'Iran attack plans' revealed

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

'Iran attack plans' revealed

Postby Henri » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:44 pm

Speculation is mounting over the possibility of a U.S led attack against the Islamic Republic of Iran, with U.S allies Israel and Turkey - and maybe even the U.K - expected to participate.

Iran's plans for uranium enrichment have seemingly provoked the U.S into planning an attack, as they fear that an expansion of nuclear capacity could precede the development of nuclear weapons. I suspect it lies deeper than this, with concerns over the middle-eastern hegemony of Israel featuring in the equation.

What is everyones' opinions the prospect of war in Iran? I personally believe it would be a grave mistake, as the inevitable outcome would be millions dead. Iran is far more militarily equipped than Iraq, thus is capable of retaliation on a far grander scale. In the worst-case scenario, Iran may call on the assistance of it's next-door neightbour, Pakistan, who may even seek to test out the strength of their nuclear arsenal.

I do not agree, besides, I seriously doubt that Iran posesses the intent to create nuclear weapons anyway.
Last edited by Henri on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Dork_Lord » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:44 pm

Invading Iran would be a catastrophic error in my opinion. Really, a bad idea entirely. I'm not sure whether nuclear war would result from this, I think people don't want to use nuclear weapons at all, because of the terrible consequences of even one nuclear weapon being detonated.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:09 pm

As a staunch Bush-hater and general hater of the war in Iraq, I do not support a war in Iran. Note to Bush: Quit trying to stop the terrorists as you are just breeding more by killing people, and start cleaning up the mess you've made in the Middle East before more people get killed on all sides! I know we can't just leave because then things will get much worse in respect to the violence there, but at least we can help the people whose lives we've destroyed and then hopefully bring everyone home peacefully. PLEASE don't escalate the war any more. I don't like the fact that this is turning into another Vietnam---fighting and dying for so long and not getting much good out of it at all. I do support the soldiers over there, but honestly, what are they giving their lives for if we see no progress from this war? I don't even know what we're fighting for anymore.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby steve » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:14 pm

a foolish idea indeed. iran may well possess nuclear capabilities but concrete evidence has yet to be presented. this remarkably resembles the case for the iraq war, a string of allegations and misconceptions thrown together, a regime childishly described as "evil". the current regime as it stands is pretty unpleasant, arming and aiding hamas and hezbollah encouraging holocaust denial. but the idea that they wish to "wipe israel off the map" is a gross misinterpretation. ahmadenijad was in fact quoting the late ayatollah khomeini who claimed that zionism like all political movements would eventually fall, just like he predicted the case with the soviet union. in any case, iran is incapable of wiping israel off the map while israel, with its large nuclear arsenal could quite easily wipe iran off the map.
so what is the motovating factor? one could claim that it's "all about oil". it's an expalantion used rather lazily but it does have merit. there is worry in washington that the various us-backed kleptocracies that run the middle east could be vulnerable to an islamist revolution just like iran and thus become too independent in their policy.
can we really trust the bush administration to plan another war? iran would most likely erupt into bloodshed in the aftermath of an invasion just like iraq did. it could also fuel anti-western hatred which is at an all-time high since the iraq debacle and open us to new terror threats.
also, is britain really equipped to engage in another war. military funding is at an all time low and resources are stretched from the iraq and afghanistan ventures.iran is also not iraq. they have alot more firepower and could easily unleash a hell on us the likes we have never seen. let's wisely avoid this war and send our troops to darfur where they're needed. i really am dreading the idea of an invasion which seems all the more likely every day
steve
Super Poster

Return to News and Current Events