School leaving age.

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

School leaving age.

Postby HairyLemon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:58 am

It said on the news this morning that kids starting secondry school this year in england will be the first to be forced to stay on at schools until their 17. Apparently its part of a new goverment initiative to decrease unemployment. I don't think this is a good idea at all because All the disruptive ones will stay and make life harder for the teachers and other students. I can't stand the thought of someone in say 5 years time being in the same position as that i was in, Where they hate school because of a certain group of people and having to put up with them for an extra year i think i would have gone mad. i was so relieved on the leavers day but it would just carry on for them.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby ~Jenny~ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 am

I didn't think it was necessarily that they were forced to stay in school but that they were forced to stay in some kind of education, because at the moment people don't necessarily need to be in school up until they're 16 as some people from my school were allowed to go to college instead
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby kerrianne92 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:25 am

Skool is bad enough in the time your there but adding another year! that just annoying, im going into year 11 next week and i cant wait to leave at the end (I would like to go to a different sixth from or college), my skool has given me nothing but grief, Id feel sorry for any child who was in the kind of situation i am and was forced to stay an extra year!
The system we have now may not be the greatest but it gives you the choice...I someone who left skool at 16 and got an appretiship and he still loves it, for him leaving skool when he did was the best choice he could of made
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby fraser » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:25 am

I like the idea of encouraging people to stay in education, but I don't think they should be forced. It seems strange that someone is legally an adult at 16, but they're not allowed to leave education and get a job.
It seems like a bit of a cynical way to cut unemployment.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:07 pm

I think that you are only considered to be a legal adult at eighteen, although you are given more choices and freedom when you turn sixteen. As Jenny says, under the new measures students will be able to choose where they complete their education, and it won't necessarily have to be academic - there are vocational courses and apprenticeships available for those who would like to start work straight away.

Personally I think that it would make more sense to improve the quality of education rather than adding an extra year. At the moment it's all too exam-based and there is not enough emphasis on skills that actually matter, such as learning a second language. I don't see how an extra year of education would be useful if it's going to be about getting a set of certificates with names like Level 4 Grade II Certificate in Passing Examinations Studies, and I suspect that this might be the case.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fraser » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Vicky, you're right about 18. It's 16 in Scotland, but I've just checked and it is 18 elsewhere in the UK. Oops.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby Brian » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:26 pm

It is 15 in Ireland or even 14 in some cases , I could drop out at anyday if I wanted to
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Re: School leaving age.

Postby mysticalwater » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:28 pm

I think that people should have whatever education they want after 16. I'm definately not staying in school but I want to go to college.
mysticalwater
Super Poster

Postby druchi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:27 am

I think the option to continue your study at college should be more widespread, honestly If I had been able to go to college a year or two ago I think I would have been over the moon.

Its not for everyone but thats why its an option, forcing people to stay in school longer is just bloody stupid.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Vicky. The educational system can't improve with the budget cuts the government is imposing on it. Teaching standards are ridiculously low and pupils get more and more apathetic every year. I agree with you about improving things, but improvement is difficult to do when budgets are being CUT.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to News and Current Events