Benazir Bhuto Killed In Suicide Attack

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Benazir Bhuto Killed In Suicide Attack

Postby hortonsheardawho » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Copied From BBC NEWS:

Benazir Bhutto killed in attack
Pakistani former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has been assassinated in a suicide attack.

Ms Bhutto - the first woman PM in an Islamic state - was leaving an election rally in Rawalpindi when a gunman shot her in the neck and set off a bomb.

At least 16 other people died in the attack and several more were injured.

I'm in shock the article then goes on to say that there have been attacks on Musharrafif, which shows an all out attack on democracy.
i will update when more info becomes available
"Mam, Forgive Me This Is Some Damn Fine Coffee"
hortonsheardawho
Forum Master

Re: Benazir Bhuto Killed In Suicide Attack

Postby parnassus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:06 pm

hortonsheardawho wrote:Copied From BBC NEWS:
I'm in shock the article then goes on to say that there have been attacks on Musharrafif, which shows an all out attack on democracy.
i will update when more info becomes available

Musharraf isn't a democratic leader. Today's other attacks were on supporters of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. (Sharif himself wasn't there, although the gunmen didn't know that.)

Musharraf has been the victim of assassination attempts before, but not from the anti-democracy crowd.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby steven » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:21 pm

very unfortunate
Last edited by steven on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven

Postby dragoneatscheese » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:35 pm

I don't know much about the womem
but I feel the country will end up in civil war
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Henri » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:36 pm

This is a heinous, awful crime. I was personally quite deeply affected by this; Benazir was Pakistan's best chance for democracy and an end to the extremism which plagues the country.

This is a nuclear state, and I sincerely hope that the extremists do not take hold there.

We can only hope that this, somehow leads to positive repercussions in Pakistan.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Cartouche » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:00 pm

I am increasingly worried. I can't see civil war being imminent, but nor will I see any sign of stability. I get the impression an awful air of chaos will hang over things, and I would not be surprised if the situation turned increasindly depressing without actually becoming something like a revolution.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby hortonsheardawho » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:45 am

Vicky, apparantley the assination wasn't b y the anti democracy crowd, but by muslim extremists within the city trying to get islamic law, now im only going by what is on BBC news so dont qoute me, which appears to me that somone is trying to manipulate the counry.
Cartouche, i think that it is down the line toward civil war, i mean with this amount of chaos what is going to be to be the stepping stone toward war??
"Mam, Forgive Me This Is Some Damn Fine Coffee"
hortonsheardawho
Forum Master

Postby mattie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. I always said that Islamic extremists would target anywhere, any place. :( It isn't just a question of the extremists targeting the West - they have little regard for human life in their own countries too!!

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Cartouche » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:37 pm

hortonsheardawho wrote:Cartouche, i think that it is down the line toward civil war, i mean with this amount of chaos what is going to be to be the stepping stone toward war??

Civil war implies a battle between factions, but I can't see things being anywhere near that orderly.

So they're now saying Al Qaeda. Why is it seemingly always Al Qaeda? AQ aren't the only Wahabist extremists, but it would seem so from the reports following any terrorist activities.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:10 pm

They are the only extremists that people in this country have really heard much about, and their track record of terrorist violence makes them a convenient scapegoat.

Not all violent incidents in countries with a Muslim-majority population are carried out by Islamists, although the signature character of this particular attack (suicide bombing) suggests that Islamists were involved. But the attempt on the life of election candidate Nawaz Sharif complicates things a little, suggesting that the killers could also be political dissidents or even hardline supporters of Parvez Musharraf. It is possible that the gunman blew himself up to escape detection or retribution rather than to 'announce' his allegiance to militant Islam.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:15 pm

hortonsheardawho wrote:Vicky, apparantley the assination wasn't b y the anti democracy crowd, but by muslim extremists within the city trying to get islamic law, now im only going by what is on BBC news so dont qoute me, which appears to me that somone is trying to manipulate the counry.

Militant Islamists make up a faction of the groups in Pakistan that oppose democracy, but only one faction. There are people who support martial law under Musharraf, and there is a smaller communist presence as well.

Bear in mind that Benazir Bhutto's party has dismissed the government's claim that it has 'proof' that al-Qaeda was involved. They suspect people who were working to further Musharraf's cause, either with or without his direct knowledge and assent. This is highly probable - he has been showing great reluctance to return Pakistan to democratic rule, despite a recent mellowing, and this turbulence could provide him with a very sound excuse not to have the elections after all.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Cartouche » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I think I heard her saying in October after the first attempt that she believed Musharraf was being deliberately unhelpful on the security side of things, refusing the protection that it was clear she needed.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:29 pm

Either way, it seems that religion is a barrier to democracy in may parts of the world, particularly the Middle East. :( We need to clampdown on religious extremists before more damage is done. :?

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:21 pm

Pakistan isn't in the Middle East. Its political circumstances are completely different from those in most Middle Eastern countries, especially as it is still working through the aftermath of colonialism and Partition. There was a strong religious element to Partition, but it wasn't connected with the kind of terrorist extremism that we see today. To understand the current situation in Pakistan it is necessary to look more at the history of the Indian subcontinent, not what's happening in the Middle East. It is also important not to assume that all the problems in the Middle East or in surrounding countries can be traced to religion. They can't.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby mattie » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Pakistan isn't in the Middle East.

I didn't say it was. It shares a few things in common with the Middle East though - in particular, its tendency to harbour terrorism and terrorist activities.

I disagree. Most of the problems in the Middles East are caused by a perverse form of the Islamic faith. Some young Muslims are brainwashed into hating Christians and the Western World.

Ironically, the great Winston Church warned over 50 years ago that he foresaw the next threat to world peace would come from Islamic extremists. Looks like he was right (as with pretty much everything else!).

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to News and Current Events