Store and company closures/bankruptcies/bad times blogs

Discuss the latest news in the media and voice your own opinions about the news.

Store and company closures/bankruptcies/bad times blogs

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:42 pm

I thought I would start a little blog for everyone to talk about the store closings and business bad times/bankruptcies so we could vent about stuff that's closing or doing bad. This has helped me out when I am worried about the economy so if you know of a place you like that's closing or having trouble post it here.

Blockbuster Video--doing pretty bad, but not bankrupt yet.

Border's Books and Music--second largest bookstore chain in America filed for bankruptcy. See "Borders" thread.

Starbucks--not doing as great.

GM, Ford, Chevy--doing really bad, almost bankrupt.

8.1% of America now unemployed--highest since 1983. Not sure about world statistics, but I think those would be higher so that's really really bad. If it gets to double digits here it will be horrible. THen they will actually have to start calling it a depression. SOme people are still calling it a recession, but I don't think so anymore.

Google now doing not so great. You know it's bad when Google and Starbucks report they're doing worse.

Retailers losing money in many stores, including lower end stores, which are feeling the crunch too. Overall, just a sad day for everyone around the globe. If GM, Ford and Chevy (or even just one) go(es) under then millions will be without jobs worldwide because so many work at making the car parts and selling the cars, not to mention the mechanics who fix them and the gas stations...

I hope the bail-out plan works. I pray for President Obama nearly every day. I was so spoiled growing up in 1990s America where things were so pleasant. Now I realize that life isn't quite so peachy and it's a good realization, but all the same I long for those pre-9/11 days. I do my best to help others and stay positive during these times.

I am glad for every day I get to go to work at the department store I love. I see more and more people applying there every day and it makes me sad that so many are out of work, but I am glad my family is still all employed. Some people I know have gotten cut off from big companies.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:42 pm

My department store is doing all right.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Store and company closures/bankruptcies/bad times blogs

Postby intowiz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 am

Theres only a handfull of movie rental places i know of left. Its sad really. I think its because of peaple doing the internet ordering thing thats killed blockbusters and other rental shops. So now you cnat spontaniously rent a film when you feel liek it.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:46 am

One of my favourite cafes in my home town has closed down. I always used to enjoy eating there with one of my friends from college. The thing is there is so much competition in my home town because literally every other building on the High Street is a cafe.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Philip » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Any company which goes into administration/bankruptcy etc is sad, with people losing their jobs.

There is one shop which close down last year at that was Woolsworth, also with Zavvi going as well, both of these shops I use to love going into.
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Philip wrote:There is one shop which close down last year at that was Woolsworth,

Technically, woolworths was closed this year - 4th or 5th of january i think.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:47 pm

I thought each Woolworths store closed individually-certainly I know some of the local ones to me had closed down before I came back from travelling in December.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 am

yes, they did, but the last store closed in january. the one in southampton closed before most people knew they were struggling, but our store - the one in fareham was one of the last to close.
Plus, the name was bought by someone who's re-opening it as an online store - http://www.woolworthsblog.co.uk
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to News and Current Events