The EU Constitution

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

The EU Constitution

Postby Henri » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:13 pm

Gordon Brown is preparing to sign a reformed EU treaty which as a consequence, would grant Brussels substantial power over the member states, including Britain. There is mixed opinion on allowing the European Union power over the everyday proceedings in this country - without calling a referendum - as this would be a huge violation of the state's right to its citizens and a miserable decision for all. The EU decisions may not be bad, but am I wrong in stating that we as citizens of British democracy are entitled to a say in the major decisions of our country?
Henri
Forum Master

Postby eastlondonluke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Yep we are aloud a say cause afterall we live in dis nation lol changes in this county can effect us plus i think dat we should just do things are way without all these over europian countreis joining in wid us cause we like power wid in our own nation not leting others joning in all da time but sometimes i gess its ok
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby steve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:55 pm

while i'm generally in favour of further EU integration, granting the public a referendum seems to me the only fair move, as it is our right as citizens, especially considering the EU is not enormously popular in this country
steve
Super Poster

Postby eastlondonluke » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:29 pm

I wish we wernt part of da ec realy but dats just what i think at da end of the day
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:46 pm

It's not actually technically a constitution - it's just a treaty. It will contain some, but not all, of what the originally proposed constitution contained.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby steve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:02 pm

it may not be officially a constitution but there is an extremely miniscule difference between the propositions made in the constitution and those in the treaty.
steve
Super Poster

Postby Henri » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:It's not actually technically a constitution - it's just a treaty. It will contain some, but not all, of what the originally proposed constitution contained.

90% I believe.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Syrons » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:53 am

I think we should sign it. Maybe this country wont be feel isolated from Europe Oh Yes we are actually in Europe. Most of the time it feels like we in North America.

I know nothing about politics so its like me with my mum talking about football or F1.

But i think it be better if we sign it, Maybe somehow we can be a bit more European and not so stubborn.

If it creates less wars and less problems then im signing the thing.

If Foreign chairmans are taking over are football clubs making them better, maybe a bit of French Influence and Italian and german can help the country lol

Some are saying this country going downhill some say it isnt and its the same. Personally i just dont like living here but i think this country is always been the same by past history is anything to go by, We are a arrogant country and sometimes weak which can make us look idiots like always getting our big daddy helping us America. i think if we are nice as what this country thinks it is then we should sign this treaty, as most European countries have. But at times are arrogance has helped us like wars and standing up and not backing down for what this country beleived in. But this country isnt perfect nor is any country. Im fed up of hearing Tony Blairs saying this is the best country maybe for choices it probably is. All of us get a chance and it all depends if they want to take it at school. We do get oppointiteys not like some countries like Brazil or nigeria which are corrupted and the people dont get the chance to shine.

We get many chances so yeah its good for opportunity's, but i do find it hard to find nobody arrogrant, event i got it. its the way we have to be i guess. not worry about people and move on and care about own options. But i never felt any sort of closeness around a place, It was said that a person got run over and cars just went past him and leave him there waiting for a person to help him, I dont know if there is this closeness in the world. But you seem to get it from people from other countries. I just dont know!

I think we should sign it know, we cant be any worse off or can we haha

What i dont get also is people are moaning around the uk that they dont get heard anyway so i really cant see the problem now lol

I know nothing about politcs so if im saying rubbish just laugh pleaase! :wink:
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:01 pm

We join the EU we lose our independence.
They wanted to stop us using our measurements system.
The Irish Would have their heads if the pint wasn't a correct term for the country. (going on stereotypes in a humorous sense here)

But really, The UK should stay independent if they know what's better for them. If the UK split does happen then I'd say different. I sure as well wouldn't want to be stuck with € for the rest of my days either.
Many would agree. The £ is a lot more solid a currency and more powerful than the €.

It's all politics, one of the only areas I flick a finger to and laugh at.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:28 pm

I think we should stay indipendant its non of der bisnis what we do
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Henri » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:13 pm

eastlondonluke wrote:I think we should stay indipendant its non of der bisnis what we do

There are many valid reasons for "indipendence" from the EU. We are not a naturalized European country; our culture is vaslty different from that of say, France, Italy, or Germany.

But in the era of globalization, it is necessary to work closely with the European Union on some fronts. The most important issue is that we all get a say in it, therefore Mr.Brown needs to curb his sneaky tendencies, and allow democracy to prevail.
Henri
Forum Master

Return to News and Current Events