we had a earthquake this morning.

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

we had a earthquake this morning.

Postby carebear15 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:02 pm

it went through illinois too and it was a earthquake.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Weather/wireStory?id=4679497

http://www.wsav.com/midatlantic/sav/new ... -0002.html

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/earthquake ... 02914.html

A 5.2 magnitude earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people up to 450 miles away from the southern Illinois epicenter early today, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.The quake traveled the length of Indiana, but there were no reports of injuries or damage.The quake just before 5:37 a.m. was centered six miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville. It was felt in such distant cities as Indianapolis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Des Moines, Iowa, 450 miles northwest of the epicenter, but there were no early reports of injuries or significant damage.
Indianapolis police dispatchers and the National Weather Service said they received numerous calls from people who felt their homes moving at 5:37 a.m.
At Vincennes University, at the Indiana-Illinois border, all of the dormitories were evacuated when campus police ordered one of the students working as a resident assistant to sound the fire alarm.
"It felt like somebody was at the end of my bed, shaking it to get me up," said freshman Elisabeth Pinnegar, 19, Pittsboro.
A fellow student at first believed a car has crashed into the building, while others thought there might have been a train accident, she said.
"We have more trains go through our city everyday than most other cities, so it's not a big deal to hear them. First, I thought it was that. Then I saw everything shake. It felt like the ground was rolling. I screamed to my roommate to get up and out," she said.
"People were crying. People were on their cell phones. No one knew was going on. We live in Indiana. This doesn't happen here. We were kept outside for 45 minutes. There guys with no shirts on, people in their PJs," she said.

It was felt in Kendallville, in the northeast corner of the state.

“I was sitting at my computer,” Kendallville resident Andrea Brand said. “The computer starting shaking and the desk started shaking. The whole house was shaking.”

Indiana State Police spokesman Sgt. Todd Ringle of the Evansville post said he was shaken out of his bed by the earthquake.

Dispatchers told Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers to check tall buildings, bridges and electrical substations for damage.

Professor Michael Hamburger of Indiana University’s Department of Geological Sciences, said it was the strongest quake in the area since one of a similar magnitude near Carbondale, Ill., in 1968.

“What we’re seeing today is fairly typical in this area. It seems like we get earthquakes about this size every 15 years,” Hamburger told WTHR (Channel 13).

The quake occurred in the Illinois basin-Ozark dome region that covers parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas and stretches from Indianapolis and St. Louis to Memphis, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The organization’s Web site said earthquakes occur irregularly in the area, and that the largest historical earthquake in the region — a magnitude 5.4 — caused damage in southern Illinois in 1968.

The strongest earthquake to strike the west-central Indiana area was a magnitude of 5.6 and an intensity of VII (very strong) on Sept., 27, 1909. That quake was strong enough to topple chimneys and crack walls. It was felt over an area of 30,000 square miles, including the southwestern half of Indiana.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: we had a earthquake this morning.

Postby MR banana » Mon May 11, 2009 4:02 pm

wow that would have been scary as hell :o.Lucky for me because i live in scotland and we dont get any earthquakes.I hope you and your family and friends are ok.
MR banana

Re: we had a earthquake this morning.

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon May 18, 2009 10:15 pm

That must have been very scary - In the only earthquake I've been in, we were so far from the epicenter, that we all slept through it. (we were just out side of sorrento when there was an earthquake north of rome last month). Luckily, I can't imagion what it must have been like to be full-on caught by one. How were you

MR banana wrote:wow that would have been scary as hell :o.Lucky for me because i live in scotland and we dont get any earthquakes.I hope you and your family and friends are ok.

don't be too sure of that. I used to think england didn't get any earthquakes, but kent have had 2 (the 1st time my nan thought terrorists had blown up the channel tunnel - whilst it was small compared to some, it still damaged buildings).
It's suprising how many earthquakes happen, but are too small to be on the news.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to News and Current Events