Blood test for pre existence of Alzheimers

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Would you take a blood test to check for the possibility of Alzheimers?

Yes
38%
No
23%
Only if I had a family history of it
38%

Total votes : 13

Blood test for pre existence of Alzheimers

Postby Steph » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:20 pm

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3061138.ece

Would you have it done? Personally I wouldn't as, because it lets you know an average of 6 years before the symptoms actually start appearing, I think you would spend 6 years worrying about it or I know I would anyway! I would prefer to just take it as it comes. However, some family members of people with Alzheimers have said that the warning allows time to sort out care options and pack as much as possible into life before the condition takes hold. So I was just wondering what everybody else thought about this.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Henri » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:31 pm

I personally would, since it would allow me enough time to deal with post-death arrangements (will etc), whilst my brain is still able to function.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

Yeah I guess but I guess, for me, since I worry about everything anyway, if I knew that I was going to have Alzheimers, I'd be worse than ever! I haven't even given a thought to wills yet-I am ridiculously disorganised when it comes to financial matters-it's one of the reasons why I'm not looking forward to living independently!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby druchi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:47 pm

i do have a fammily with a hiostory of Alzieimers *sp* so id definetly take it
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:53 pm

I wouldn't want to know, also, what's up with all these morbid threads? :shock:
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Dan,
Was that question directed to me? If it was, I wasn't aware that any other threads I created were morbid-sorry if they gave you that impression. I wasn't intending to be morbid with this thread-it's just medical testing fascinates me and it also raises some ethical questions so I was just wondering what everybody else thought of it- I'm sorry if it disturbed you-it was not my intention to disturb anybody.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Henri » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:29 pm

I interpreted it as a general observation on the amount of 'depressing' threads on this part of the forum. The fact is, Dan, that the majority of news content is not positive, yet that does not make it any less relevant.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:48 pm

I wouldn't take such a test. I think there would be time for me to put my affairs in order even after the first symptoms started appearing - the disintegration progresses quite slowly at first.

I also prefer to take life as it comes to me. There is no use worrying about what might happen in the future, especially as there is currently very little you can do to prevent a disease like Alzheimer's. What would be the point of the test? I would just get on with living.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to News and Current Events