Raising The Drinking Age

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Raising The Drinking Age

Postby Henri » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:23 pm

It has been suggested by a renowned police chief that the drinking age should be raised to twenty one. I can see both benefits and drawbacks to such a situation - one night out in a bustling town centre will shape your view - but is this another violation of liberty? Or a necessary measure in the prevention of a plethora of social evils which plague our society? Personally, I am undecided. Drinking is becoming a more prevalent problem in our society, but it is also embedded in our culture as a traditional British pastime. I know alot of people who would be personally dissappointed by the decision, and there is no doubt that it may cultivate frustration amongst the youth, whilst undermining the sacred age of eighteen, but the greater good may arise into the foray; prevention of crime and assisting our youth to a brighter future, in both medical and cultural terms.

Share your opinion.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:50 pm

You have to look over 21 to drink already (supposably) so I'm not sure that much will be changed.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:50 pm

Im not sure dat raisenig it will do much cause i no loads of youths dat get into clubs under age so im not sure the law would do much at all cause boze anit dat hard to get hold of but i mighit reduce the leval of teenage drinkers
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:52 pm

eastlondonluke wrote:Im not sure dat raisenig it will do much cause i no loads of youths dat get into clubs under age so im not sure the law would do much at all cause boze anit dat hard to get hold of but i mighit reduce the leval of teenage drinkers

It will reduce the level of drinks SOLD to teenagers, but I'm not sure you can prevent them getting hold of some if they really want it.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:57 pm

Dats like fags when your below 16 lol
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Henri » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Dan wrote:You have to look over 21 to drink already (supposably) so I'm not sure that much will be changed.

That is only if you cannot produce ID.

eastlondonluke wrote:Dats like fags when your below 16 lol

Cigarettes are going up to eighteen soon. I'm pretty sure it's already been confirmed.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Dork_Lord » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:50 pm

I can't see the measure working, a lot of young drinkers would never pass for 18, I think this would just penalise the responsible drinkers.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:36 pm

Yeh but sadly dats what happans when these new laws come around
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 pm

I dont think it will work- industry will loose so much income if you think raising the drinking age to 21 effectively loses the income from ages 18-20 and i dont think many pubs (around my area atleast) could deal with that drawback as many of the ppl i know seem to fit into this age group. I can see the logic in this scheme but overal i dont think it will work.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:37 pm

It'd create more problems with underage drinking.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:13 pm

Theres loads of bozers that close down every day
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:10 am

raising the drinking age will just make that as much as many of the other cons of drinking intensify.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:39 am

It could make a difference, but Martha raises a good point, there's a lot of tax on alchohol, if we stop a large percentage of the population buying it, the tax intake from them will come down, so either:

1)The tax on alchohol will be increased

OR

2)Government will have to tax something else or spend less money overall.

It's the same with smoking, they have a huge percentage tax, if all smokers gave up, our economy would take a big hit.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Chinagirl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:47 am

i think raising the drinking age is too little too late. i dont think it will help this countries drink problem though, cos teens can still get drink if thry really want to.
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Return to News and Current Events