End of the world in 9 days time...

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

End of the world in 9 days time...

Postby Remus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Have you seen this?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... 630897.ece

I know a lot of people are joking about it but this actually has me scared a little bit. I just don't think they should meddle in things like this.

Still, if it is the end of the world, I won't have to worry about college. :wink:
Remus
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:24 pm

Theyve been talking about this for years. Make peace were all doomed.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

didn't they say this last year?

Postby k9ruby » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:08 pm

Didn't they say this last year?
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby fraser » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:24 pm

These kinds of scares come up every now and then anyway. We have particle accelerators already - this one's just bigger.
And besides, if the world is enveloped by a black hole, you won't have time to worry about it :shock:.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby HairyLemon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm going on a school trip to go to CERN Somtime during the next school year so it's probably more appropriate to start worrying then.
No need to worry though, i'll try and control myself if i see any big Red buttons :wink:
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:17 pm

It's weird how on the week the world is supposed to end, the weather had gone completely crazy. Here, it has just been raining for days on the day! Reminds me of the ending of Pokemon Sapphire when it completes rains and if you don't do something, the planet gets flooded.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:38 pm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_3JaY4ffU

Here's a interesting video on it. I just don't get why scientists would risk the whole existance of life just for the sake of research! Idiots!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby HairyLemon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:32 pm

I think that video's hyped it up a bit. It makes it seem as if the entire thing is going to risk the whole of humanity for the sake of prooving theories that'll be of no use. When infact the discovery of the Higgs Boson will be very important to modern Physics. I don't think there's any risk involved in it at all its just scare mongering to make a news story. The scientists involved will have made sure that all precautions are taken to ensure a Black hole won't be created. There's nothing to worry about really.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby druchi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:46 pm

do you not think that if the end of the world was possible health and safety would have stepped in becuase someone might cut themself on the uber red button of doom?

well i have to be honest if it is the end of the world then about time!

they have been preaching about the apoclypse for too long
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:51 am

Wow that video was a bit one way. I'm interested on seeing what happens myself. Yes theres a risk but theres a risk in everything.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fraser » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:27 am

There's an article on the BBC with Stephen Hawking, http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne ... 598686.stm . He points out that these kinds of collisions happen every day in the Earth's atmosphere, and nothing bad happens.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby Remus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Ah, Professor Stephen Hawking. To be honest, I've never really liked him as a scientist. Just because he is a scientist, doesn't mean he doesn't get things wrong. I was read some of the Sun's comments on this and some are just really bad:

This is really scary, but what do you tell your kids, when they phone you at work, in tears and very frightened, to say the least, which is what my kid done. She was really upset by all this.

Who are they to play god with other peoples lives. Everybody says it's nothing to panic about and that they know what they are doing, but can we really be sure they know what they are doing when they have never carried out this experiment before? There is no proof that this will work.

Hi are names are Alison and darryl we have two kids one 8 years old and one 11 years old... Now how can you people play GOD and try and change the world when you should let nature take its cause... What about the billions of families and lives you are risking just for a stupid experiment that could go horribly wrong and where's the government when you need them to stop this stupid experiment from taking place i am outraged by this... People have a right to live and if this goes wrong what will you do NAFF all cause guess what we will all be dead because of you HOW CAN YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT!!!!!! P.S My 8 year old daughter said "please don't kill us!"

****** IDIOTS!! DO THE PEOPLE WANT THIS? DO THEY **** BUT THESE IDIOTS ARE TRYING TO BE GOD. SEND THEM TO A DISTANT PLANET TO TRY IT OUT. IDIOTS!!!!!!!

I think it's a real shame that with all the troubles in the world people would still choose to spend 4.4 billion on an experiment for the future ( if we have one ) rather than using it to help others here and now, and has all the the testing they've done so far been some-way responsible for the severe change in the weather systems we've been seeing?
Remus
Site Admin

sun

Postby k9ruby » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Not being insulting here, but this is the sun you are talking about, a tabloid which, as most of us know, like to blow things out of proportion. Like stephen hawking said, these things happen every day.

Even if the worst happens and the world does end, no one will know about it.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby HairyLemon » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Stephen Hawking isn't just famous for being a disabled Scientist. He's famous for being one of the cleverest in the world, if there's anyone who knows what there talking about it would be him. The media have just hyped it up to make an apocalyptic news story. I've heard people say they are taking a risk but in reality its so small a possibility there's no risk in it at all.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Who cares if it a small risk? It's still a risk nonetheless and it just stupid if they kill everyone just to prove a stupid theory. Why not just let nature take it course and let the earth end when it's wants too.

It cost 6 Billion dollars to build that machine but why? To experiment for the future? We have problems now. Global warming, pollution, terrorism, knife/gun crime, homeless people, people without food or water. All that money could be used to help those problems and make our present better instead of wasting money on an experiment which could go badly wrong or just not work.

Some scientists have tried to stop it already and why the courts let it go on I do know. If some scientists have tried to stop, there is obviously some risks involved.
Remus
Site Admin

Next

Return to News and Current Events