are we a free nation anymore?

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

exactly

Postby k9ruby » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 pm

A large number of the cameras are erected and used by ordinary people like us - business and property owners whose buildings have been vandalised, for example, or shopkeepers who want to stop things being stolen from their shops. We mustn't start assuming that this rash of CCTV cameras is some sinister government project.

Thankyou! :D :D :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Henri » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:43 pm

parnassus wrote:It's important to remember that unlike the telescreens in Orwell's 1984, all the CCTV cameras in Britain don't feed back to a central location so that we can all be monitored by a select group of people. A large number of the cameras are erected and used by ordinary people like us - business and property owners whose buildings have been vandalised, for example, or shopkeepers who want to stop things being stolen from their shops. We mustn't start assuming that this rash of CCTV cameras is some sinister government project.

Good point, but doesn't the opinion exist that this is merely setting up the infrastructure for the government? I have no doubt that during a period of 'national crisis', the government would not hesitate to demand access to the footage for surveillance reasons, and possibly have them feeding back to a single location.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:35 pm

you could not stream all the Video into one location from the whole of the U.K it would put too much pressure on the national grid *given the techological issues*

im not against more security cameras i am against identity cards because as the London bombings showed that those bombers where born in britain and radicalised else where therfore identity cards would not stop homegrown terrorists... therfore in my opnion Identity cards would be inneffecive plus what if you lose it? how many replacements can you get before they stop giving you one?

now i would mind someone listning into my phone calls E-mails or watching what i do but since this doesnt happen im quite ok however people still have the right to peacefull protest so once again everythings ok there however i dont agree with the holding times without charge
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby steve » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:06 pm

nothing really wrong with cctv. but there's far too much of it. i heard that as the average person walks a mile through london he'll be caught 143 times on camera.
steve
Super Poster

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:38 pm

yep its all over da place lol
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:02 pm

Yeah, personally I hate how governments are trying to invade on our privacy. I realize that there is a need for making sure that our countries (America and England) run safely, but do we really need to be arresting people for renting violent films or books? Not everyone who watches those or reads them is gonna turn into a psychotic killer.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

calls/emails

Postby k9ruby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 pm

About recording and listening in to telephone calls and emails, they will only be "listened" to if the conversations held contain certain words/phrases.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: calls/emails

Postby Henri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:19 pm

k9ruby wrote:About recording and listening in to telephone calls and emails, they will only be "listened" to if the conversations held contain certain words/phrases.

How will the police be able to detect these "certain words/phrases" without listening in initially?
Henri
Forum Master

first of

Postby k9ruby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:20 pm

First off, the police don't, the govermnet do.

Secondly, its computer software with voice recognition that "ignores" everything, and then recording calls is only activated if the computer detects certain words/phrases. Does that make sense?? :?
k9ruby
Site Admin

like a motion detction webcam

Postby k9ruby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:22 pm

Think of a motion detcting webcam. It doesn't record anything and ignores everything until something starts moving, then it starts to record. Get it?

:)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: first of

Postby Henri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:11 pm

k9ruby wrote:First off, the police don't, the govermnet do.

Secondly, its computer software with voice recognition that "ignores" everything, and then recording calls is only activated if the computer detects certain words/phrases. Does that make sense?? :?

Yes, it does. The police are a sector of the government, so I'm reasonably sure that they would be the ones responsible for enforcing measures such as this.
Henri
Forum Master

no

Postby k9ruby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:44 pm

The Police ARE NOT a sector of the goverment. (I would know lol, my dads clarified that). So they don't have anything to do with it. I think defence/intelligence would be more likely.

:D

Under exceptional circumstances they are allowed ACCESS to any evidence recorded under the Investigatory Powers Act of 2000 (RIPPA). They are not the ones recording it.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: no

Postby Henri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:11 pm

k9ruby wrote:The Police ARE NOT a sector of the goverment. (I would know lol, my dads clarified that). So they don't have anything to do with it. I think defence/intelligence would be more likely.

:D

Under exceptional circumstances they are allowed ACCESS to any evidence recorded under the Investigatory Powers Act of 2000 (RIPPA). They are not the ones recording it.

Of course the police are a sector of the government, it is ludicrous to think they are not. They are not a private company, Ruby, they are a state-funded organisation operating on behalf of the government, and the citizens.
Henri
Forum Master

:|

Postby k9ruby » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:35 pm

They are state funded orghanization, but they are not a sector of the goverment. :)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: :|

Postby Henri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:58 pm

k9ruby wrote:They are state funded orghanization, but they are not a sector of the goverment. :)

Well, I believe that a government-funded, state-directed organisation can be classified as an extension of the state. However, you are entitled to your interpretation of the police.
Henri
Forum Master

PreviousNext

Return to News and Current Events