Post a reply

Household chores

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I can't often seem to find the motivation for household chores! I will often think of some reason why I can't do them and put them off until the last minute! Is anyone else the same?

Re: Household chores

Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Yep =D the computer always looks much more appealing than a mop or a pile of laundry to put away lol

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:13 pm

I just put some washing on and I really struggled to open the new packet of washing powder! Why do they make things so difficult to open?

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm not good at remembering to do my chores, or clean my room. At the moment I can barely see my carpet and I just keep forgetting to do it.

I need a maid ^_^;

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:58 pm

My mother often asks me to vacuum-clean the house but I hate it because it's so noisy and I bump into everything.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:45 pm

My mum always says I'm really lazy when it comes to household chores!

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 am

I'm cleaning my room today. It hasn't been dusted for over a month!

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:58 am

I really need to clean my room, I just can't make myself start >.<

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:41 pm

I have now cleaned my room! :D If I did it more often then it wouldn't take me so long.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 pm

I have a great motivation tip.

Theres nothing like a big pile of homework to make tidying your room seem like a briliant idea. The trick is to find something you hate more, and convince yourself those are the only two options.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:55 am

:D I know what you mean...

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:17 am

Something that helps me is to break each task down into smaller components. If I said to myself, "I need to clean my room," I would panic, as that is a very big job and there are so many aspects of it that I struggle with. Instead, I think of it in stages:

1.) I need to put all my books on the bookshelves.
2.) I to put my bedding in the washing machine.
3.) I need to put my dirty clothes in the laundry basket.
4.) I need to put clean bedding on my bed.
5.) I need to hang up my clean clothes.
6.) I need to put all my paperwork into the correct box files.
7.) I need to hoover the carpet.

I take breaks in between each stage (but never during stages - that's a fine way to distract yourself and prevent yourself from getting anything done) and I identify beforehand where I'm going to need help. Putting my quilt cover on and hanging up/folding clothes are difficult, so I usually ask somebody to do these things with me. I also start with the easiest tasks and progress to the most difficult, as once I have done a few easy ones I'm feeling more confident and cheerful.
Post a reply