Driving age possibly changing to 18 in Illinois

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Driving age possibly changing to 18 in Illinois

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 pm

I have heard that the driving age might be turning from sixteen to eighteen in a little while in Illinois. I am wondering what everyone from the UK thinks about driving age limits since (from what I've heard) the driving age there is 18. What are some pros and cons? Personally, I am stuck on this issue because we don't have many trains around here in Illinois and so the parents and siblings would have to drive the kids around for most of their high school years. On the other hand, kids would be more mature or at least, older when they begin driving. That is a plus because the older you get (unless you're really old) the better you get at driving. What do you think?
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Driving age is 17 in England-not sure about the rest of the UK-they keep debating raising it to 18 but it never seems to actually go through. I think it's a good idea in terms of getting rid of boy racers but you can't penalise everyone for the stupidity of a few and you still get boy racers aged above 18 too.
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Driving age possibly changing to 18 in Illinois

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 pm

I personally haven't even started to learn to drive yet, despite being old enough - i'm 18 in may.

Adding to your list of pro's and con's - the increase in cars on the road will go down for a couple of years, which, in a way, will make it slightly (Very, very, very slightly) safer than it woud be if they didn't change the age limit - the more cars, the more chances there are of road accidents.
Does that make sence?

Hermionefan5 wrote:I am stuck on this issue because we don't have many trains around here in Illinois and so the parents and siblings would have to drive the kids around for most of their high school years.

What about busses? or walking? that's how most teens get to school/collage here. some drive to collage, but they say it's hard to find parking spaces. not everyone can afford a car anyway. How far is it?
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:59 am

Steph wrote:Driving age is 17 in England-not sure about the rest of the UK-they keep debating raising it to 18 but it never seems to actually go through. I think it's a good idea in terms of getting rid of boy racers but you can't penalise everyone for the stupidity of a few and you still get boy racers aged above 18 too.

Its 17 in Ireland and learners must be accompanied by full licensed drivers
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:53 am

Brian13 wrote:learners must be accompanied by full licensed drivers

Learners have to be accompanied here too.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fraser » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:42 am

It's 17 across the UK, and learners have to be supervised by someone who's had a full license for at least three years. To be honest, I think there's a lot more to it than age. I think it would be a good idea if schools were more involved in driving education. I don't see the point in raising the age to 18 - I passed at 17 and I'm no "boy-racer" nor have I had any crashes.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Sorry, I totally heard it was 18 from some British actor.

As for other modes of transport, walking would not be ideal for most in my town unless you were not going very far. The streets are pretty busy and you have to cross quite a few highways to get where you want to go. Entertainment especially is pretty hard to walk to because of the highways. Some people ride bikes because we have bike paths and I suppose if they actually did change it to eighteen we would build more paths so kids could ride to school and such. We have buses that take the kids to school if it's too far away or too dangerous for walking/bike riding, but most kids in high school drive after their second year and I guess they'd just have to get used to taking the bus or riding with parents. We don't have many public buses in my town in particular, but about fifteen minutes away there are Pace bus routes. This would mean having your parents drive you over to the Pace bus route though. The train is also in that area. It doesn't go all the way to my town. I think there would just have to be a lot of sacrifices made and maybe it would actually be good. It might get kids off their couches and on to the bike or the sidewalk for at least those close to walk to places. Sixteen has been the driving age for years though and it would take much getting used to around here for sure. You get your learner's permit when you are fifteen here and you must turn sixteen during the time you are taking the class (I think that's correct anyway). Kids must now get 100 hours worth of driving in starting next year I believe. I don't know the exact number of hours anymore because everyone I know is over sixteen or way too young to drive. I'm almost positive though that this year's sophomore students must get 100 hours of driving in. I think it's a good thing...more practice, but I'm still not sure about the age change bill. They haven't passed it yet, as far as I know.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:34 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:I personally haven't even started to learn to drive yet, despite being old enough - i'm 18 in may.

Same here. I really should start learning...
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Dan wrote:
chocolatefudgecake wrote:I personally haven't even started to learn to drive yet, despite being old enough - i'm 18 in may.

Same here. I really should start learning...

I need to get a job first, so i can afford the lessons.
-ChocFC-
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:25 pm

I started to learn to drive a few days after my 17th birthday. I'm nearly 18 now, and I'm still a long way off. Sometimes I feel like my reaction speed and spatial awarness may be endangering pepole too much, but my parents insist, so I guess I'll just have too continue learning.

I prefer the New Zealand system of doing it in stages to anything over here.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to News and Current Events