I have decided i am going to vote for president

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:14 pm

Cartouche wrote:It's interesting how so few people know how deep the rabbithole goes.

I will say this. Obama isn't making these promises because he's like that. As shown in the debates, he can be extremely focussed and very sharp. However, people don't want that, so he is giving them what they want with these showy, somewhat shallow, speeches.

What do you mean by "how deep the rabbithole goes?"

I don't think that we Americans want him to be shallow and showy, at least that's not what I want. That's what President Bush is like and I definitely don't want a repeat. I think he's being sincere and he's kind of a "Bobby Kennedy" of today in that he's inspirational and he's got some good ideas. I have nothing against Hillary, but I just think we need some change and a new set of ideas in office. That's what Barack brings.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cartouche » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Hermionefan5 wrote:
Cartouche wrote:It's interesting how so few people know how deep the rabbithole goes.

I will say this. Obama isn't making these promises because he's like that. As shown in the debates, he can be extremely focussed and very sharp. However, people don't want that, so he is giving them what they want with these showy, somewhat shallow, speeches.

I don't think that we Americans want him to be shallow and showy, at least that's not what I want. That's what President Bush is like and I definitely don't want a repeat. I think he's being sincere and he's kind of a "Bobby Kennedy" of today in that he's inspirational and he's got some good ideas. I have nothing against Hillary, but I just think we need some change and a new set of ideas in office. That's what Barack brings.

Politics is full of rabbitholes. Some people believe what the media tell them (some people believe only what one medium tells them, others weigh the various reports up against each other). Some people go and check what the candidates have actually said, some read through all parts of their website. People vote without knowing the full story behind the candidates because doing so involves a good deal of digging.

It's hard not be sincere when talking about 'hope', 'change' and 'chance'. These things sound good, but are pretty empty of content. Obama has plenty of content, but he doesn't tend to use too much of it in his speeches. I know America has Bush-fatigue, but that doesn't stop 'I will change the way this country is run!' having a far greater impact than 'I will implent the following reform for the following reasons with the following targets and the following are the circumstances that may require the reform to be changed'. Detail gets in the way of good rhetoric.

Now, don't get me wrong. I far prefer Obama to Hillary. Plus, rhetoric is very important too, despite what Hillary claims. "I have a dream" didn't actually tell us very much about specifics, but as a message of hope, it had an impact that is today unquestionable. Rhetoric is important. However, it needs to be supported by detail. Obama knows this, which is why he has the detail, but leaves it largely out of his rhetoric. Clinton, on the other hand, is full of detail, which is why her rhetoric is far less inspiring than Obama's.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Cartouche wrote:
Hermionefan5 wrote:

Politics is full of rabbitholes. Some people believe what the media tell them (some people believe only what one medium tells them, others weigh the various reports up against each other). Some people go and check what the candidates have actually said, some read through all parts of their website. People vote without knowing the full story behind the candidates because doing so involves a good deal of digging.

It's hard not be sincere when talking about 'hope', 'change' and 'chance'. These things sound good, but are pretty empty of content. Obama has plenty of content, but he doesn't tend to use too much of it in his speeches. I know America has Bush-fatigue, but that doesn't stop 'I will change the way this country is run!' having a far greater impact than 'I will implent the following reform for the following reasons with the following targets and the following are the circumstances that may require the reform to be changed'. Detail gets in the way of good rhetoric.

Now, don't get me wrong. I far prefer Obama to Hillary. Plus, rhetoric is very important too, despite what Hillary claims. "I have a dream" didn't actually tell us very much about specifics, but as a message of hope, it had an impact that is today unquestionable. Rhetoric is important. However, it needs to be supported by detail. Obama knows this, which is why he has the detail, but leaves it largely out of his rhetoric. Clinton, on the other hand, is full of detail, which is why her rhetoric is far less inspiring than Obama's.

Oh, I see. :) I am proud to say that I am one of the few that has looked at his website to see what he has really said. I am taking an indepth look at all the candidates. I feel the media is untrustworthy when it comes to presidential canditates. You have to dig deeper.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:22 pm

what do people think of mike gravel. i like him but i think i may need to burrow deeper down.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby champagne_supernova » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:20 am

Everyone here seems to be a Democrat (or a Democrat supporter).

For the record, so am I, but I have Republican sympathies. Both parties make herrendous choices. Unfortunately, the people who are most suited to politics are much too honest for the campaign trail.
"To love one's self is the beginning of a lifelong romance" - Lord Goring of 'An Ideal Husband' (written by Oscar Wilde)
champagne_supernova
Advanced Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:29 pm

I would vote for Obama if I had the opportunity. At one time I favoured Obama, but was quite receptive to McCain as well. He would make a competent president. Unfortunately the way he sold out his principles regarding torture made me wary of him, and his choice of a running made me wonder exactly how effective a president he could be if he constantly had to pander to the more right-wing element of the Republican Party.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 pm

parnassus wrote:I would vote for Obama if I had the opportunity. At one time I favoured Obama, but was quite receptive to McCain as well. He would make a competent president. Unfortunately the way he sold out his principles regarding torture made me wary of him, and his choice of a running made me wonder exactly how effective a president he could be if he constantly had to pander to the more right-wing element of the Republican Party.

McCain's choice of running mate certainly seemed to be a factor in his losing last night. As you all know, I'm an Obama fan but I do like McCain as a person and I think that he gave a great concession speech last night. He seems like a very upright sort of guy. I didn't like Palin because she seemed too new at the job for my liking and she only ran the state of Alaska, which has a very small population. Obama was a leader in Illinois, the fifth largest state in the Union and I think he was a bit more qualified for president. Plus, Biden's experience will help him along the way. :) I'm so excited that I was able to be a part of history last night and that Obama's going to be president! We all know we need a big change in America and I believe he can bring that change if all of us help him out. :)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to News and Current Events