Antidepressants

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

For or against?

For
40%
Against
No votes
Don't have any opinion
60%

Total votes : 10

Antidepressants

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:58 pm

I heard in the news that antidepressants such as prozac, which have been said by scientists as drugs that do not work. I am taking prozac and I find that it has improved my depression and anxiety.If you take similar drugs which is your opinion? Do you think that they don't work or that they have worked wonders for you? I wouldn't say you take it once and you wake up next morning, suddenly bursting with happiness. No it takes a long time for the antidepressants to work. I think that by taking them I have improved and that if I continue taking them I will recover fully someday.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby bpcooper » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm gonna say don't have an opinion because I don't like taking tablets.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Spoon girl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:53 am

I take citalopram which has decreased my anxiety a lot. However, I am somewhat opposed to the fact that doctors dish out antidepressants without offering counseling or CBT. I think it should be a supplementary thing. I know a 14 year old who takes prozac in banana flavoured liquid form and whilst I don't doubt his need for help I'm disturbed that it is often handed out like sweets.
The capacity of the body is limited
Yours, mine, everybody's
But the capacity of the soul is unlimited
Your's, mine, everybody's
Spoon girl
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am

Antidepressants can be helpful, but they should only really be used as a last resort, rather than as the first treatment for depression. I think things like counselling and cbt may be more helpful, and I have no problem with antidepressants being used alongside.

Like all medications you need to weigh up the advantages of the antidepressant against the risks of taking it (all medications have side effects, and in the case of antidepressants these can be very serious). I don't think they should be used for under 18s at all without counselling, and only in those over if there's no other realistic option.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 am

they didnt say they dont work they said was that antidepressants only work on minor forms not major.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cartouche » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:50 pm

I'd say not to underestimate the placebo effect.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby carebear15 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:20 pm

i take zoloft and take at night abilify
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to News and Current Events