How can i cope with a degree?

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

How can i cope with a degree?

Postby Lulujeanne » Sun May 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Hello all :lol: Newbie here!

i will be starting a nursing degree in march 2011. I have just finished an Access to Nursing course, which does what it says on the tin!

I have only just been diagnosed with dyspraxia, so i am still learning about the condition.

I know that i mainly suffer with poor concentration, poor structure and organisational skills (amongst a range of things!)

I have really struggled for this past year, particulary with my organisational skills. I find that i leave my assignments til the last mintue, as i find it really hard to actually sit myself down and concentrate on the work. I do own a pair of tinted glasses as i have found out i have a light sensory problem, however my concentration levels are still bad.

I'm in a dilemma.. I don't have enough space to home to have a desk in a room on my own. I usually do my essays on the couch next to boyfriend/tv which distracts me. However i don't have anywhere else i can work.

Reliasticly i need a study room for myself to have a desk etc with no distractions. Should i move into expensive halls, with noisy surroundings and al night parties. Or should i look into getting a bigger place, which will mean i will have to travel for an hour each day and will miss out on any student life (although thats distracting in itself). Anyone been to university or been in my shoes as regards to studying?

Any suggesstions would be appreciated!

Lulu :twisted:
Lulujeanne

Re: How can i cope with a degree?

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon May 10, 2010 11:12 am

WOrk in the library at Uni. That will be quiet and giv eyou space to concentrate.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Lulujeanne » Mon May 10, 2010 6:49 pm

That is a good idea actually. i could stay on late and study. Are you at university? How do you cope with the workload, organisational skills etc :)
Lulujeanne

Postby Steph » Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 pm

I am a university graduate. I actually was very fortunate in not struggling with the academic side of university at all. I found the deadlines for completed work assignments were very close together (there were often three or four due in for the last week of term), but I'm the type of person who does an assignment as soon as it is given to me and they tended to be given to me nicely spaced out so I could cope with that. As you struggle with concentrating on the work, I would suggest giving yourself incentives, eg, "Once I have written these two paragraphs, I can watch a DVD". Also unplug the Internet connection, TV etc if you do choose to work at home so that you aren't tempted by them and thus distracted from your work. I never used the library at university but that's because, weirdly, I can't concentrate if I'm not at home. It must be a comfort thing or something. Most people used the library and found it very conducive to getting work done so that might be the best option for you, particularly as you don't have room for a study area at home. As for accommodation, I would suggest halls. I know they are expensive but, if you're anything like me, commuting into uni for an hour will leave you too tired and stressed to take in the information in your lectures/seminars. It is worth remembering that most uni accommodation request forms have an option for "quiet halls preferred" although it may not be that exact phrase. Not every student is caught up with the whole binge drinking, rowdy partying scene. In my third year at university, I stayed in a halls of residence that was 50% freshers and 50% third and fourth year students. If your university has a similar residence, I would recommend looking into that as third and fourth year students tend to be a lot less into partying and more into concentrating on getting their degree!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Laura04 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:40 am

I have literally finished my second year of university today. I was only diagnosed with dyspraxia on monday but it was something that was picked up on back in February.
I found that i did struggle with university but if you have been diagnosed before you go then there is alot of help that is abailable to you. Every university has a student support centre and in this facility there will be a place for disabled students. Universities can help you with software programmes and extra tuition if you tell them you are dyspraxic and take along a copy of your diagnosis.
I find that i leave assignments to the very last minute, however this is not your normal lazy student attitude i spend weeks after getting the assignment reading over my notes and making new notes trying to get a comprehensive draft together this takes me so long because i am so easily distracted and i struggle to fit things together properly. The good thing is however, i have found that with sheer determination and persistence i am able to complete the work before the deadline.
I am currently doing a law degree and if my exams went well this week and last week i will be entering my third year in september. I found that i couldnt cope in my universities library unless i was on the silent floor and even then i got distracted by the rustling of pages. also the bright lights actually drove me mad i could not be in there for longer than 10mins without wanting to physically poke my eyes out :(
like i said universities offer alot of help and support so contact your university to start arranging this so it is all in place for when you arrive :)
Laura04

Postby Lawzy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:52 pm

I graduated last year and I coped very well at uni although I couldn't always concentrate in lessons if someone was talking it would distract me. Luckily we had an intranet where lecturers would put their lesson notes on so I could double check if I had missed something from my own notes. I used to write everything down just in case because my memory is awful.

Someone suggested on another post that a dictaphone might be a good idea to record lessons providing you are around people that do not talk in lectures NEVER sit at the back that's where people tend to talk and you'll lose concentration.

Also once you've made friends don't be afraid to check their notes also because they might have written something down you've missed.

The library suggestion is a very good idea, it's always quiet and if you do have problems concentrating again you could take in some music to listen to, to drown out any talking. This used to always help me.

If you wanna ask me anything feel free to message me :).
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby missteacup » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Hello!

I've just finished my degree, and you're already ahead of where I was, because I only found out I had Dyspraxia in my second year of it! However, I'm still learning a lot about the condition myself, so I know what you mean.

I'm not sure whether I have a concentration problem - sometimes I can work for hours without realising it, sometimes I can't sit still for ten minutes! - but I definitely have problems with structure and organisation. Having looked back on my university career, I've found that I could rely on my brain to be working things out even when I didn't feel I was. In other words, provided I knew enough about a subject, I'd find ways of fitting things together, and tying this in with a structure I could build from my lectures (say), I could develop a decent argument. Annoyingly, I've only put this together now, after I've done it all, but at least that means I might be able to help you!

In the same way, I found my biggest problem in not starting work til the last minute was that I didn't know HOW to approach it. If it's the same for you, I can't stress the importance of reading all the assessment literature and reading around the subject or question as much as you can. As you left it til the last minute, give yourself the best chance, and start as soon as you get the assignment. Means you're more likely to grab the books you need too - if your university is anything like mine, some of the books you need will be difficult to get hold of.

In my second year my room was so small, I didn't have a desk; and my housemates reneged on their bargain that I could use the downstairs table whenever I wanted. It couldn't have been worse, because it gave me an excuse not to do work but also nowhere to get settled and start work even when I wanted to. I ended up working on my bed and that made things messy and stressful. Seriously, if you can't get a desk, find somewhere you can easily get to where you can work undisturbed - my university had a couple of private 24hour rooms that weren't openly promoted. Speak to a disability advise (if you have one) about work places they may be able to provide. If you were going to move into halls, this issue would be sorted immediately, as they usually give you everything you may require in your room. There are usually quiet blocks and quiet times (especially around exams) in other blocks too.

Alternatively, if you can work later at night, when everything's quieter, you may not have to move. I found I could be more focused at night when I knew no-one would disturb me and also when a lot of people had gone out to clubs.

In my experience, it'd be best to go into halls but check with your university first to see if they have any buildings which might be more suitable for you.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
missteacup

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips