Switch to full style
Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)
Post a reply

Phone calls to strangers

Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

I've got work experience coming up, and I just got given a form saying that I have to phone up for an interview. I can only just manage to call up people who I know really well, like family, so how am I supposed to call up someone who I've never even met before? I have to do it by tomorrow and I don't know what to do or say or anything! Advice someone please?

Re: Phone calls to strangers

Mon May 17, 2010 9:27 pm

i cant tell you exactly what to say, but i have the same problem.

i find the best thing to do is to write/type in large, clear bullet point style writing what you have to say, and awnsers to any questions you are expecting to be asked.
also having someone else there you trust can help.

Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 pm

I also have the same problem-it's related to my autism. For the same reason, I never answer numbers that I don't recognise-voicemail is my saviour! I think what Abi suggests is good though. Just try to remember that it will all be over in a minute and try to breathe deeply if your anxiety causes you to stutter or have speech blocks like mine does.

Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 pm

*hugs* You could also write or email and expalin you have a fear of phones.

Tue May 18, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm terrible with this but I hold my breathe and do it anyway. even if its just phoning a taxi or a curry XD If there's tensity I get scared sending a message to anyone in general and cause problems. I have to book band practice too so I need to text and phone a lot. It gets easier but to me the fear doesn't go away.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I also have the same problem-it's related to my autism
Well I dunno if I have autisum (I'v never been tested) but I hate talkin to my bff on the phone (I'm 12) the only person I can talk to on the phone is my dad when I'm at my mums and my mum when I'm at my dads. I don't know what it is but I realy dont like them

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:21 pm

today i had to make a phone call about an incident that happened at cadets a while back, i found i froze up because i couldent remember the incident and i just couldent talk, i pretended to sneese to give me a few seconds to calm down. this helped.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 pm

I think Abi's suggestion is a very good one. I find that lists help me an awful lot, I know it's not the same thing but when I phone up for a takeaway I always have to write down my order so I don't forget anything. Same can be applied with anything though to be honest this way you can pre-plan things and even rehurse the phonecall if you feel you need to.
Post a reply