End of the world in 9 days time...

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:04 am

It scares me a bit too, even though I think deep down I know that it won't be the end of the world, and even if it is, then we won't be around afterwards anyway to worry about it.

and i think the money could have been spent better - like it could have been donated to help wipe out poverty and stuff.

I've just realised that today is the tenth - I didn't mean to stay up this late. (it's now 4am)
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:19 am

Well folks its 9.15 here and we're not dead yet. Now to wait 7 years for something to happen.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby druchi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 am

Funny how the world is still here...

but hey it could have been cool
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Like i said - Deep down, i knew it would be o.k.

although, apparently the collisions that were suppose to end the world haven't started yet.

I think I'm actually interested now in the results of this experiment, even though I dropped physics.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:16 pm

I was a bit disappointed - nothing happened! Just a boring old day! No earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes, tsunami, nothing out of the ordinary. Personally I'm glad it went okay and I hope those scientists don't find nothing to bad. *sighs* I hate scientists!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Not all scientists, i hope - If it weren't for them, lots of good things in the world wouldn't exist.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby HairyLemon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:25 pm

I'm really looking forward to finding out the results of the experiment. I wounder what sort of things they'll discover that can be put to practical use. I'm really interested in this aspect of science. I want to be a Physicist when i grow up. :)
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

we survived

Postby k9ruby » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:41 pm

WE SURVIVED! :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 pm

HairyLemon wrote:I want to be a Physicist when i grow up. :)

That idea sounds nice, but when i did AS Physics, all the equations started to confuse me. If you decide to do A level Physics, I hope you do better than i did.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:08 pm

AgentR wrote:I was a bit disappointed - nothing happened! Just a boring old day! No earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes, tsunami, nothing out of the ordinary. Personally I'm glad it went okay and I hope those scientists don't find nothing to bad. *sighs* I hate scientists!

Scientists are extremely important, they've cured many diseases, to say you hate them is a little stupid, in my opinion.

Also, the risk in this is so low, to ban this because of safety is like banning anyone going outside incase they get struck by lightning, do you not understand that?
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby HairyLemon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks Chocolatefudgecake, I have taken physice for A level and had my first two lesons yesterday which i Quite enjoyed ( i also have quite an eccentric teacher that i was hoping to get) I understand that this is only the start but i'm going to make a good effort to stay on top of the work.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:47 pm

Ah, I never really got Physics. I could do Biology and I was fantastic with Chemistry but when it came to Physics, the whole area just blew my mind. Good luck with it, though!

Dan wrote: Scientists are extremely important, they've cured many diseases, to say you hate them is a little stupid, in my opinion.

I like the old scientists like Einstein, Franklin, Newton etc but modern scientists I do not like. I know scientists have to meddle in things to discover but the other day I though they went over the line.

It's still a risk nonetheless and a far bigger risk than getting hit by lightning. Lightning not always a killer and when it hits it only hits a couple of people. How can you compare a couple of lives to everyone on this planet.

Ahhh... but who cares what I think? I'm the nature dude, I don't do modern technology and new science!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:43 pm

AgentR wrote:

Ah, I never really got Physics. I could do Biology and I was fantastic with Chemistry but when it came to Physics, the whole area just blew my mind. Good luck with it, though!

Dan wrote: Scientists are extremely important, they've cured many diseases, to say you hate them is a little stupid, in my opinion.

I like the old scientists like Einstein, Franklin, Newton etc but modern scientists I do not like. I know scientists have to meddle in things to discover but the other day I though they went over the line.

It's still a risk nonetheless and a far bigger risk than getting hit by lightning. Lightning not always a killer and when it hits it only hits a couple of people. How can you compare a couple of lives to everyone on this planet.

Ahhh... but who cares what I think? I'm the nature dude, I don't do modern technology and new science!

The chance was inconceivably low, it's probably more likely that everyone on the world gets struck by lightning at exactly the same time, hawking radiation disresputes the theory there could be any form of black holes anywhere, watch where you get your research from, never get it from a newspaper. Get it from an official article from someone who doesn't make money out of scaring you.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 pm

I heard it was meant to take about four years after it happened for the world to end though. Something about particles are released and nothing happens for a few years then a black hole swallows us up?!

I think it's a load of rubbish to be honest.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:21 pm

C wrote:I heard it was meant to take about four years after it happened for the world to end though. Something about particles are released and nothing happens for a few years then a black hole swallows us up?!

I think it's a load of rubbish to be honest.

They probably made that up to delay it until the 2012 Mayan doomsday theory.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to News and Current Events