Autistic Spectrum Cards

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Are the cards a good idea or a bad idea?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes : 12

Autistic Spectrum Cards

Postby druchi » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:36 pm

Well as far as i know police all over Scotalnd are being trained on the difficulties with Autistic Spectrum Disorders E.g Aspergers syndrome and Autisim are the main ones and my aunty who is head of the Autistic Society in Argyl and Bute helped make the police training video

just wondering what are peoples thoughts on this
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:29 pm

I think they're a good idea especially when interviewing people on the autistic spectrum as either witnesses, victims or suspects-I have heard of this in England before as well.
Steph
Forum God !

extremly good idea

Postby k9ruby » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Extremely good idea! :)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Yes - it's a great idea.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Henri » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Firstly, your poll question is nonsensical. "Do you think it is a good or bad idea?" is only relevant in a debate, not a poll. It does not require a yes or no answer.

Presuming that the intended question is "Do you think it is a good idea?", my opinion is mixed. I do not consider draining state resources in the name of political correctness as a viable method of operating not only the police force, but the country itself. Police should be educated on autism, but not extensively (a two-week course or so should suffice) in order to gain a basic - but not hindering - knowledge of the topic.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 am

i can see where your coming from Henri but ive actually asked for a copy of the video *its about 10 minutes long* and maybe ill post it on here if i find a computer genius :)

i do know an example from the video its a really hoy day and the guy is wearing a massive coat and of course the shop asistants *hes in a shop* think hes stolen something which then leads to some problems

then it shows the correct way to deal with that sort of situation

my stance or opinion on the subject is that it is a good idea as it will be handed out *i think* to anyone on the autistic spectrum including Dyspraxia my opnion is that this is a good idea as i often forget which train stop i get on and off at and this causes some bother with the ticket men/ladys
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Henri » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:11 pm

I would quite like to see the video. If it is on youtube, you could always send me a link?
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Henri » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:54 pm

I would quite like to see the video. If it is on youtube, you could always send me a link?
Henri
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:57 am

i dont think it will be on you tube but ill see what i can do when i get it

EDIT apperently its on the Strathclyde police site so im just checking that out now but i cant actualy find anythign :(
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby druchi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:13 am

Well apperntly im not allowed to post the video online :( but its extremely intresting its jsut a short 10 mins and shows some examples of how someone on the Autistic Spectrum might react

however Henri if you have ever read the 'Curious Incedent of the dog in the night' by Mark Hadden *or is it Haddon?* well the boy has Aspergers syndrome and is touch sensitive and apoliceman trys to touch him so he punches the police man

now the video is just showing how to deal with something like that and to keep the person with Autisim as relaxed as possible
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Return to News and Current Events