boycott the olympics?

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

boycott the olympics?

Postby steven » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:26 pm

yesterday,
Last edited by steven on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven

Postby dragoneatscheese » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:44 pm

i feel it is getting out of hand
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Cartouche » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Ahh, but genocide is only important if it happens in the right countries. Dafur is old news, and Sudan won't bother anyone but themselves and maybe Chad, but, honestly, who cares about Chad?

Please note that was cynicism and not my actual views.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:35 pm

we could boycott it but were hosting.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:00 pm

I don't know if boycotting it is going to do any good. Just because a few people aren't watching or going to it doesn't mean it won't go on and it doesn't mean that the people in Darfur won't continue to get hurt. I think if we want to take any action, we need to actually send people over there to help.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Syrons » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:28 pm

If we could go to the Olympics in Germany with Hitler in power, then we can
go to this one. Why don't we use the Olympics to send out a message about Sudan rather than boycotting the whole thing? Plus it's sport which has been use to create peace rather than use it as a weapon.

I think if we did boycott it all we doing is ruining athletes opportunities, which i thought was our whole campaign to have the Olympics, was about.
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Syrons wrote:If we could go to the Olympics in Germany with Hitler in power, then we can
go to this one. Why don't we use the Olympics to send out a message about Sudan rather than boycotting the whole thing? Plus it's sport which has been use to create peace rather than use it as a weapon.

I think if we did boycott it all we doing is ruining athletes opportunities, which i thought was our whole campaign to have the Olympics, was about.

Yes, I agree. Besides, because of that Olympics in 1936, Jesse Owens is an American legend. He showed up Hitler. :) And I agree with the part about maybe showing messages or commercials on how people can help the people in Sudan instead of just boycotting the Olympics, which is supposed to be a positive thing. We would just be turning something positive into something negative if we were to boycott it.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Henri » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Boycotting the Olympics would be grossly unfair to the athletes and all those involved in their preparation. Western businesses and governments aren't willing to turn their backs on the vast potential of the Chinese market, so why on earth should they suffer?
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Cartouche » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:52 pm

If we boycotted it, we'd just have our own Olympics boycotted by China as well as its friends. Tit-for-tat solves nothing.

Remember, North and South Korea are only united when it comes to the Olympics. It's a force for positivity, rather than the difficult diplomacy that extends everwhere else (especially after Kosovan Independence).
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Return to News and Current Events