Dad at 13

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Dad at 13

Postby Remus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:03 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 233878.ece

Have you seen this in the papers today? What do you think of it? For me, I know this is going to sound bad but I think it is just sick on so many levels. He is just too young and is no way prepare to father a child.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Oops... sorry, I haven't got a clue what's happened but it's made two other copies of this board. :oops:
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:32 am

I agree that he is too young and I think it is a symptom of our society today that children are having sexual intercourse. However, he may surprise everyone and actually be a very good father-so far, he has taken a lot of interest and, although it is only early days, that's more than some fathers. One of the girls in my year at secondary school is going to be 22 in March and has 3 children, the oldest of whom she had when she was 15. I know that's not quite as young as this boy but she still got judged terribly for it-however nobody can deny that she is a fantastic mother. She is engaged to the father of the youngest 2 and her kids ae well rounded and happy so I guess what I'm trying to say is you never can tell.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Spoon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm actually more disturbed at the fact that someone age 15 would be attracted to someone that looks 8. She was older and should have been able to make better informed decisions. I think they both were very niave and young, and that this is a sign that sex education should be given younger. However, it's brilliant that they are taking responsibility. That's better than a lot of people twice their age, and they should be commended for that.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Steph wrote:I agree that he is too young and I think it is a symptom of our society today that children are having sexual intercourse. However, he may surprise everyone and actually be a very good father-so far, he has taken a lot of interest and, although it is only early days, that's more than some fathers. One of the girls in my year at secondary school is going to be 22 in March and has 3 children, the oldest of whom she had when she was 15. I know that's not quite as young as this boy but she still got judged terribly for it-however nobody can deny that she is a fantastic mother. She is engaged to the father of the youngest 2 and her kids ae well rounded and happy so I guess what I'm trying to say is you never can tell.

I agree with you, Steph. I know some people who have had kids already (I'm 22) and they seem to be great parents even though they had the kids when they were in their teens. However, there are also a great many more who are not able to provide for the kid or don't care about the kid and those are the ones who end up getting lost in the school system or the foster care system. I think that being a teen is too young to have a kid. However, I'm not going to sit here and judge people who have done that. I didn't read the article, but I hope that he does whatever he feels is responsible. Personally, I think adoption might be best in this case where he is only 13, but I don't know. I don't know the kid and maybe he will be a good parent, able to give the kid a good life.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby casschr05 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:34 pm

I think its really bad and shows how bad our society is
maybe he (and she) will be good parents but its early days with a lot of press

I really hope that he will continue with an interest and unlike having a new toy that the novelty wears off.

At the moment I am a stage manager for a college production called 'Baby Girl' which is about a 13 year old pregnant girl and the father is also 13
based on what the director overheard on a bus (btw it wasn't written by the college) and its really not nice and seeing the article really makes the cast know that it happens :?

so yeah I think its bad, whatever happened to marriage first?
casschr05
Power Poster

Postby Creative » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:52 pm

No matter how much sex education is given then this situation may always happen sometimes.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:44 pm

I do think people are making a bigger deal about it because he looks so much younger and more "innocent" than the average 13 year old boy. Don't get me wrong-it is far from ideal for any 13 year old to be a parent but a lot of the articles do place too much emphasis on his physical appearance.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 am

Creative wrote:No matter how much sex education is given then this situation may always happen sometimes.

I agree it will still happen
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Re: Dad at 13

Postby Goldenhamster » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm inclined to think that Alfie wasn't the father, it was confirmed that the girl (who looked older than 15) had had other parteners who were older. Still, it must be terrible for them both, they're both so young.
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Update on this-DNA results have confirmed that he is not the father. I just think it's tragic that he's been dragged into the media spotlight and talked about all over the country when he's so young and he's not even the father.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Skinny3600 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 pm

typical chavs i say, that hes not the father some how dosent suprise me these days.
imo they should get done for under age, its stupid that they dont
Skinny3600
Forum Master

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:22 am

Steph wrote:Update on this-DNA results have confirmed that he is not the father. I just think it's tragic that he's been dragged into the media spotlight and talked about all over the country when he's so young and he's not even the father.

I don't believe a word of that, they are trying to cover up that he is the father.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:55 am

http://ukfamily.co.uk/lifestyle/news/
2009-3/general/alfie-patten-not-dad
.html

I don't believe they are trying to cover anything up. Logically, if that was the case, it would never have made headlines in the first place because everyone involved would want to hush it up. If I was trying to cover something up, I wouldn't go on the TV and contact all the newspapers about it.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:01 am

OK that link's been removed for legal reasons as I have read on news sites just now that the Daily Mirror are being taken to court over revealing the DNA results of an underage boy so all references to that have been removed from the Internet but, trust me, it has been revealed that he is not the father. I just feel so sorry for him.
Steph
Forum God !

Next

Return to News and Current Events